Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having many trouble in my shooting, i have been shooting for a month right know, i practice at least 3 days a week and shoot about an average of 140 shots. i shoot 12 repetitions of 5 shots each the maximum score can be 300 points and two weeks ago i did 288 points i was pretty happy, next practice day i did only 284 and from since i have been going down, today i made 178 i'm very concern about it because each time im shooting worst.
i'm using a pse axe7 at 60lbs with a 28.5 inches of draw. i want your help with tips to improve my shooting i really like this sport and im kind of dissapointment. thanks for your help.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Not to burst your bubble, but a score of 288 when only shooting for 2 weeks would be outstanding. Not surprized to see you go down. 230-250 would be a realistic goal for someone who is new to shooting. Maybe you are feeling something is amiss and it is messing with the mental part of your game when the first couple of scores were just lucky? Try not putting a final score on each arrow that you shoot, and just make a good shot, one arrow at a time. Or maybe try not keeping score for a while. Progress in scores should be slow, but steady. Took me 3 years to hit my first 300.

Hang in there and don't give up. Archery is an awesome sport.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Talk to the archers in your area and ask for some help, read some books, and spend time on Archery Talk.

·
Registered
10,111 Posts
Coach

Did someone teach you to shoot or did you figure it out on your own??

Maybe a good coach would help, someone who can see if you are doing everything right.

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
I would bet that your are starting to try too hard. The more you concentrate on a good aim, a steady sight pin, and all that other stuff, you start to forget that relaxtion is the most important aspect of shooting accurately. Stop trying so hard and relax and watch your scores improve.

Automan

·
Registered
805 Posts
One thing im gonna just throw out there is that if you have been shooting a bunch, your strings might have stretched a bit and your bow could be a little bit out of tune.. just saying cause you said your new... just might want to check that out,

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
Maybe your muscles need a little break, since your new at it..keeps the reps down and practice a little each day....cramming to much into 3 days may be too much....just my opinion, Dave

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, thanks for the advice. 12 years ago i started shooting with a bear but i shot just for about a year and stopped, know im starting again. However my bear bow was too large for me so i learned to shot the wrong way with a bow that didn´t fit me. Anyway now my axe 7 fits me but i cant undersatadn what im doing wrong. No, i havent recieve any teaching from a pro, just advice from friends but nothing clear. The dealer from my town its ready to give me some teaching hope this will help me. I also thoght yestarday about the string but its a brand new bow, i have been using it fro 5 or 6 weeks each week for 3 days each day 13 or 140 shots.
Thanks again

1 - 8 of 8 Posts