Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a multiple finger injury, I have had to start shooting my recurve with a D-loop and release. I know that's a dirty untraditional sin. Just wondered if anyone has any experience with this? How they set up their tiller, and tuned? Thanks

·
Registered
20,760 Posts
I -

First, get the word tiller out of your head.
You will basically be tuning your bow as if it were a compound, meaning fairly close to center shot, and then use standard paper tuning rules, but keep the frame about 5' from the bow. You will most likely need a stiffer arrow than expected.

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Don't know if you read that or someone told you that, but regardless how you acquired that misinformation it qualifies for the "BS Award." I started shooting (hunting with) recurves in 1964 and back then there were recurve bow hunters that were using release aids that were generally used by target shooters shooting target bows. For a longtime my brother and I used the "Model B "Hotshot." We evolved to using the "Hotshot" because of extreme cold weather and could wear warm gloves and stay at the ready on the release.

There were recurve hunters that also used the rope release and the tension release. I tried the tension release and immediately ****-canned it when I ended up with a bloody nose when drawing.

When using a "D" loop keeping in mind it will reduce your draw length and also reduce draw poundage. Also, using a release will reduce the paradox of your shaft, requiring that the window of the bow you are using should (best) be cut-past-center.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I know that's a dirty untraditional sin
Don't know if you read that or someone told you that, but regardless how you acquired that misinformation it qualifies for the "BS Award." I started shooting (hunting with) recurves in 1964 and back then there were recurve bow hunters that were using release aids that were generally used by target shooters shooting target bows. For a longtime my brother and I used the "Model B "Hotshot." We evolved to using the "Hotshot" because of extreme cold weather and could wear warm gloves and stay at the ready on the release.

There were recurve hunters that also used the rope release and the tension release. I tried the tension release and immediately ****-canned it when I ended up with a bloody nose when drawing.

When using a "D" loop keeping in mind it will reduce your draw length and also reduce draw poundage. Also, using a release will reduce the paradox of your shaft, requiring that the window of the bow you are using should (best) be cut-past-center.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If it works for you by all means go for it. You'll just have to tune your bow to work for you. I'm an instinctive shooter I'm not sure how well it would work for that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You make a very good point, shooting in the freezing cold is about as painful on the fingers as anything! I had a chuckle about your bloody nose because I have done that as well, nothing like getting in a fight with yourself and loosing. Thanks for the vote of confidence, I didnt even consider the paradox, thanks for mentioning that. All the best to you!

·
Registered
138 Posts
One thing I found when shooting a recurve (no sights) with a release is trying to find a consistent anchor point that gives a “tight” sight picture for typical 3-D/ hunting distances. I sure it is something that can be worked out but thought I’d mention it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts