Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys shoot from a treestand, do you shoot sitting down or standing up. I hear people talking about needing to stand up to be accurate, but is standing really a must? Also, do you stand the whole time you are up there or stand up shortly before shooting...? I would think that you'd scare off more critters by standing just before shooting, than just shooting sitting down...?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Shooting from setting position

In my treestands ,Usually shoot from a setting position,I practice doing so several weeks befor season.
set a chair on the deck and fire away. I find most of my hunter friends who must stand to shoot pull very heavy poundage.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have trouble pulling my bow while sitting. i practice shooting while sitting before the season, because i do most of my hunting from a tripod, and standing is not really an option. do most of the guys that shoot standing up, stand up the whole time they are in the tree...?

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Usually i will stand if I can, if one comes in quick I will shoot from my seat, when it comes in to my left anyhow, if one comes in from my right I have to stand and turn in order to shoot, same as one coming in from behind.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I try to stand for the first hour and last hour of light. In between i will sit, as soon as i see movement i s-l-o-w-l-y stand up and get my bow ready.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you ever have any problems running deer off while your standing...? or do they really ever look up there...you know...as long as you are slow and quiet?

·
Ya hey
1,437 Posts
They look up

That being said, not always. I have occaisionally gotten away with a ridiculous amount of movement with deer inside 20 yards - usually because I didn't know they were there. Occasionally, if they're young and dumb enough, they can even see you and not know what to make of you. Just last weekend, I was setting up a stand in advance of the season and brought my bow and target block along to throw a few from the stand. I shot, climbed down, moved the block to another lane, climbed back up, fiddled with my arrows, got all set to shoot, look up, and here are a doe and fawn, 2 paces to the right of my target, watching me. I laughed out loud, the doe jumped, but turned around again to stare. It kinda bummed me out that I was accidentally training them to look up, but what can you do?

To answer your original question, I always stand (if I won't get busted) at the first sign of a deer. I've practiced shooting while sitting a lot, and there's just no getting around it - I suck at it. If I can't stand, I don't shoot.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Practice both to see which one you prefer or are more acurate with

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've done both. It just gets old sitting all the time. I will stand up for awhile, sit down, repeat, repeat. If I hear deer coming, I will stand. If they get in close enough to see me while I am sitting, I will shoot from a sitting position. I have killed bucks both ways. More than anything, it is a question of form and preference. Practice both ways and be proficient both ways and you have no worries!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I prefer to shoot from a standing position, but practice shooting from all positions imaginable. That way I can be versatile and ready for any type of shot opportunity.

So I'd say .......practice, practice, practice. Don't be a stick in the mud and do it the same way over and over.

JMO,
Greg

·
Registered
786 Posts
I prefer to shoot while standing, but if a shot presents itself to my right (I am Left Handed) while I am sitting, then I will take the shot if I am comfortable with it. It takes practice for sure...

·
Registered
224 Posts
I do the same as Bowtech Joe. I stand the first hour and last hour otherwise I sit. If I have to shoot I feel more comfortable standing but I practice sitting as well as kneeling. I also hunt out of a ground blind so kneeling is important as well.

I have never had any problems going from a sitting position to a standing position with deer around. Hopefully if the wind is right and you are quiet you can stand without being seen as well as drawing.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i'll play around with it and see. my stand creaks a little when i stand up in it...so i might find away of silencing it so that i can stand. the deer are so skidish around my place, i swear they can hear you blink.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
i stand all the time. the only time i sit in my stand is when im waiting for it to get daylight. i shoot a lot of indoor target and im used to standing for long periods of time. but i also practice sitting down. jusy in case for some reason i have to rest a little.

you should practice both ways. you never know when you just might need to make a shot in either position. a bowhunter thats does not prepare for the unexpected will get caught.

Shoot Strong
Tony

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I make sure my tree stands have a high seat level, at least 20", preferably more. That way it is very easy to bring yourself to a standing position with very little effort or movement other than straight up. Like the others have said, I stand during prime time, then sit. At the first glimpse of a deer or if i hear one coming I'll ease into a standing position. I can and will shoot from a sitting position, but your range of movement is limited and deer are too unpredictable to depend on them always entering your chosen shooting lane.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
AR37_Shooter said:
i don't have trouble pulling my bow while sitting. i practice shooting while sitting before the season, because i do most of my hunting from a tripod
AR37_Shooter,
Welcome to Archery Talk! :welcome:

The fact that you've practised this technique, says it all and should be standard proceedure by any bowhunter. :thumb:

AR37_Shooter said:
my stand creaks a little when I stand up in it....so I might find a way of silencing it so that I can stand.
Good idea and try some silicone grease, as most brands are odor free. :)

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah...it felt wierd at first, but after doing it for a while, it was kinda nice. plus, my neighbors can't see me shooting in my yard if i'm sitting down. if i stand up, all 6'5" of me, they know what's going on. i just wish i was one of those guys that had the ability to practice shooting off of my roof...i guess i could, but i don't think my home owners assc would like that too much...:)

·
Registered
801 Posts
I try to stand in my treestand for most of the hunt. However, I have found for myself that it is really hard to stand still for a long period of time, so I will sit every now and then. I have never taken a shot while sitting, because my treestand will not allow it (Summit Goliath). So if there is a deer approaching while I am sitting, I will try to stand while the deer is behind a tree.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
im a squatter...

what works for me is to
a). draw horizontally like you always do when practicing
b). lean down from the waste. keep mental check that your shoulders are in a straight line.
c). let er rip!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think it is a personal preferance which ever you are more comfortable with I myself have to stand cause that is my best shooting angle. find what works for you.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts