Archery Talk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i set up a Morrel bag in my garage and was shootin down the drive way (30 and 40 yrs) bow as shootin great (i was doing my best) i went through my paces (40-60 arrows) and as soon as i packed up my stuff and put the door down the "Fuzz" rolls through. Now i live off of a man road and well its the first time i have seen the Police come down my road in 2 yrs i have lived here.

So guys what do i do? Do i talk to my neighbors about my shooting and see if i can come to some agreement. Or just keep shootin till the police roll up the driveway.

(shooting bow in town is considered "discharging a firearm" and therefore illegal, it was just hoping the neighbors would live there own lives and leave well enough alone)

·
Registered
359 Posts
i would talk to my neighbors. if there's young kids in the area i can see where the parents would be concerned. i live in the city limits, and shoot into my garage. the difference is i shoot just a few arrows at eight to ten feet for paper tuning.

i would also check what kind of fine is involved for this. good luck, and be careful. i've seen arrows do so weird things.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
You can't do it. You could apply for an exemption; but nobody in their right mind is going to exempt an existing ordinance to allow you to shoot in your driveway. If you were to secure a building; or construct a baffled outdoor range; you might have a chance. I don't think you have any future at all with shooting in your driveway.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I know a few guys who have been "talked to" about shooting in the city limits, but they never get in too much trouble. Most cops (with any common sense) know that shooting a bow in the city limits is nowhere near as dangerous or noisy as a gun, but they still frown upon it. Then you have that one Rambo cop who would ticket his own mother and would throw the book at you. I'm not sure I'd chance it (although I do it every day :wink: ) LOL

·
Registered
703 Posts
Keep on Shooting

I say the same thing as CBR, keep on shooting. When ever I get my bow in I'm going to be shooting it in my back yard where I have a privacy fence and about 20 yards.

I won't be shooting my firearms but will be shooting my arrows, and having lots of fun.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I shoot all the time from my drive way across the road to an empty lot. Just this afternoon I had an older couple drive by and they were looking at my 3-D deer target :eek: I think they thought it was a live deer. There is a law in town that states that you can not discharging a firearm but archery equipment doesn't fall under those guide lines. A bow is not a "Fire" arm. One main reason they have that law is to keep the kids from shooting their pellet guns around town. (I know a pellet gun doesn't "fire") but the police are more concerns about Pistols and Rifles.

I have had neighbors call in on me and I also have had the police show up after they see me shoot :eek: that don't have any problem letting me practice anywhere in town. :wink:

Check with your police department if they tell you its OK then just buy some rubber blunts for those nosey neighbors :eek: :wink:
Archermike

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
Just keep shooting and keep a couple suction cup tipped arrows handy. If they roll up show them those:wink: Where I used to live it was illegal to have an open fire unless you were cooking. Well after the local fire department showed up due to one of my neighbors blowing the whistle:mad: , I always kept a rock wrapped in foil next to the fire pit claiming it was a baked potato...just in case, but they never showed up again.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
It's illegal to discharge any weapon in my city. Across the road behind me is also a very large pre-school. While at the range in Santa Clara County, an older club member there told me that a few people had not been ticketed or arrested, but their equipment had been confiscated. Can you afford a new bow?

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks alot guys, ill check with the police tomorrow and find out what the law really states.

then i might ask the neighbors "in a polite manner" if they have a problem with it.

·
Registered
824 Posts
If they tried to confiscate my archery equipment they would have to arrest me because one of the officers would be wearing my bow wrapped around his neck!

Archermike

·
Anointed Arrows
1,088 Posts
Remember

You represent archery and bowhunting to the people of your community. Please act according to your best judgment. I love shooting in my backyard even though I only get about 15-20yards. When the neighbors aren't home and the kids are in school then I go down the driveway to the front of the house and shoot back into the yard and this gives me about 30-45 yard distances.

·
300 or bust
13,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
peace said:
You represent archery and bowhunting to the people of your community. Please act according to your best judgment. I love shooting in my backyard even though I only get about 15-20yards. When the neighbors aren't home and the kids are in school then I go down the driveway to the front of the house and shoot back into the yard and this gives me about 30-45 yard distances.
true enough, ill do my best. I learned a valueable lesson from experience "dont loose your cool" because you can get suspended from school or worse. IF i cant convince them its OK then ill just shoot in my basement again (17 yrds)

But if i find out its not illegal to shoot a bow inside city limits, and my neighbors still dont want me to shoot, well screw'em im not breaking any laws and they are just being intolerant.

·
Registered
9,807 Posts
I shoot all the time into my garage and have to stand about 6 feet into the street to do so. I usually do it late at night after midnight and I can hear a car coming pretty far off. As soon as I hear a car coming I walk up in the drive and have the bow between me and the car driving by.

NEVERY let anyone see you at draw with your bow.

I also called the local police dept and said my son got a little bow for his birthday and could we shoot it into the garage standing in the driveway? The lady said sure. So I got her name and would do the "Sara said" routine if confronted by police.

If you take a low profile and be a bit stealth about your shooting you should be fine.

ox

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
this past summer an archer, just like you and I, was "asked" by a neighbor not to shoot when his kids are around. the archer said, "he has the right to practice in his own backyard." 1 month later there is a city ordenance banning any archery practice within city limits.

·
One Shot
9,181 Posts
I quit doing this after making an equipment adjustment (poorly apparently) and blowing through my privacy fence into the neighbors yard. Bad enough to be embarrassed, looking for an arrow in someone elses yard. I hate the thought of what "might" have been. I make the drive to the range now. Still use the basement. Figure no matter what, I can't shoot through all that concrete.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i feel lucky i have 150 yards from my house to the treelin bhind our house. about 100 yards of it isnt ours, but the lady that owns it lets us mow it and shoto woodchucks and .22s and pellet guns, although not much gun shooting becaus other neighbors would complain (she doesnt really care) I shoot my bow out there and when somone complains about that im gonna petition them to be kicked out of the neighborhood because if i miss the target the arrow goes 10ft max (shooting into a slight hill)

i understand no guns being fired, but a bow is a bit different...especially with your garage as a backstop!

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Tell your local police to look up the legal definition of a bow. It is not a firearm! "Discharing a firearm" means guns, not bows.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I shoot inside my apartment.... yeah the distance is about 5 yards, but I get to practice form and my muscles get the excercise. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
As a police officer I did not appreciate the comment of wearing the bow around the neck. Remember the cop is doing his job. He was most likely called by one of your neighbors. If he does not respond and handle the situation to be best of his ability he will be the one called on the carpet. Don't put him(the cop) in a spot were he has to do something that he does not want to do. Laws are put in place to protect people even though some people may not like a certain law/bylaw. Respect the cop and he will respect you.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
archermike said:
If they tried to confiscate my archery equipment they would have to arrest me because one of the officers would be wearing my bow wrapped around his neck!

Archermike
Discharging a weapon within the city limits might be a felony-Strke One.
Assaulting a police officer, a felony-Strike Two.
This is a Three Strikes and Out State. Only one more in a lifetime and it's 25 to life as a guest of the state.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.