Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Deermaster 60" 55# @ 28". I shoot split finger anchoring with the index finger just behind my canine. At 10 yards the point of my arrow is about a foot below from where I want the arrow to end up. When I go to 20 yards the distance from the target to the point of the arrow seems to increase or remain the same.
I would think the arrow point and the target point would come closer together as you get farther from the target. Question is there anything wrong? :confused2:

·
Registered
20,290 Posts
emt -

Nope. That has to do with the part of the arc the arrow is in at the various distances and the change in depth of field.

As a stranger example, sight shooters learned a long time ago, that at 5 yds (and under) their 20 yd setting is usually spot on. (YMMV - but only slightly)

Viper1 out.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Not really,the Deermaster is a pretty good performing bow and unless your "really" counting inches the percieved gap at those type of ranges usualy looks very similar.
I belive your aiming style is probably more a split vision sort of thing if your seeing that.
It's exactly the same for me out to around 30 yards,the gap,or sight picture doesn't really change that much either.

·
Registered
551 Posts
..At 10 yards the point of my arrow is about a foot below from where I want the arrow to end up. When I go to 20 yards the distance from the target to the point of the arrow seems to increase or remain the same....
It has to do with the trajectory of the arrow and how far above the arrow your eye is. The closer to the target, the higher the point of the arrow appears for the same angle. The higher your eye is above the arrow, the further below the target the point of the arrow will be.

Put a piece of tape on the belly of the sight window about 3" above the arrow. Draw your bow at various distances and note that while the tape is lined up with the target, the point of aim gets lower as you get further back.

It's ironic that I can use the same point of aim from 20 to 40 yards and have the arrows hit within inches of each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts