Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for everyone. What are proper shooting manners for a field round. When two of you are on the line do you just shoot at will or alternate or what?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,264 Posts
Normally on the shorter shots, we just shoot at will; but on the longer shots we alternate and spot for the other shooter. You also want to never move from the peg when the other shooter is at full draw to avoid distracting him/her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,637 Posts
The tourneys I've shot in where there were 4 people in the squad, we usually had two shoot at the same time, then let the other two shoot. Alternating used up too much time, but then maybe others are more laid back. We were trying to get done before it got too hot in the desert.

Floxter is right about not distracting the other shooter. If you're done just stand quietly and wait for the other shooter to finish his target.

Dave
 

·
Field Fanatic
Joined
·
448 Posts
manners

Floxter said:
Normally on the shorter shots, we just shoot at will; but on the longer shots we alternate and spot for the other shooter. You also want to never move from the peg when the other shooter is at full draw to avoid distracting him/her.
I have shot at will at all distances. If you are into your shot not much should bother you. At the 2004 World Championships we waited till both are done to leave the stake. Do not let someone else set your shooting pace. You control your pace. If you let him, he may pick up on that and take you right out of the comp.
You should not let your target partner take all the first shots on the longer unmarked targets. I think that is not very sporting ;)

just my opinion!! :beer:
 

·
Archery Coach
Joined
·
23,297 Posts
fitadude said:
I have shot at will at all distances. If you are into your shot not much should bother you. At the 2004 World Championships we waited till both are done to leave the stake. Do not let someone else set your shooting pace. You control your pace. If you let him, he may pick up on that and take you right out of the comp.
You should not let your target partner take all the first shots on the longer unmarked targets. I think that is not very sporting ;)

just my opinion!! :beer:

I agree with this. when I am shooting with an inexperienced shooter-like one of my students at yesterday's Ohio/Northern field I almost always shot first since I was trying to help the student by allowing him to watch the arrow. This doesn't help my score but that wasn't the point. Doug is right though-when I shot the nationals with winner Joe Mcglyn in 03 we would alternate shooting first when he and I were on the line first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
When we do the state field shoot, we shoot in squads of four each. There is an "A" and "B" pair of shooters. The A pair shoots the upper targets first and the B guys shoot the lower on shorter targets during the first round and then alternates with the B shooters for the second round. Each pair of shooters shoot at the same time unless conditions prohibit doing so. Thought those were the general rules. Of course we are much more casual during club shoots. The usual courtesy of shooting together on a line are you take the line together and do not leave it until the other shooter is finished. I try to remain quiet and polite until the other guy is finished shooting, unless he's beating me badly ...
 

·
washed up wannabe
Joined
·
12,235 Posts
Once we get out of sight of Russ and Sam we lighten up ;) Not uncommon to shoot 4 wide where room allowed.
 

·
Smilin' Bob
Joined
·
25,077 Posts
AKDoug said:
Once we get out of sight of Russ and Sam we lighten up ;) Not uncommon to shoot 4 wide where room allowed.
We do this on the 60+ yarders, most of the time at least one person is spotting from the line while the others shoot. You'll quickly get a sense of what the group is willing to do to speed it up and maintain the integrity of the competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Doug, Just read your message - very funny. That's why Sam and I deducted 30 points from your score :D .
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top