Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to bowhunt years ago. I want to get back into it. I am looking for a used bow about 1 - 3 years old for hunting whitetail deer and elk. Can anyone suggest a good make and model.

Thanks,

Trail Boss954

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like Elite Bows.

Personally I think the z28 is sweet, but I have one. There are a lot of great bows. Pick the one that fits you best.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Try a Hoyt. Alphamax, Katera, Alphaburner, or maybe a Maxxis. The Burner might be a bit agressive but it depends what your looking for. There really is a ton of good bows on the market right now.

·
Registered
173 Posts
bow

Go to the local club and see what you like. I bet some one would be willing to let you fling an arrow or two to see if you like their brand.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
if you want something with a warrenty you could get a nice elite z28 or gt500. if you aren't concerned about a warrenty then maybe a quest xpb, mathews switchback xt, or a mathews drenalin... a diamond black ice or marquis would make a nice hunting rig also. if you are into hoyts, you could look for an alphamax or a katera.

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
First shoot the bows at any shop or store you can, to find out or get a guage on what you like best.
I have my favorites as you can see in my signature, but im not you. Please do yourself a favor to get the feel of all the bows out,and what will fit YOU!!!!!! the best.

·
Im a Father and Bowhunter
6,004 Posts
Its a personal thing,,you need to try to shoot a few and see what feels good in your hand.There are so many good bows out now its more the feel for the bow then whats printed on the limb.I have shot a few bows and liked most of them,and i ended up with a Athens Accomplice 34. I have to say im very happy with it but you might not be,this is why you need to try as many bows as you can. Dont look at the name on it just shoot what feels good to you..Good luck in your search.

·
Classifieds Administrator
39,121 Posts
Mathews Switchback XT

All around great bow! Can get them around $450 or so in our classifieds occasionally.

Pleasure to shoot.

·
Registered
24,604 Posts
Another vote for the Z 28. Try the whole Elite line if you can great shooting bows and the 2010's are amazing at full draw for hunting you cant beat it

·
Registered
827 Posts
I prefer the Elites and for just getting back into archery I would also suggest the z28 or the gt500. I would also suggest that you shoot a few different bows like others have said. The Hoyt maxxis and the alpamax are both great bows so are the Mathews z-7 and the older switchback XT. I would think you would be happy with any 1 of those 6 bows all great shooters with easy draws.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
A lot of bows are good choices right now. It just depends on what your looking for. If you want a bow that is light for stalking elk howabout looking at the DXT or Hyperlite from Mathews or even the AM32 or Maxxis 31 from Hoyt. These packages are very durable and will still be light in package after you get accessories on them. You could also go with the PSE SS. It was released in 2007 or maybe 2008 and is very short and light so with all your gear wouldn't weigh you down and is a powerful little piece. Either way, you can't go wrong with any of these choices. The DXT and the PSE SS will be cheaper on here do to their age since the AM32 and Maxxis 31 was brought on this year and last year. Good luck.

You may want to sift through all the opinions. Most people will just try to push the bow brand they are shooting. Not that its wrong but to get an unbiased opinion you need to look at all brands to find whats best for you.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Can't go wrong right now, any Hoyt, Mathews,PSE, Bowtech, Martin etc..........

I really like the new line of quest bows made by G5. Very affordable and innovative in their own ways. A great bow for the money and are available through Gander Mountain. I dont own one but have shot one a few times and man they're nice!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
It depends what you are looking to spend. Go to some shops to see if they have any '09s left, and work out a deal...Hoyt, Mathews,etc...

·
Registered
641 Posts
I hate to jump on bandwagons, but the new elite I bought this yr is a real nice shooting hunting bow.
I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to try before you buy. I've been a Mathews fan, owning 4 new models in the last 5 yrs. Great bows too. But when shopping for a new bow for this yr, I tried several different bows from different manufacturers. All were nice bows, but the one I bought just felt better to me. Thats important.

Educate yourself on various models such as brace ht, axle to axle length, draw length of the bow you are buying and is the DL adjustable or will you need to buy new cams or modules to get it to fit. Some bow companies, not many, will warranty the bow even if you are not the original purchaser. That's a huge comfort factor, and may push you to buy that companys bow.

I will say this, in all of my yrs of shooting various bows from different companies I've only had 2 bows develop a problem. Neither of them being in the last 15 yrs. I shoot yr around, so they have had plenty of opportunity to break.

I have recommended Parker bows to a few people entering archery after a long layoff for a couple of reasons. They are under rated in performance and quality and you can find some very good deals on these bows brand new. So you are getting a new bow for less than what some of the premier brand name bows are selling for used.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
2008 Ross Cardiac! Smooth, Quiet, Fast! Sold here on AT for 280$! When these came out they were $700 bows!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts