Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may sing it like "Singin' in the rain..." but it may not give me dry scorecards!

In the last two weekends, I have participated in two-day FITA events and one day out of two it was raining. And I mean heavy rain at times, with overhead trees that add some drizzling water to keep the fun up for a longer time! And my problem is that scorecards get more and more water until they are soggy and pens will not write on them. :pukey:

Using a soft lead pencil might work up to some point but there always comes a time when it gets really annoying because the card decomposes.

I have uses ZipLoc bags for keeping them, but the problem arrives when some water hits the cards and then the damage is done.

I would like to have some suggestions to help in solving that annoying problem: types of writing instruments, types of papers for the scorecards, waterproofing sprays?

HEEELP!

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
our state fita had a steady light rain at 90/70
Marking TYVEX targets is a waste of time-I tried sharpie, roller ball pen, paint pen, pencil-nothing worked well-the silver sharpie paint pen came the closest

SCORECARDS

1) keep scorecards in plastic bags
2) both scorers hold umbrellas
3) the Pilot G-2 Pens work the best since they are easier on soft moist paper

·
Lowered expectations
16,492 Posts
I haven't had a damp scorecard in years....when it starts to rain I just pack up and go home and find something better to do on my day off :darkbeer: .

Nobody needs that sort of aggravation... :wink:

Oh yeah, I've shot in more than my fair share of rainy FITAs. Rain, sleet, snow, dust storms - I can't remember why, but at one time early in my archery career that was "fun".

But the best thing is to just use a really large clear plastic bag that you can stick your hand inside to write. Keep the pen inside as well.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a fisher space pen I got from the 2001 FCA's in Winnipeg and have yet to find something it doesn't write on. Put scorecards in large zip lock bags and take the cards out after you dry your hands off under some sort of cover.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you

Thank you for the information. Yes the large plastic bag is a good beginning. I have started using an umbrella (two is better!). In conclusion it seems that using the right pen is the best way to complete the pattern. I will try to find one of the types suggested earlier.

Cheers

:darkbeer:

Just a note : since I am a beginner, yes I enjoy shooting in any type of conditions...

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The plastic bag keeps the cards and clip boards dry while you are not recording scores. A large golf or beach umbrella (one big enough to cover two people keeping score) held by the third archer works best. That way all the people keeping score need to do is record the value of the arrows. And nobody has the unbrella slip while trying to write down a score. If the clip board is wet, don't use it. It will just transfer the water to the score cards.

·
Archery Coach
23,292 Posts
Radman said:
The plastic bag keeps the cards and clip boards dry while you are not recording scores. A large golf or beach umbrella (one big enough to cover two people keeping score) held by the third archer works best. That way all the people keeping score need to do is record the value of the arrows. And nobody has the unbrella slip while trying to write down a score. If the clip board is wet, don't use it. It will just transfer the water to the score cards.

true-its better if the caller or the 4th guy holds the umbrellas. Does anyone have something that is good for marking tyvex targets in the rain?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Scorecards

Duss said:
You may sing it like "Singin' in the rain..." but it may not give me dry scorecards!

In the last two weekends, I have participated in two-day FITA events and one day out of two it was raining. And I mean heavy rain at times, with overhead trees that add some drizzling water to keep the fun up for a longer time! And my problem is that scorecards get more and more water until they are soggy and pens will not write on them. :pukey:

Using a soft lead pencil might work up to some point but there always comes a time when it gets really annoying because the card decomposes.

I have uses ZipLoc bags for keeping them, but the problem arrives when some water hits the cards and then the damage is done.

I would like to have some suggestions to help in solving that annoying problem: types of writing instruments, types of papers for the scorecards, waterproofing sprays?

HEEELP!
I've been shooting well over thirty years, and the one thing that there has been no advancement in, at the local level, is scoring and scorecards. With the cheap technologies available, I'm surprised there isn't something that has replaced the old paper and pen/pencil routine. :rain:

Just a thought.:lightbulb

T-man

·
Registered
36 Posts
Some more advanced nations have scorecards made from waterproof paper for use in wet weather events - it works just fine. :D

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you Jim C

Thank you Jim C

I have purchased some Pilot G-2s. Almost as good as G3 limbs. OK no joke! Those pens work on almost anything, including a wet napkin. The tests went very well.

Yes I agree that some waterproof paper would be welcome. I would like to have the make/manufaturer/trademark to make suggestions to the organizers of our FITA events. Anyone knows what that is? Where to get that sort of product?

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Or just keep score on a palm pilot then transfer the scores to paper indoors after you're done shooting. On the other hand if the Palm crashes during the shoot your screwed...

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
baldmountain said:
Or just keep score on a palm pilot then transfer the scores to paper indoors after you're done shooting. On the other hand if the Palm crashes during the shoot your screwed...
No electronic devices allowed beyond the waiting line :)

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
320 Posts
water proof paper

http://www.writeintherain.com/

The link above is for water proof paper. I use this material for sight tapes.

I have made score cards using this paper for our state games trials.

You can actually use this paper under water with the space pen mentioned in one of the earlier post from Pete.

Great stuff!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
c3hammer said:
No electronic devices allowed beyond the waiting line :)

Cheers,
Pete
Whats the reasoning behind that?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you JoeM

Thank you JoeM, I think now the picture is complete and I will not be shooting down into the drain anymore! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts