Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a Black Hole target as a gift, much to my surprise I shoot thru it or have my broadheads sticking out the back needing to be taken off before removal. This is with a 470 gr.
arrow with a 100gr Muzzy 4 blade @250 ft/sec. Field tips seem ok and this is the newer 9 inch wide target. Do you guys see this as well?????

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Yep!!!! Shot mine out in less than 6 months. But to be truthful that was 8000 or 10000 shots.

As to the point penetrating all the way thru... Yep especially at 20 yards or less...

I won't buy another....

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
All of the foam targets work great for field/target points. But as soon as you start shooting them with broadheads they go to pot fast. It happened to my Block. The guys that I know that have or had the Block said the same thing happened to them. Two of the ranges I shoot at have either the Range Blocks or targets made of the same stuff. One has lasted for about a year and half the other about 3 years. The one that has had it for 3+ years gets pounded hard from leagues and just regular shooting plus their outdoor ranges are the same stuff and they are still in great shape. You just need to keep broadheads away from them.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Had the same luck? with the Block

I have just experimented with the homemade foam targets described on BowZone and they seem to be working fine at the 1 week mark.

I prefer the broad head stick out the back so that I can remove it...I think you do more target damage pulling the head backwards than you do when shooting it, at least that way it only cuts one time per shot instead of cutting both in and out.

Bboswell

·
edthearcher
6,458 Posts
broad head targets

maybe just maybe some one will come up with a good broad head target other than putting up 10 yards of sand or dirt in your back yard so you dont have to travel to your local club. i bought one from my local pro shop little jons said he had used the same one for three years held up great after the first 100 broad heads they were flying threw ,here in wisconsin we have broad head leagues plus weekend tournments also are famous neeceda shoot which attracts over 1000 broad head shooters maybe if we all get togeather a pray to our archery god it will help:p

·
Registered
336 Posts
Re: Had the same luck? with the Block

bboswell said:
I have just experimented with the homemade foam targets described on BowZone and they seem to be working fine at the 1 week mark.

I prefer the broad head stick out the back so that I can remove it...I think you do more target damage pulling the head backwards than you do when shooting it, at least that way it only cuts one time per shot instead of cutting both in and out.

Bboswell
Hey there bboswell.....How is that target holding up that you made from the directions over at bowzone? I am curious to see if it's lasted as long as mine has. :D

·
Registered
60 Posts
Black holes are Sh*t in a 15 min shooting session with my dad and my brother had arrows all going throw completely. Even with my old 35 pound browning i used to have

·
Registered
102 Posts
Target

I shoot mostly field points but my experiences are the same. The black hole got chewed up way too fast. The medium size block was a lot better but cost $100 and still failed. I now shoot field points in to a home made rag box and it is working very good and is very cheap to make. I know you were interested in broadhead targest but try a rag box for field points and save your money for beer and burgers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
McKenzie Carbon Block

I've no experience with shooting broadheads in these type of targets, but I can tell you this. I shot out a Block in less than 3 months in my basement with field points at 3 to 10 yds. Bowbender 7 recommended that I try the McKenkie Carbon Block because he had good success with it. I have shot mine for almost a year in my basement and have just now started getting pass throughs. But here is the great thing about this backstop. You can make it tighter by moving the cables that hold it together in another slot. You can take it apart, like I did, and move the the shot out layers on the top and bottom leaving you with new layers in the middle. You have 4 sides to shoot vs. 2. And when the backstop is done buy another. When it is in the same shape as the first, I suspect you can combine all of the good layers into 1 new target!
Toddbow

·
Registered
616 Posts
First day on the two that I've had start shooting through. What I've done on this second one is instead of shooting through the center, paint or stick a target closer to the top or the bottom (I have 2 about 7 - 8 inches from the top and bottom), foam seems to be a bit tighter there. Doesn't really bother me though, I shoot w/field points and only w/broadheads on the day or day b4 the hunt, still lasts pretty long.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
website

Any websites for the bowzone your talking about????

:confused:

·
Registered
477 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts