Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you guys feel about a shooting test to qualify for a bowhunting license. I know some military bases require on before you can hunt on the base. I am all for it, if you dont take the time to become proficient with your bow you shouldnt be hunting
Would it cut down on the wounding and loss rates?
jon

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I started bowhunting on a military base. I still do from time to time. That doesn't work either. Granted it does make them a little better but it isn't that hard to keep 2 of 3 arrows in a 9" circle at 20 and 30yds. You would be surprised how many times it takes for some to get qualified. I say 1 guy that tried twice a week for 4 months. He qualified on the last day that you could try. Everyone cheered him. I didn't he is still going to wound a deer. Just because you get lucky doesn't mean that you should hunt with a bow. I have never taken more than the minimum 4 shots. Even the first year I hunted there which was my first year hunting with a bow. But I also shot everyday to make sure I could do it.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
I'm all for it. Its a good idea. I do think though I would be scared to see the % of hunters it kept out of the season. Maybe it would give these guys some incentive to work harder at archery.

If you can't hit a pie plate everytime at 20 yards, you have no business being in the woods with a bow.

·
Registered
8,533 Posts
The actual shooting skill is one aspect. There should also be education on ethical and fair chase standards as well as shot placement, angle, range, tracking and recovery. I'm sure I missed something. My point is theres a whole lot involved in being a good & ethical hunter, gun or bow.

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
There should also be education on ethical and fair chase standards as well as shot placement, angle, range, tracking and recovery.
Elkarcher,
At least in NY, the hunter education courses cover all the things you mention. About the only test that isn't covered is a shooting test. Of course, you can't learn how all of this stuff from a 2 day course or from books alone.

Thats why its important for bowhunters with more experience to make an effort to take at least one new hunter under their wing each year. I do this, because I remember how grateful I was to the hunter who did this for me.

·
Banned
333 Posts
That is one of the best suggestions I have heard in quite a while ... make it so....:) :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
I believe in a shooting test.. The best example is down here in Oklahoma we have Elk Draw for hunting on FT. Sill.. Now we have some monster Elk and they are great trophy material.

In order to hunt on FT Sill for elk you have to be draw and there are so many slots for the season. We had a guy shoot an elk in the BUTT at sixty yards with a good wind. Now this guy is a semi-pro shooter in ASA/IBO. Great with targets at 20 and 30 maybe even 40 but to wound an animal by taking the 60 yd shot is dumb.
The other thing is the military here in OK are exempt from hunter safety course and go and buy a license and go hunt.. And I see that as as problem.

Now yer probably wondering what I was trying to say, and at this point I have no clue.. So if you can decifer what I was saying your a better man for it..

·
Registered
171 Posts
I think even witht he shotting corse your going to get lost or wounded quiery its just the way it goes.... there are a lot of veriables that lead to wounded or lost quiery.. i persionally think it the hunters responsability to know when he or she is ready to take that on... but believe that the hunter should and must think about the quiery that he is pursuing as a gift from god..and take in in the best way that he can. i personally take i very serious as to the quick and humain as possiable to down the quiery. just as the military would see it ( one shot one kill) so just give respect to the quiery you are hunting.

even if you are a skilled woodsman i think sooner or later or for some reason you will incounter lose of your queiry.

PERSONALLY I HAVE NEVER GIVEN UP ON LOOKING FOR THE ANIMAL I STILL LOOKED EVEN 2 DAYS LATER FOUND IT IN A LAKE GO FIGURE...

A ANIMAL WILL TEND TO GO TO WATER IF WOUNDED OR HURT SO LOOK FOR THE CLOSEST PLACE OF WATER AS YOUR LAST RESORT...

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Redleg people shoot elk at that distance all the time. If the guy "is" in fact a Pro he would have no problem making that shot. It probably had something to do with the wind or the animal may have moved. The Pro class for the ASA and IBO shoot most of their shoots in a tourny over 40 yds.

I agree that testing is needed. But it can't be done like I described above. It needs to be like a 1 or 2 chance thing. Not until you finally get them all in there.

·
Registered
445 Posts
BH. come on 60 yds on an elk??? We get to take an elk every 3 years. And this year the limit was set at 13 for Fort Sill. It just seems like a real waste to take a 60 yd shot on a moving animal in the wind.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
http://www.arizonaelksociety.org/PicGallery/auctionbull2003.htm

Go to this site. It is the pic of Magnockman and his Elk. He had a complete pass through on it at 50 Yds. Just because you don't have the ability to do so doesn't mean that someone else doesn't either. Pick up a bowhunting mag (just about any will do) and see that people make shots on game past 30yds all the time. In fact if you get on the phone and call some elk, mule deer, antelope or caribou guides you will see that I am right. I am comfortable shooting at that distance as are alot of people on Archery Talk.

You said in your first post " Now this guy is a semi-pro shooter in ASA/IBO. Great with targets at 20 and 30 maybe even 40 but to wound an animal by taking the 60 yd shot is dumb." Now you are saying the animal was walking. Which is it? Now I wouldn't take a 60 yd shot at an elk that wasn't standing still. But if it wasn't moving my ACC would be on it's way. I take it that you have don't shot alot of target archery? I also am figuring that you don't read alot on hunting out west. Heck there are people that mess up shots at 20yds. There are alot of post about that on here now. Like I said earlier I know people that can't put 2 out of 3 arrows in a 9" circle at 20yds. I can keep 6 in a 9" circle at 60 yds. You have your limits. I have mine. Bob, Rick, Chris, Eric and Dave have theirs. Not everyones are the same.

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think that there should be a 3 d type course for new archer to take before they get there licence. A lot of folks don't relate missing the paper plate with wounding a deer. Some new shooters shoot very well but aim in the wrong spot or misjudge distance. Can't learn that from shooting at a plate.

Poor shot miss a lot a deer semi-poor shots wound a lot of deer.

·
Registered
445 Posts
B.H. I just wish that everyone could recognise thier own shooting ability and pass on taking a shot... If I had a wall hanger out in front of me and I had a slim chance to get a good shot I would/will pass on it. There is always another day or next year.. It leaves something to think about while your waiting for next season.

ArrrowHawk has the right idea.

V/R
Mike

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Redleg, I agree on the pass up the shot thing. I have done it many times on nice bucks under 30yds. Heck even on shots under 20. But I can and wouldn't think twice about shooting 50+ yds with the right conditions. I am not going to just go flinging arrows. I hunt as much as I can. But I shoot 12 months of the year and have done so for years. I like shooting targets as much if not more than hunting. I actually get just as excited about shooting X's at 80 yds as I do about shooting a deer. If I get a chance to go after elk or mule deer I wouldn't have a problem making a 60 yd shot. I keep my arrows in the spot. I have built my sjill level to beable to do so. Can everyone do it. No. Should everyone try it. Hell no. I take trips to the range and shoot groups just as good if not better than the avg guy at 20 and 30 yds. But like I said I practice year round. I consider myself a target archer first and a hunter second. Why? Becuse I shoot targets a heck of alot more than I hunt.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Wouldnt work....Standing still at any yardage hitting a fake target isnt any form of simulation of the real deal. The fact is people are going to make mistakes and miss. Get over it.

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
Would work. Fact is just because your effective range isn't as far as someone elses doesn't mean they can't make the shot. Nobody said mistakes weren't possible. Look at all the guys that are messing up 20yd shots. They aren't me.

I can't believe you said this. "Standing still at any yardage hitting a fake target isnt any form of simulation of the real deal." Then how do you practice? Pick up any hunting mag that has an article on extending your shooting range. I bet that everyone of the authors talks about shooting animals over 50yds. I have shot 16 straight X's at 80 yds before the 17th shot was still in the dot just not an X. Thats smaller than a paper plate. No it wasn't luck. Just because someone can't make a 300 yd shoot with a rifle doesn't mean that I can't. It is the same thing. You have to know YOUR EFFECTIVE range. Mine is more than 30yds. If yours isn't thats your problem. How do you extend your effective range? Shoot longer distances. Besides it will make the close ones a slam dunk. When you make a bad shot at 20yds how far out of the spot are they? Mine are out of the X or at most barely out of the dot. The dot is a 3" circle. Not a 10" circle. Big difference. Are you a 300 shooter indoors? I am. Whats your best field score? If you don't shoot over a 500 you don't need to be shooting over 40 yds. I haave never shot under a 510 ever. I am not saying that I go around flinging arrows at every yardage. But if I have a shot at an Elk at 50- 60yds and I have checked it with the range finder when the animal stops and gives me a broadside shot I WILL TAKE IT. There is not an elk or mule deer guide out there that will not let you take that shot. It is recommended that you beable to shot that far. You don't know me and have never seen me shoot so don't tell me what my effective range is. You live in AZ have you ever heard of Randy Ulmer? He shoots over 50 yds. You going to tell him that he shouldn't shoot that for because you can't?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Brown Hornet said:
Would work. Fact is just because your effective range isn't as far as someone elses doesn't mean they can't make the shot. Nobody said mistakes weren't possible. Look at all the guys that are messing up 20yd shots. They aren't me.

I can't believe you said this. "Standing still at any yardage hitting a fake target isnt any form of simulation of the real deal." Then how do you practice? Pick up any hunting mag that has an article on extending your shooting range. I bet that everyone of the authors talks about shooting animals over 50yds. I have shot 16 straight X's at 80 yds before the 17th shot was still in the dot just not an X. Thats smaller than a paper plate. No it wasn't luck. Just because someone can't make a 300 yd shoot with a rifle doesn't mean that I can't. It is the same thing. You have to know YOUR EFFECTIVE range. Mine is more than 30yds. If yours isn't thats your problem. How do you extend your effective range? Shoot longer distances. Besides it will make the close ones a slam dunk. When you make a bad shot at 20yds how far out of the spot are they? Mine are out of the X or at most barely out of the dot. The dot is a 3" circle. Not a 10" circle. Big difference. Are you a 300 shooter indoors? I am. Whats your best field score? If you don't shoot over a 500 you don't need to be shooting over 40 yds. I haave never shot under a 510 ever. I am not saying that I go around flinging arrows at every yardage. But if I have a shot at an Elk at 50- 60yds and I have checked it with the range finder when the animal stops and gives me a broadside shot I WILL TAKE IT. There is not an elk or mule deer guide out there that will not let you take that shot. It is recommended that you beable to shot that far. You don't know me and have never seen me shoot so don't tell me what my effective range is. You live in AZ have you ever heard of Randy Ulmer? He shoots over 50 yds. You going to tell him that he shouldn't shoot that for because you can't?
I have up to 60 yard pins on my hunting sight for a reason. Ive looked hard for a good 5 minutes at my post but just cant find where I mentioned anything about not shooting long range shots. Can you please help me? I also cant seem to find where I said anything about your effective shooting range...Again, please show me where I said this.

Am i at the right thread? This thread was about a shooting test, not how great Brown Hornet can shoot.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
I've posted before abouts Alaska's test.

You get to shoot at four 3-d targets and they are set up in challenging positions. One of which is a steep downhill or treestand shot. You must kill every animal once, and at least one twice. You get two shots at each animal, one kneeling ...one standing.. FROM DIFFERENT PINS. You are scored by instructors on whether it would be a killing shot...not if it was in the IBO or ASA X-ring. Angles, quartering away shots, downhills etc...are scored by the intructor and there is NO DEBATE or you are asked to leave.

This test weeded out 4 or 5 potential hunters that couldn't shoot a bow out of my class.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts