Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small problem I can't seem to fix. I hit the target fine out to 40 yards but from there to 80 the arrow goes progessively more to the left. I've looked into everything from torque to not holding my bow level but it doesn't seem to matter. Any sugggestions?

·
Registered
10,738 Posts
You didnt mention the type of sight or if you checked to ensure its square.....

It may not show up at 40 yds but 80 and everything starts to show up.

Also at longer distances people start looking through the peep a little differently because of the angle of the bow.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I have a small problem I can't seem to fix. I hit the target fine out to 40 yards but from there to 80 the arrow goes progessively more to the left. I've looked into everything from torque to not holding my bow level but it doesn't seem to matter. Any sugggestions?
A couple things here could be causing this.

One issue is your second axis is not level with the bow. To check this, place your bow in a bow vise and place a level on the sting and the riser to ensure the bow is level front to back and side to side. Now if your sight has a bubble level, look to see where the bubble is. If the second axis is level, the bubble should be in the middle. If the bubble is off center, then if possible adjust the bubble level until it lines up with the level on the riser. If you can't adjust the level, then you are going to have to shim the sight accordingly to adjust it.

The second issue in play here is the third axis adjustment. Since at the farther distances the bow is actually slighly elevated, the third axis will come into play. Think of third axis as a door attached to its hinge. By moving the sight housing closer or further away on this "hinge" will help to level the third axis. Not all sights have this adjustment available so you may or may not be able to adjust it.

What you can do, is sight in your sight at the furthest distance you intend to shoot(say 60 yards for hunting and most, if not all 3D tournaments) and set the windage adjustment here. Doing this should bring the shorter distances inline or just slightly to the right of your furthest pin.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
In addition to the good comments above here are a couple more things to consider.

How did you tune your centershot? It is possible that your rest needs to be moved slightly to the right.

Make sure your anchor is staying tight to your face.

Make sure you are shooting a strong confident shot, getting weak or timid can lead to left (and low) shots. Make sure you are pulling through your release just like you are 20 yards,

Make sure you aren't "peeking" to see where the arrow goes. Pulling your head back from the string can give you a left miss too. Finish the shot.

Mitch

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Wow, these guys have got you covered.

I just need to ask how the bow was tuned. So, did you paper tune, bareshaft or what?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I have the seven pin Spott hogg hunter. I bought the bow from a local shop because I got a good deal on it but i found out real quick they didn't know jack about tuning it. So after three more shops I ended up finding one an hour away that got it shooting for me and it was shot thru paper before i left. I plan on doing a more detailed tune on it as soon as we get some days without this wind. I'll check everything you guys said and go from there. It's not that im missing the target but it's definetly off to the left and like I said gets worse the father out I go. As far as my shot goes I don't try to peek, i know what your saying about this and i am pretty good (at least I think I am) at following thru on the shot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Shots straying to the side farther and farther as you step back is normal if the sight was only sighted in at short range or if the sight's level wasn't set properly (both second and third axis come into play on shots past 40 yards or so). Try just setting the windage at 60 yards and see what you get. If the arrow flight was already confirmed with paper at multiple distances then I wouldn't be moving the rest and de-tuning the bow.

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
I agree with what Buster just said. As long as you have tuned properly then work with your sight.
Just keep in mind that "tuned properly" means your form, centershot, nock height, cam lean, arrow spine .... if you can paper tune at multiple distances you probably have these set pretty well.

1. Make sure both 2nd and 3rd axis are set up correctly and watch your bubble when you shoot. Also, make sure your pins are all aligned with the wire.

2. Sight your left/right in at a longer distance (60) and then come back to 20 and see where you are. You can get a much more precise L/R sight setting at the longer range, but it will have a less noticeable affect at 20.

Mitch

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ill try all this as soon as this tropical storm moves on. thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts