Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shopping for my first compound bow for whitetail deer hunting from a treestand or ground blind. I have a 24" draw length and require a 40# minimum draw weight, however would like a bow that can go up to 60# or 70#. I am short and my hands are small but I am relatively strong.

I have narrowed my choices down and was wondering if any women have experience with any of these bows:
Bear Siren
Bowtech Assassin SD
Darton DS-3900
Darton DS-3800 SD

I recently saw some discussion on this forum about the Hoyt Vicxen and Mathews Jewel and am considering adding these to the list as well.

Also, what are some thoughts on buying a bow without shooting it first? The outfitters in my area don't carry some of these bows so I could be ordering my bow off the internet before I ever get to shoot it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I bought a bow once without shooting it and it didn't work out. I would definitely try shooting the ones you can, and if you don't like those then maybe considering ordering?

Edit: The bow I bought without shooting first was the Hoyt Vicxen. I really wanted to love that bow but the draw cycle felt very stiff and I had a really hard time pulling a lower draw weight than I was shooting on my other bow. Was lucky enough to have a shop stock the Jewel when it first came out. Shot it, loved it, and plan on keeping it for a long time.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Just be advised. Hoyt dumped the vicxen line. They now just sell any of bows in the vicxen packages aka pink

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
I totally agree with above post. I too, have bought before shooting and it didn't work out as well. There are many great bows out there today. I recommend trying as many bows as possible before buying. Most bows come with 10# increments, unless you try the Mission line of bows or a a Diamond Razor Edge. Good luck in your search, most shops carry a limited selection of bows in stock for us girls.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'm just getting ready to purchase my second bow this year without shooting it first. I wouldn't recommend it! I first got a pse stiletto now I've traded it in for a hoyt carbon element. I like the stiletto but I wanted the CE and was told I shouldn't get it because I wouldn't get the performance for the money because I needed a 25"dl and 40+- lbs therefor changing the limbs and cams to fit me. Now they do come in a smaller weight and poundage. I have tried bow shops all around me and none accommodates for women. It's very frustrating! If you have shops that have bows in your size try them out you have to make the decision on what you like. Everyone will have an opinion, good and bad about bows. Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just purchased a Bear Apprentice 2 about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. This is my first bow so I didn't want to break the bank just getting into the sport. The thing that drew me to the bow was the adjustability of the draw length and weight. It will adjust from 20-60 lbs draw weight which is perfect for me because I have a really strong upper body and didn't want to keep changing out limbs. I didn't like the rest or the sight however so I replaced both of those. Overall I am very happy with my bow.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't think that I could do it.....buy a bow without shooting it first. When shopping for my 2nd bow I put a bunch of miles on the truck going from shop to shop and then back again before buying. I see that your account says Springfield, OH....looks like there are quite a few shops in the Columbus area.
http://www.archery-stores.com/stores/oh/springfield
Make a day trip of it and shoot as many bows as you can. We actually hired a baby sitter and made a day date of bow shopping the first time around.

The palms of my hands are really small so the grip on my Jewel didn't sit quite right. Causing me to torque the bow. So I swapped it out with a grip from this company:
http://www.torqueless.com/

Bows that have weight specific limbs are going to overall shoot a bit better than those that are so adjustable. Anyone that reads my posts are going to know that I pimp Mission by Mathews bows....good entry level pricing with Mathews technology. Mission is to Mathews as Old Navy is to GAP....different price points.

Good luck!! Shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on before making that purchase....best advice any of us can give is that!!!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don't do it! I tried several before buying my CE RKT. I have a 24.5" DL and my bow is now set at about 46lbs. I tried a Vicxen, Jewel and really wanted the Mathews X7 but it's not made for my short DL and lower poundage. I narrowed it down to the Jewel and the CE RKT. It was tough but in the end it was the CE (by a thin margin!). I found that the CE was way different in feel than my Mission Menace and it took some getting used to. Now there's no turning back. I love my CE. However, they are not for everybody!!!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Don't do it! I tried several before buying my CE RKT. I have a 24.5" DL and my bow is now set at about 46lbs. I tried a Vicxen, Jewel and really wanted the Mathews X7 but it's not made for my short DL and lower poundage. I narrowed it down to the Jewel and the CE RKT. It was tough but in the end it was the CE (by a thin margin!). I found that the CE was way different in feel than my Mission Menace and it took some getting used to. Now there's no turning back. I love my CE. However, they are not for everybody!!!
I too had a tough time in deciding between the jewel and the CE. But in the end the CE won out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts