Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

New to the forum with an odd question but figured I'd ask. I am now living in San Antonio and am in need of a place to shoot my bow. There are a couple of ranges, however, none of the ranges meet me needs (type of targets, price, etc.). What I am looking for is a place to set up my own 3D target and shoot (all I need is 20 - 30 yards). I've driven most of the rural areas on the south side of town with the intent of knocking on some doors and asking some farmers if they minded me target practices on a small corner of the their property (some of them 200+ acres). The problem is that I can't even get to their doorstep because their driveways are gated and the property is fenced around the entire perimeter.

I live on a military installation and they have shut down all the archery. They no longer allow target practice, even though we have hundreds of acres of woods and outdoor terrain. Does anybody know the best way of asking people for permission to target shoot on their property? Does anyone happen to know anyone down this way that wouldn't mind? It would just be me by myself for target practice.

-Thanks in advance for any information

·
Registered
604 Posts
If i'm not mistaken, Camp Bullis out I10 has regular 3D shoots. Check into there. What part of San Antonio are you in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is a shooting range on the south east side of SA called "A Place to Shoot". It's off of 410 and Pleasanton Road.They have archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges. Cost about $8, no time limit. They have archery bales and the $8 includes a paper target. They also allow you to bring your own target if you prefer. The archery range I believe goes up to 50 yards and has a covered firing line. Typical rules like field points only, no broadheads. They are not a archery shop, just a range. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i'm not mistaken, Camp Bullis out I10 has regular 3D shoots. Check into there. What part of San Antonio are you in?
I'm on the south side of town. It's kind of far from Bullis but I have been wanting to try their 3d shoots (only offered on Saturdays). I am looking for something closer that I can use for semi-daily practice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a shooting range on the south east side of SA called "A Place to Shoot". It's off of 410 and Pleasanton Road.They have archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges. Cost about $8, no time limit. They have archery bales and the $8 includes a paper target. They also allow you to bring your own target if you prefer. The archery range I believe goes up to 50 yards and has a covered firing line. Typical rules like field points only, no broadheads. They are not a archery shop, just a range. Hope this helps.
I have been there. My problem is that it's over-priced. Their targets are torn up to the point of pass throughs on center hits. Bringing your own target is a good deal, however, I feel like if I'm bringing my own target, the $10 fee is way too high. I feel like $4 or $5 is much more reasonable if I'm shooting my own target. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
You might try stopping in at some of the feed stores and ag supplies, and chatting with the counter help. They know all the local land owners. Maybe pass out a few "business" cards with your name, number, and a polite question. Probably wouldn't hurt to mention the military thing.

We've done this when looking for a hunting lease, and it's worked a few times.

Best of luck to you. Hope you enjoy San Antonio. Some mighty fine food to be had, and the senoritas tend to be pretty nice as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts