• Get the pin on and let 'er rip!

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious about your hunting - shooting technique. I come from a strong target background with the "get the pin on and squeeze off the shot."

I get razzed whenever I shoot because my buddy Bucknutz has the "get the pin on and let her rip" technique. He doesn't punch the trigger, but his bow never stops moving either. Seems to work great. If we draw at the same time, I'm usually getting a solid anchor, when I hear his bow go off followed by "This ain't the nationals, are you gonna shoot that arrow or what? Your gonna miss anyway."

I recently tried the "Get the pin on and let her rip" technique and it seems to be working pretty good for me. I don't punch the trigger, but I also don't hear the following lines as much any more:

"No wonder you had target panic"
"That deer is gonna be gone by the time you get that shot off"
"I guess the deer are in trouble if they stand still!"
"Are you gonna actually shoot, or just aim at deer in the woods"
"If you do that while I'm filming, I'm gonna pick up my bow and shoot the damn deer for you"

And so on.

Just curious if you guys used the "squeeze off the shot technique" or the Bucknutz "Get the pin on and let her rip" technique.

Bo

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
clever_guy and I were just discussing this a couple of days ago.
I grew up shooting longbow and recurve, benchrest rifle, highpower rifle, silhouettes (both rifle & handgun) combat pistol etc. Just this year I started using training wheels on my bow, I squeeze the trigger just as I would with a firearm.
This works well enough for me as I primarly hunt and do not compete in bow target matches. Although I am going to buy a target bow the winter, just to play with. I doubt I will ever change to a backtension release.... to stubborn....:D

So I guess you could say I put the sight on my spot and fire.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
When I first learned how to shoot, I taught myself and it was "aim and pull trigger". This eventually lead me down the dark path to archery hell, know as Target Panic.

Some people are capable of sitting there and pulling the trigger, myself included. I refuse to shoot like that anymore, because for me personally, it is so crude compared to using proper technique and BT to execute a shot. I can use BT to get the shot off in about 1 second, yet the shot is a complete surprise. This is how I shoot when hunting. It gives me much greater control of the entire shot sequence in the woods and confidence.
Do we really need to shoot faster than 1 second? If you do, the shot is probably a good one to pass up IMO. In any event if I needed to hit the trigger for a quick shot, I use a Carter Fits Me so I always have that option. I honestly can't see myself ever needing it though. I can shoot a DART system as fast as any of my buddies, who are quite content to just "punch"away. Maybe one of these seasons they will get sick of me taking their $, and switch to BT. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts