Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I've been shooting compounds for many years I'm still a little green when it comes to recurve or longbow knowledge.

For a right handed shooter

Does it matter whether the feathers are fletched RH or LH?

In my experience I've had much better luck with a Hoyt (pro, super or ?) rest than off a shelf. Do most shooters when accuracy is priority shoot from a rest?

·
Back Yard Champion
28,984 Posts
First question; No, not really, but you shouldn't mix right and left.

2nd question; Yes. There are a few very good adjustable rests for finger shooters. I'm assuming you're a finger shooter.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
You might get more responses to this if you posted it in the Trad forum. Right or left wing doesn't make much difference unless you're shooting a selfbow using your finger as the shelf. When doing this, you will find that a right handed shooter gets better quill clearance with a left wing feather and there is less chance of the front of the quill entering your bow hand pointer finger. Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it much. I think the opposite wing provides just slightly better clearance when shooting off the shelf but I've never seen any difference in arrow flight. I like to shoot off the shelf with feathers, of course, when still hunting because I can hold the arrow on the bow with my pointer finger. For target shooting I much prefer an arrow rest which is much more tunable and generally gives better arrow flight ... and you can shoot vanes. I've always shot left wing and I'm a right handed shooter. I invested in left wing a long time ago when left wing feathers were cheaper, which is no longer the case. I also shot self bows with no shelf and left wing is much better for that. There's an urban legend that left wing will unscrew your arrow point but having shot lots of big game and targets, I've never found that to be the case. Some vanes actually have a "wing" and they seem to mostly be right wing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I didn't even realize that people would even shoot recurves with releases. Also I had no idea there were adjustable rests for recurves.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts