Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys shoot with a slight "cant" or angle with aiming with your bow? I have found I have to force myself to get a perfect vertical hold when shooting. The 2nd axis adjustments is how you compensate for this with your site...correct? What if you shoot a single pin slider or a vertical pin sight?

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
Tried this @ 30 yards... (applies to a hunting bow)

I've had an ongoing problem with tuning my bow.

One of the things I tried (to help eliminate things) was to check for angle of my bow during shooting. Because I do shoot out of a tree sling (have done so for 4 years) which presents weird shooting bow / body positions.

Thinking this was part of the problem, I put a small w/b in the holder (smallest usable for the small diameter arrows I shoot) and did some tests.

Shot at 15 degrees angle both ways, and with the smallest biscuit (holding the arrow on center) I realized it is not an issue whatsoever at 30 yards with the smallest biscuit. (15 degrees either way)

IMHO I think it's much more important to focus on the target, than to worry about watching the site level during "the heat of the moment."

I shoot single pin set up for 28 yard shot which works for everything out to about 35 yards out of a treestand. I don't move the slider for yardage. Beyond 35 I think there would be a problem with the 15 degrees though. Especially because I use the single pin, and just put it on the top of the deers back if I have to try and "reach out a bit further."

Keeps everything simple, and it seems to work great as long as the deer doesn't drop down during those further away shots. Bow's not a rocket, but it's quick. - has a 321 ibo.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Your Kant is not set at the 2nd axis....On flat ground you might get by with it that way, but outside..no no and no...

The Kant is set where the site bar attahes to the sight. After the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis has been set...

Toxonics has a brief explanation on their web site

To the best of my knowledge, tox and sur loc are the only site manufactors that currently have the Kant adjustment....Some pros shoot kant, some don't....the ones that don't have offsetting weights on their bows... Coaches that I have spoken with suggest adding weight to the needed side.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I sometimes accidentally cant my compound like a do with my long bow. I do not think that you should, for a couple of reasons.

It is hard to get the same cant every time. Some fallaways may interfere if you cant. You may not be able to shoot for a very long time because your stabilizer, like a plum bob, will want to use gravity and make your bow stay verticle. Also, your pins cannot be vertical, they would have to adjust to the angle of your cant. Also, I think you would have to cant your head, which may throw off your form.

But if you like to cant, and if you have the right rest and sight, and you practice enough, you could do it.

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Sometimes I have a "can't", in my bow.

Can't hit a deer, can't hit a turkey, can't hit a bullseye.......

·
Registered
561 Posts
How many of you guys shoot with a slight "cant" or angle with aiming with your bow? I have found I have to force myself to get a perfect vertical hold when shooting. The 2nd axis adjustments is how you compensate for this with your site...correct? What if you shoot a single pin slider or a vertical pin sight?
Your peep is probably too high and your draw too long if you shoot with a cant.

Try moving down your peep first and shorten your draw to fine tune.

You might want to change your grip a bit as well.

After a while it feels comfortable

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
When shooting indoors if I let my bow assume its natural position, there is a slight cant. I adjust my bubble until it's between the lines. Since I'm only shooting one distance, I don't adjust my bar, just the bubble. When shooting outdoors, I'm seldom on level ground so I square my bow and force myself to hold my bow level.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
Your Kant is not set at the 2nd axis....On flat ground you might get by with it that way, but outside..no no and no...

The Kant is set where the site bar attahes to the sight. After the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd axis has been set...

Toxonics has a brief explanation on their web site

To the best of my knowledge, tox and sur loc are the only site manufactors that currently have the Kant adjustment....Some pros shoot kant, some don't....the ones that don't have offsetting weights on their bows... Coaches that I have spoken with suggest adding weight to the needed side.
Not really ,The first 3rd axis compensation was by britesite. with the 3rd axis scopes with the moveable bubble.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Remember the song: "SHOULDER LEAN":mg:

Step from right to left and let your shoulder lean, shoulder lean!:banana::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
507 Posts
You have to either get it plum or consistent.

At long distances a kant will cause left and right misses. This is how target shooters compensate for the wind. You find out how far you have to kant for the wind and that way you are able to still hold on the x.

But shooting with a kant can be done, it just takes a lot of extra steps to get the sight set up so it can be done consistently.

Mason

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Sometimes I have a "can't", in my bow.

Can't hit a deer, can't hit a turkey, can't hit a bullseye.......

LOL was gonna post the same thing.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Oldarcher on this board has some interesting pictures of himself shooting , and his bow setup , if you want to see cant , I believe he is quite a good scorer , archer , what works for one person may not for another

1 - 16 of 16 Posts