Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,here goes,i just bought a new ar34,got it home i took my drop away off of my other bow which shot great when it was on my martin,i put it on my AR and started tuneing,i shot low very low so when i adjusted,no change so i adjusted my sights all the way out no change.Got up this morning and noticed that the cables slide just about a inch on my cable gaurd from nothing to full draw,so i adjusted so that my rest would fall slower.shot again.better still agout 6inchs low,sights are bottomed out, rest falling as slow as it will fall and still low. my rest is a quicktune drop away 2000. I first thought that my peep sight might have slid, adjusted that and no change.my sights are copperjohn dead nut. Any IDEAS????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
checked the knock psoition looks pretty close to 90 arrow seems to be setting close to level on the rest.at about ten yards i was shooting about 2 feet low or more and then adjusted rest so the rest wouldn't fall as fast got it back up to about 6 inchs low

·
Registered
676 Posts
silverback said:
maybe move your peep sight up.
this will bring you back up. you dont have to raise it a whole lot just keep it comfortable. hope this helps

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wouldn't know anything about moving peep sight up without knowing where it is at in first place compared to your anchor point...If you have a common anchor point like finger at corner of mouth (finger shooting) or knuckels at ear lobe(release shooting), etc. then just put your peep where your eye ends up being after blind drawing your bow. You don't go changing your anchor point and peep location cause your shooting low, you find out what is the problem is what ya do..

Make your drop cable secure and reliable and adjust the forks of the rest to as shallow an angle forward that still allows feathers past without contacting the rotating drop shaft. This makes the drop fast and sweet instead of slow and arching. Drop cable sliding up sounds to be the issue, put it down by your cable guard if you got one down there and lock it down by serving it in (I use a brass nock). You'll have to readjust nock height after all this and so that will be covered as well.. :smile:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
1/16 of an inch makes a lot of difference. I you are that sensitive to the change, then don't do it.

If it is an issue with drop away clearance, you should be able to determine that with paper tuning or powder testing.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
tarpoole said:
checked the knock psoition looks pretty close to 90 arrow seems to be setting close to level on the rest.at about ten yards i was shooting about 2 feet low or more and then adjusted rest so the rest wouldn't fall as fast got it back up to about 6 inchs low
Moving your peep should be the last resort. Try this for peep adjustment--- draw your bow with your eyes closed and anchor to where it feels comfortable to you. Open your eyes and adjust the peep up or down to fit you at that comfortable position. Do not move your peep after this unless you have to. Most of the time you don't.

Now go through the steps to paper tune your bow. You can do it with bare shafts for better results. Then do the group or walk back tuning. Last step if you have trouble with your broadheads-- do the broadhead tuning drill. Then you'll be good to go. ;)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Peep creep

You sound like you are experiencing the same thing I keep experiencing - peep movement toward the nock. I have marked my string where the peep should be and always check it against where it ends up. It does tend to move a bit as a natural function of string vibration.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts
DrJAG2 said:
You sound like you are experiencing the same thing I keep experiencing - peep movement toward the nock. I have marked my string where the peep should be and always check it against where it ends up. It does tend to move a bit as a natural function of string vibration.

Is your peep served in? The string may stretch but the peep shouldn't move if its served in properly. ;)

·
Registered
819 Posts
Important part

stehawk said:
Is your peep served in? The string may stretch but the peep shouldn't move if its served in properly. ;)
I don't think it's served properly. I took the bow to the only shop within decent driving distance of my house. They "pro" installed the peep in a position that would have been appropriate if my eyes were 1 foot from my chin. I had to move it down manually when I got to the range. After shooting a few arrows, the serving on both ends starts to creep. I'm new to all this, so my first thought was to mark the correct location of the peep on the string. I am not 100% sure that everything was done right. I do know this, I'm getting my own press and learning to do things on my own because I got no positive rhythm from this shop at all. For now, the peep seems to be staying right on the witness mark, but the serving does seem to move a bit, which is no suprise given the vibration the string is subjected to.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
why is everyone so opposed to moving the peep?
He said he just bought the bow. It is not as if he has a well established anchor with it.
He is doing the inital setup.

I put a new string and cable on last week and had to move my peep 1/8", I can still shoot just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts