Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shoot my old bowtech tomkat better then my new maxxis 35 love the feel of the maxxis just cant shoot as good of groups specially passed 30 yards it is tuned good, do you guys think i need more time to get used to the new bow had it about 3 months it wouldnt be so bad other then i spent a grip of money on it?

·
Registered
294 Posts
check your shot stopper. I have the maxxis 31 and the facttory shot stopper sucks. try taking your off and see if the groups change.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
also the tomkat had a much longer brace height it can make a difference, what grip do you have on the bow?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cut your losses and chalk it up to experience. I think the biggest part of archery is finding your sweet spot. Next time you feel the need to shop for a new bow, bring your old one with to shoot next to whatever new bow you are shooting. And before you spend big money on a new bow maybe try a new release, rest, or sight on your old bow.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Your dl may be different between the two bows. Measure everything, peep ht. loop lenght. etc.

·
Shooter of flesh
7,660 Posts
i will try taking it off huge bull what did it score?

i have the stock grip

thanks guys
Try changing out the rubber 180 grip for the wooden grip that comes on the Alpha Max...it's a little slipperier/smoother than the stock 180 grip. I loved the feel of the 180, but it seemed that every time I held it, it was in a different place and because it was so tacky, my hand would stay where I first placed it, placing a slightly different torque on the bow with each shot...with the wood grip, my hand slides to the same place every time and eliminates any kind of torque that I might have had. I know a couple of guys that had the same problem.

Of course, it would suck for you to have to give up on the Maxxis, but if it isn't a fit for you, then move on. After all that investment, spend the 20 bucks and see if that helps.

Good luck.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'd spend the money for a new grip and while your at the best Archery shop around your area, I'd have the best Bowyer/Bow'Smith guy look it over for you and try to tune it to your specs, before you sell it off.
Good luck with it! That's a really nice bow, give it another try!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Of course you are, it's simple. BowTech's bottom end bow is better than Hoyts upper end bow. lol Proof is in the Pudding I too made that mistake just a little more costly, bought a Matrix, found out it isn't quite as good as my Destroyer. The positive is the Matrix still looks awesome and is a showpiece hanging from my Oak bow rack. Seriously I shoot them both, but do prefer my Destroyer.

·
Bone Collector
5,396 Posts
I'd be glad to take the Maxxis off your hands :lol:
I was also thinking of the grip.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
shooting is in the shooter..... not the bow! if your bow is set up correctly and is comortable to you, it should shoot just as good. anylising why you are missing is the first step to correcting your problems.
is it me or the bow?
did the shot go off where the arrow impacted the target?
is my bow tuned correctly?
evrytime i miss a shot i ask myself why and the first thing i point my finger at is me. sometimes it is the bow but most often it's going to be the shooter.

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
im guessing the grip

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Thats funny

Of course you are, it's simple. BowTech's bottom end bow is better than Hoyts upper end bow. lol Proof is in the Pudding I too made that mistake just a little more costly, bought a Matrix, found out it isn't quite as good as my Destroyer. The positive is the Matrix still looks awesome and is a showpiece hanging from my Oak bow rack. Seriously I shoot them both, but do prefer my Destroyer.
Until the bowtech blows up on ya- I have never owned a bowtech that is worth a crap except for a guardian, lol ;) Just kidding.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I have shot nothing but mathews for the past 13 years. But if I bought another bow it would probably be the maxxis. They have all the specs I like and they look great. All the reviews are all great on them too!! I haven't shot one. I'm to afraid I would have to buy one of them too. :teeth:

·
wolfey
4,027 Posts
Try taking the grip off and shooting off the riser. thats what I did on my alphamax and it helped a lot. plus it doesn't cost you anything.:teeth:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Get a good weight forward stab. I use the short 4-5" hunting ones. Right now I am using the Stealth with a rubber LimbSaver Stabilizer Enhancer. That made an improvement for me. That and the wood grip. SRM

EDIT-I will be trying the Paradigm SOS soon to see which is better.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Tomcat is a shooter. Maxxis has a torque inducing roller guard which makes it a step backwards from the am.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts