Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so with my new bow, I've been shooting off the string with my TruBall Cyclone release - both are awesome by the way. I have a crimped nock on then a rubber eliminator button between my arrow and release. I'm shooting well with it and am comfortable but I am concerned about string wear with using my release off the string. I was using an aluminum Ultra-Nok XL on my previous bow. I know I know....the string loop would be better but I'm shooting just fine and it works for me. So my question is which would be better or does it not matter? Shoot off the string or put my aluminum loop back on? I use my bow for hunting. Is the aluminum loop going to cause as much wear on the string as the release? What are the pros/cons? any suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

·
Registered
12,164 Posts
I would go with a D-loop instead of the ultra nock or off the string.

D-loop is lighter then the ultranok (more speed) and will hold up better then the string.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
The release will not make an appreciable difference in serving wear. The real problems with shooting off the string with a release are...

(1.) If you use a brass nock and hook the release under the arrow it will tend to push the brass nock up and change your nock point.
(2.) It can cause your arrow to push down against the rest at full draw. Sometimes enough to flex the arrow.
(3.) If you put a 2nd nock or cushion button 1" or so below the arrow nock to correct the first 2 problems the string will be forced partially out of the arrow nock at full draw, because the string will be at an angle in relation to the arrow. If you then let down, the arrow will pop off the string.

All 3 of those problems are worse the shorter the ATA or the longer the draw length.

I don't like loops. I REALLY don't like aluminum ones. I shoot with a James Greene Gator Jaw release.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Are those just 2 rubber cushions? If so what prevents them from sliding?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Those are rubber cushions. I only used them for initial nock point setting and then replaced with string served nock points.

They do stay in place for several shot sequences though.

·
Registered
11,484 Posts
I have shot off the string with a rubber cushion and I have never had an arrow pop off on let down or any other problems mentioned. Even with a bow as short as my Tribute. Maybe a loop is better for most guys but shooting off the string has worked great for me with no hitches:)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I read somewhere when using a metal loop will wear your release and may cause it to get roughed up thus causing real string or D-loop wear if you go back to either.

·
Relocated Cajun
10,974 Posts
RAYHUNTS said:
I read somewhere when using a metal loop will wear your release and may cause it to get roughed up thus causing real string or D-loop wear if you go back to either.
it will...metal on metal will create some burrs...had a guy at the shop like that..his release would have tore up a rope had he switched from the ultra nock

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Anything but an ultranok

As many bows that I have worked on with the ultranok put on ... It seems to cause nothing but more string noise and more string wear. I shoot mine off the string but I have also never tried the string loops. Off the string works for me so I have never changed

Josh

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
meanv2 said:
I have shot off the string with a rubber cushion and I have never had an arrow pop off on let down or any other problems mentioned. Even with a bow as short as my Tribute. Maybe a loop is better for most guys but shooting off the string has worked great for me with no hitches:)

Same here.

·
Registered
150 Posts
well i shoot a loop and it's great. however, if you shoot off the string there's nothing wrong with it. But, shooting metal on metal will cause some damage for sure on your release. such as brass crimps or metal d-loops. fact!

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. So I'm probably going to have a little less wear an be a little more quiet just shooting off the string? Something I was concerned with though was pinching the arrow, although there is a rubber cushion button between the arrow and release...does this prevent it from being pinched?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Loop

I switched to a loop when i got my Tomkat this year and it has helped my accuracy improve.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I switched from shooting off the string to a D loop about 6 months ago. I shot with one brass nock and my release under the arrow nock. after noticable serving wear and occasional nock pinch, I went to a D loop. I felt very unconfortable with the loop at first due to horror stories about the loop breaking or knots pulling through during the draw and noses being broken and lost teeth. I learned from tying my first loop that if it's tied righ, you won't have those problems.
I bungled my first loop and did punch myself in the chin when the knot pulled through, but no problem. I've been punched harder (lol). I made sure the next one was done correctly and I'm still using it. The loop solved all the problems that I was having and due to the more even pull on the string that a loop will give you, my accuracy inproved as well.
I know that there are ways of getting around the problems of shooting off the string, but I didn't want to start adding more stuff to my string. I'm not knocking those who shoot off the string. It worked for me for years. It's just a matter of what works best for you.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
If you are doing well off the string,then stick with it.I wouldn't be to concerned about wear on the string.For years I shot the same way you describe,nock and a E button,with no noticeable damage to the serving.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Well I like probably alott of archers that have been shooting for a while have done both. When i shot from the string I did not recognize any problems other than the serving wearing over time.
I shoot better with my latest set up...it happens to be a D loop rig. I find if you shoot often enough you can get used to anything.....although some set ups prove more accurate. For me It is the D loop.

·
Good Day All!!!!!
749 Posts
I would go with whatever works for you. Shooting directly off of the string will over time wear out your center-serving. I have not seen any issues related to accuracy vs. the loop as long as I have shooting. In a hunting situation, I feel it is a little quicker to get the release in action. If you are noticing excessive wear on your serving, check the release jaws for burrs or anything abnormal. Other than that, have fun flingin!
Good luck
Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just remember when you are used to shooting off the string your bow is set at a certain draw length, most people wont know or tell you by adding a D loop to your string will lengthen your draw causing your form to crap. I would suggest shooting a D loop, but make sure your draw length is compensated appropriately.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
turkeygirl said:
Thanks for all the replies. So I'm probably going to have a little less wear an be a little more quiet just shooting off the string? Something I was concerned with though was pinching the arrow, although there is a rubber cushion button between the arrow and release...does this prevent it from being pinched?

I would recommend a loop. To me the best way by far.

1. It locates the arrow and will not move if done right.
2. If you shoot off the string you wear the string serving out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts