Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theoretically, if it is during the bow hunting season, I have a hunting license, I live outside city limits, and deer are eating at my garden, could I shoot them with my bow? I have a Mathews Mission Craze at 60 pounds.

·
Loving Me Some Spirals!
13,471 Posts
Check your regulations

·
Back Yard Champion
33,898 Posts
Outside the city limits should be legal. Now, depending how close your neighbors are and their attitude might throw a "wrench" into the works.

·
Registered
14,590 Posts
depends on city and state laws. in Kansas, outside of city limits you would be fine given your neighbors aren't right on top of you. The city i live in, you have to be on 20+ private acres to be able to shoot a bow inside the city limits at an animal.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I can shoot in my backyard, but can only shoot out to 40 yards, I have a couple block targets, I use and a tall wooden fence, as far as city allowing it to go on, several guys shoot in town, but as soon as someone gets hurt I can bet the city fathers will take a closer look at it. I think if we as Sportman do it responsible there should not be a problem.

·
32,872 Posts
I had a neighbor at Hilltop Lakes near Normangee, Tx shoot a deer in his front yard ( we had them in droves) and someone heard the shot and called the Game Warden and he was in a mess of trouble. Almost every day I had 15 to 20 deer in my yd but I put corn out for them in 2 liter bottles. Anyway, they fined him for shooting the deer....there were many times I had to stand on the tee box and wait for a herd of deer to cross in front of me, taking their time and eating too before I could tee off......

·
32,872 Posts
BTW, I shoot within the confines of the city limit of Tyler, Tx and so for no one has said anything to me about it. If I have to quit, then I'll be looking for another place to live asap. Gotta shoot my bow at least every other day..........

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok. well, seems like it's legal. I'm still gonna call the game warden of Forsyth County (where I live), if I can find the number. The neighbor thing shouldn't be a problem because we have a couple acres of land, and they are always coming over to ask me about my hunting trips and stuff. So no one here is against the idea of it. And also, I know not to bait them in. (My cousins got into some trouble with that. Definitely do not wanna go there!) haha

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Make sure you know all the regs, so just talk to the CO. It is likely legal being outside of city limits, but some places have a clause about how far from inhabited structures you need to be, or potentially other local ordinances.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Where I live , once outside of village limits, only have to be 10 feet off the road. That is hunter has to be off road, game could be in road. Also, land is considered open unless posted so no need to go to back yard. The village laws are for firearms, so if you wanted to push things bow and muzzleloaders should be ok til they write a new ordinance.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Bows are very quiet, and I doubt anyone would hear it or know the difference unless the deer ran onto a neighbors property to die.

·
Registered
36,982 Posts
as long as you have a hunting license , I feel you will be OK .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My backyard is big enough that I don't think I have to worry about being a certain amount of feet away from something. I'll most likely be shooting from my woods, into my woods. But there is one problem though... I'm 14 and don't have a license, (that is why I said "theoretically" in my first post) but my dad does and a lot of my family. I've never been hunting without someone in my family in a stand a couple yards away, so I don't know what to do in this situation with licenses and such.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.