Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I can’t get the range much. So I shoot allot in my garage. I can get 5 yards from my target. I’m wondering will this help when I shoot at 20? I’m trying to get in bow shape and work out the kinks.
I have tri outs at the end of February.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
TRX 34, UV3XL/Landslyde, Like Mike II, Trinity Hunter Pro, GT Series 22, RX-FULLDRAW 4
169 Posts
Any practice is good practice. You lose so much efficiency, tone, and skill very quickly if you don't stay with it. Focus on your shot.

Can try to make it more interesting by changing the size of your target. Try shooting one arrow into the same hole 50 times.

If you're having trouble and need a mental pick-me-up try using a bigger target. Don't forget the power of blank bale shooting as well.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any practice is good practice. You lose so much efficiency, tone, and skill very quickly if you don't stay with it. Focus on your shot.

Can try to make it more interesting by changing the size of your target. Try shooting one arrow into the same hole 50 times.

If you're having trouble and need a mental pick-me-up try using a bigger target. Don't forget the power of blank bale shooting as well.
I use to have a program that would print out target size based on where you would shoot from.

· Registered
317 Posts
I shoot at 4 yards and shoot at a grid of dots about 1/4" big roughly. I print them out on standard 8.5x11 and have about 35 dots on each paper. Change the dot size to work with you. I try to hit every dot every time but end up hitting like 80%. I think it definitely helps but also blank bale helps a ton as well. Dont underestimate blank bale and fine tuning the the feel of the shot

· Registered
687 Posts
I shoot at 10m for practice in my basement/den. Shooting at any distance is good as it allows one to work on form. I read where the Korean archers work on form for six months before they pick up a bow. Result? They are some of the top archers in the world. My complements on your committment on a practice regimen.

· Registered
2,182 Posts
i'm in a similar situation of not being able to get to the range as often as i'd like, so i too shoot in my living room (bachelor). anyways what i will add to the discussion is that you should not expect the arrow to hit the spot unless you set a pin specifically for the 4yds, and I don't. I use my 20yd pin and just know that arrow will hit low and a little to the right of the spot, and i'm ok with that. For me, my living room shooting is more about form and shooting process than anything else, kinda like blank bale shooting but with a spot and not caring to much where the arrow hits (so long as i don't hit the wall) knowing it's not going to hit the spot anyways.

· Registered
2,583 Posts
i'm in a similar situation of not being able to get to the range as often as i'd like, so i too shoot in my living room (bachelor). anyways what i will add to the discussion is that you should not expect the arrow to hit the spot unless you set a pin specifically for the 4yds, and I don't. I use my 20yd pin and just know that arrow will hit low and a little to the right of the spot, and i'm ok with that. For me, my living room shooting is more about form and shooting process than anything else, kinda like blank bale shooting but with a spot and not caring to much where the arrow hits (so long as i don't hit the wall) knowing it's not going to hit the spot anyways.
3 yards is usually 40 or 50 yard pin.

· Registered
51 Posts
Im able to get 12.5yds in the basement, I strive to shoot 300/30x Vegas rounds at that distance. I can usually do one 28-29x followed by a 30x each night. Cannot seem to hit the 60x.
It definitely helps with your shooting, also a big believer in blank bale

· P#NW045
12,859 Posts
For building form and working repetition of the shot process distance doesn’t matter; 1yd or 100yds the process is all exactly the same.

Im a large proponent of shooting a std size target face up close; the overly large target help work with getting comfortable allowing things to float while still executing a good shot and it allows for building up confidence in the ability to shoot perfect scores. Depending on the distance scores can be transposed to approximate what they would have scored at 20yds as well.

I have a 12yd practice range in my basement and a block in my living room. My goal at 12yds is to only have 3 holes in the target face; I want to put every arrow more or less in the same hole. I can’t see that hole as my dot covers much more of the target face, but I focus on executing a strong shot and let the dot float.

· Registered
189 Posts
So I can’t get the range much. So I shoot allot in my garage. I can get 5 yards from my target. I’m wondering will this help when I shoot at 20? I’m trying to get in bow shape and work out the kinks.
I have tri outs at the end of February.

Five yards is a perfect distance to perfect your archery. You can work on form and forget about a target. Form is where it's at. When you go back to 20 yards all you have to worry about is your sight setting.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts