Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I’m wanting some input on something. I’m wondering when you guys draw your bow and get to the back wall how hard do you hold against the back wall? Do you hold just enough tension to keep it against the wall or do you hold it tighter against the wall. I’m thinking it’s a personal thing but wanted to hear from some shooters. I’ve played around with different tensions at full draw and got curious what others do

·
(aka lug nut)
49,569 Posts
Hey guys I’m wanting some input on something. I’m wondering when you guys draw your bow and get to the back wall how hard do you hold against the back wall? Do you hold just enough tension to keep it against the wall or do you hold it tighter against the wall. I’m thinking it’s a personal thing but wanted to hear from some shooters. I’ve played around with different tensions at full draw and got curious what others do
Learn how to keep a consistent # of pounds higher than holding weight. Try to hold about 3 lbs higher than holding weight when you reach full draw. When you master this, your groups will be tighter.

http://www.lancasterarchery.com/pressure-perfect-products-sweetspot-pro.html

$429 training device to measure pressure, how much pressure you apply to the bowstring when at full draw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=CQpS7-2UPus

IT's a strain gauge, tied to a tiny computer. After you calibrate the computer, you get a green light if you are in the "sweet spot" for pulling pressure (strain gauge measures bending of the riser). Red light means you are pulling too hard (outside the sweet spot for pulling pressure). If the light goes off, then, you are creeping forwards, and not pulling enough pulling pressure.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Learn how to keep a consistent # of pounds higher than holding weight. Try to hold about 3 lbs higher than holding weight when you reach full draw. When you master this, your groups will be tighter.
This. I actually do what hes saying. Nutsandbolts has helped me out a lot.

I put about 3 lbs of pressure and follow the same consistency every shot.

Dont vary them at all since it will alter your point of impact.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Hunter of many things
12,154 Posts
If I pull too hard into the wall I shake to much. So when I get to full draw I try and relax and hold just above my holding weight.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,685 Posts
If I pull too hard into the wall I shake to much. So when I get to full draw I try and relax and hold just above my holding weight.
This true and more so with those with limb draw stops.....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I agree get to the wall and pull till it "firms up." Now not so hard you are straining but hard enough you can feel yourself settling in and watch that pin settle down.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
Same here. My shooting got better and I experienced much less anticipation when I quit pulling super hard into the wall. Holding as gently as possible without the bow taking off on me seems to let me hold much better. IMO, it's important to not soften or creep once I'm at full draw, so N&B's 3 pounds seems about right.

I also don't run out of breath as quickly.

Allen

·
Slingin' Arrows
1,239 Posts
I've always shot from the pocket rather than the wall. Seems to work better for me. Less work and more accurate in my experience.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I may be a bit different. It felt like my hold got more solid with more pressure. But the shots got more inconsistent. My best guess is I was slightly adding torque to the end of the limb with the single limb stop. I may be nuts, but it's the only thing I could think of that changed. That was when I was playing with pulling through on a hinge release that could be used with just tension. It looked good, felt good, but the results were not good. Shooting and Elite V39 FWIW. So it shoots better holding just over the weight enough to get my back tightened up but not enough to tighten my arm/shoulders.

·
Back Yard Champion
29,685 Posts
I may be a bit different. It felt like my hold got more solid with more pressure. But the shots got more inconsistent. My best guess is I was slightly adding torque to the end of the limb with the single limb stop. I may be nuts, but it's the only thing I could think of that changed. That was when I was playing with pulling through on a hinge release that could be used with just tension. It looked good, felt good, but the results were not good. Shooting and Elite V39 FWIW. So it shoots better holding just over the weight enough to get my back tightened up but not enough to tighten my arm/shoulders.
Different cams and number of draw stops. Martin Cat or Nitro cams were tied into each other, solid to each other and then only needing the single bottom limb stop. The feel was not so different than a Hoyt with cam & half, just harder. Enter my Pearson dual limb stop bows. Wow! These bows have a wall that is rock solid, no give whatsoever. And this just reminds me that I ordered and have on hand the older draw stops with larger O-rings. These may give something of a cushion affair...maybe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts