Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother in-law is having a problem that I can not figure out. I think maybe it is his form or grip but please give me some suggestions to check. His bow is as far as I know, properly tuned (pro shop). He shoots, sights in and then with-in a few more shots is again low and to the left. It seems like the change in the sights would elimate this but it doesn't seem to. I'm sure a drastic change will but when that is down he is way off. Everytime I think he is close, he starts low and left again. Any ideas?

·
im not NOT licking toads.
7,716 Posts
pro shop and tuned -two words that make me laugh when put together.

my guess as far as hitting low left would be hand placement / torque

·
Registered
167 Posts
Regardless of tune, if he's doing the same thing every time, so should the bow. I'd guess he's canting the bow to the right. Also possible is that he is tired and dropping the bow arm, especially if he's not in good "bow shape". Look for the canting and be sure he's following through. Maybe an inconsistant anchor point as well??

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...I have tried to talk him into getting a sight with a level as I thought that may be the problem, but he is too cheap to fork out the money for the new sight. I really appreciate it guys.
Swamphunter

·
Registered
839 Posts
You might want to make sure everything is tight.Sight,rest and even the peepsite if using one.You need to let him know that this isn't a cheap sport and and the level sight will help out alot.It took me a few years to get the concept until I shot a bow of my buddies and I was way off with his sights.I didn't notice until I asked him about it and he told me he cant his bow to the right on purpose.I looked at the sight and sure enough the pins were angled to compinsate for his shooting style.I now have a trophy ridge 5 pin with the level and I'm telling you what it works great.As far as pro shop tuned,there is NO SUCH THING.They can set the bow up with your stuff but you have to find the pefect center shot with your arrows and shooting style.Believe me I thought pro shop could set up a bow but found out other wise with very bad arrow flight.I've been working on my bow all summer after talking to Nuts & Bolts here on AT.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Just a thought, tell him to keep the bow in place and watch the arrow strike the target through the sight. This will keep him from dropping the bow to see the arrow strike the target, which will cause what you are describing.

Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
You may also want to consider that he may be creeping. I have known people have this broblem before and it has very often been because they are not excecuting their shot to the best of their ability.
Also, try and make sure that he is not tired. I have also known many people try to set their sights at the end of a hard days shooting.
You may also want to check that his anchor point is consistent.
It will almost certainly be something that your brother in law is doing and probably not the equipment.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had fallen victim to the cheaper sight thing for a few years and have recently purchased the G5 Optix LE Magnesium sight. I tried to get him to purchase one at the same time but he was not interested. I will check on all of the above suggestions next time we shoot together. Thanks again

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check to make sure his string loop or nock hasn't slipped upward. Also, check his arrowrest tension.

Rock On!

TOMANO

·
Registered
93 Posts
swamphunter1968 said:
My brother in-law is having a problem that I can not figure out. I think maybe it is his form or grip but please give me some suggestions to check. His bow is as far as I know, properly tuned (pro shop). He shoots, sights in and then with-in a few more shots is again low and to the left. It seems like the change in the sights would elimate this but it doesn't seem to. I'm sure a drastic change will but when that is down he is way off. Everytime I think he is close, he starts low and left again. Any ideas?
This is my problem also and I have a 3 people watch me. Its hand torque and stance problem. The is hard to fix I am still working on mine. One way is to fold fingurs into palm so not gripping the grip. This way you dont twisted it on release. The dropping of hand is another cause of it. Both take thinking about your shooting and alot of practice.

good luck

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Is he left handed? If so, is he getting fletching contact with his cables? If he is it will consistently keep moving your arrows in the direction that the cables are on the bow (right for right handed, vice versa for left). Hope he can get it fixed!

·
Registered
163 Posts
string maybe being forced into his face and if he is right handed it will throw the shoot to the left and as other have said follow through in any sport is very important!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts