Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just getting into trad shooting and looking at getting a shooting glove. Doesnt have to be the top of the line just something that isnt going to wear out fast. What brands should I be looking at?

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
The Damascus glove is the best for me - I shot alot - daily - and I go through one a year - I can feel the string - yet it still protects my fingers, it fits like a driving glove - and it is made in the USA - and it is less than #15.00,

what else can you ask for in glove. - :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
The Damascus glove is the best for me - I shot alot - daily - and I go through one a year - I can feel the string - yet it still protects my fingers, it fits like a driving glove - and it is made in the USA - and it is less than #15.00,

+1 for the Damascus glove im just getting back into traditional i ordered a Predator Hunter last night, shafts feathers all the other little things and also a Damascus glove ive always used it in the past and like SB says its soft enough to feel the string and protects the fingers.

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
oh - and don't fall for "damascus style" gloves - make sure it is the one and only Damascus Glove from Dakota

·
32,607 Posts
I'll have to give the Damascus glove a try......The one I have is OK (NEET) but it could use some improvement....

·
Registered
11,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Do you have a link where to buy them?

·
Premium Member
11,427 Posts
Damascus is great from day 1..it's thin but also subtle for good fit and doubled at the finger pads..i can just "start" a blister if i get up into hundreds of shots taken in a single session but..i dont like the cardboard'ish feel of hard, thick leather gloves..takes to long to break in and stupid shid can happen when i cant feel my string..Been shooting mine hard everyday now for the past 6 months or so all is still well..thinking i'll probably buy a back-up next visit to the pro-shop though..and they're cheap enough.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I like the 3Rivers Duraglove. Good feel and decent protection for your fingers. Thus far, mine has lasted well, and I tend to go through gloves pretty quickly. Works okay even when soaked with freezing rain (same cannot always be said for the archer wearing said glove).

If you find that you like a tab, they do last a lot longer than a glove, especially the Cordovan tabs with multiple layers of leather. I started with those, but since I've changed my form, I need the flexibility of the glove.

·
32,607 Posts
I like the 3Rivers Duraglove. Good feel and decent protection for your fingers. Thus far, mine has lasted well, and I tend to go through gloves pretty quickly. Works okay even when soaked with freezing rain (same cannot always be said for the archer wearing said glove).

If you find that you like a tab, they do last a lot longer than a glove, especially the Cordovan tabs with multiple layers of leather. I started with those, but since I've changed my form, I need the flexibility of the glove.
I went to Bass Pro and bought both....a glove and a tab. I tried the tab with three under and it didn't work for me. Course, right now nothing seems to work for me. I need to get the right limbs so I can concentrate on form and accuracy.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
A cordovan tab is the best finger protection that you can find, nothing else comes close. Anyone who says they can't shoot with a tab either hasn't tried, has the wrong size or is doing it wrong.
The other falicy is "feeling" the string. That is the last thing you want, it should feel like nothing more than distributed pressure. Anything else is just asking to develop a wicked pluck.
-Grant

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I have a Damsacus glove that is getting a little worn. So I was trying think of what I could do before getting a new one. I have an old neet glove lying around, so I cut off the leather finger parts of it and inserted them inside the Damascus glove. After a little triming and it worked out great.

·
32,607 Posts
Try a Bigshot glove, superb protection and they last a long, long time.
You usually get what you pay for but the Bigshot is sure expensive! Is it worth the $40.00 to $50.00 for one?

·
Registered
136 Posts
For me it is, I had a problem with my ring finger going numb ( multiple dislocations playing softball). The glove solved that problem and it's just over two years old and has plenty of life left in it. They shoot different then softer gloves (stiffer), but easy to get used to.

·
32,607 Posts
For me it is, I had a problem with my ring finger going numb ( multiple dislocations playing softball). The glove solved that problem and it's just over two years old and has plenty of life left in it. They shoot different then softer gloves (stiffer), but easy to get used to.
Sounds like they might be worth it. I've always had sore finger tips after shooting a bunch of arrows. Also, I need to quit shooting off the tips of my fingers!

·
Banned
7,677 Posts
PLEASE do not pay attention to comments like "regarding feeling the string - that is the last thing you want" - or implications that no matter what if you have issues with a tab you are doing something wrong - because those comments are personal opinions - states as fact.

1. If you shoot instinctive it is all about feel - I do shoot instinctive and have for many years - I have tried other gloves and I prefer to feel the string through the glove - and my release is just as clean as anyone who shoots fingers - with any glove or tab

2. I tried a tab and depending on where you anchor and how you shoot there can be issues - I slapped my nose with it - I trimmed it and trimmed it - and still had issues and then thought to myself - why are you fixing something that is not broke - I can shoot with the top shooters in my class - why mess with it - so the tab went in the trash.

·
32,607 Posts
Most people I've seen shooting a trad bow with 3 under are using gloves. I tried the tab by Neet and it just didn't do the job for me. Felt weird!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts