Archery Talk Forum banner

shopping with camo on?

2K views 53 replies 48 participants last post by  txgolfer45 
#1 ·
Why is it that this time of year, any outdoors store or outdoor section of a store has a bunch of people looking at hunting stuff in head to toe camo?? I had to run into Walmart at lunch today (Subway at walmart close to work), and decided to run back to the hunting section to pick up a new video. 4 guys back there shopping with full camo on. They were not together either.

What's even better, stand next to them and listen to their conversations. That goes to the thread of "the rut will be early this year" and crap like that. I'm in Michigan and one guy was buying Biologic that he's going to plant in October in front of his "shack" :wacko: :wacko:

Just don't get it. Same thing will happen the closer we get to firearm season. People will feel compelled to shop and walk around with orange hat and clothes on.

#3 ·
Dude, you have no clue how bad it is here in PA lol. I could tell you some stories, but you'd think I was lieing :D

#4 ·
wearing camo just means...."get out of my way cause I mean business" Maybe they got it and are breaking it in or maybe they are hiding from there boss's....

#5 ·
You oughta be at the little country convience store about 2 miles from where I gun hunt at noon on opening day of gun season. This little place has like fried chicken, potatoe wedges all kinds of good stuff to eat. It so full you can barely find a place to park with all the hunters coming in to get food. Hunters come out of the woodwork in gun season, this is why I prefer bow season.:wink:

#6 ·
Next time you see one all decked out in camo from head to toe run into him with your shopping cart and the claim, "Sorry, I didn't see you, man that stuff really works! D'ju get that stuff here?:ROFLMAO:

I'll be honest I like to lurk in the sporting goods isles at Wally World just witness the idiots and their conversations concerning deer hunting. It's both entertaining and really scary.

#8 ·
Ive been guilty of that...but most of the time I was hunting in the morning and just went in to get shells or somethin like that.

G
#9 ·
My wife, little girl and I all had dinner in a little yuppie mountain town last weekend after a day of coyote hunting, and we were in full camo. Sometimes it the only thing you got on when you need something. I don't have a problem with it. I've been to Wally World several times in camo, I just don't join in on the idiotic conversations.

#10 ·
Holzy said:
Why is it that this time of year, any outdoors store or outdoor section of a store has a bunch of people looking at hunting stuff in head to toe camo?? I had to run into Walmart at lunch today (Subway at walmart close to work), and decided to run back to the hunting section to pick up a new video. 4 guys back there shopping with full camo on. They were not together either.

What's even better, stand next to them and listen to their conversations. That goes to the thread of "the rut will be early this year" and crap like that. I'm in Michigan and one guy was buying Biologic that he's going to plant in October in front of his "shack" :wacko: :wacko:

Just don't get it. Same thing will happen the closer we get to firearm season. People will feel compelled to shop and walk around with orange hat and clothes on.
what does it matter, frankly maybe it's different down here but i see people in camo all year. Matter o fact I have a camo visor with the LSU emblem on it that i wear all year long.

#11 ·
SpotShy said:
I'll be honest I like to lurk in the sporting goods isles at Wally World just witness the idiots and their conversations concerning deer hunting. It's both entertaining and really scary.
should of heard the conversation with joker outside my church last week handing out the pamphlets about killing animals and how horrible it was. . . . . .Hunter hating drives me nuts!!!!!

#12 ·
nthewild said:
maybe they hunted the morning and realized that they needed something. i don't know, just a scenario
Not unless they were small game hunting (or possibly bear too, not sure on closing date for bear). Deer season starts Oct. 1 in Michigan.

#13 ·
I have been to gander mountain & listen to the guy's in the hunting section tell the other guys standing there how to kill big bucks & just to listen to them talk makes me feel stupid some guys are just idiot's i just continue looking around like i never even heard a thing the moron just said.:tsk: :tsk:

#14 ·
Maybe...

Holzy said:

You should ask yourself..."Why does this bother me so much?"

In my little part of the world you see camo all year round and it is VERY common to see a camo hat on about every other person. Most businesses make about equal camo to "normal" hats.

Most of "us" would probably be very ******* to you and your little world.

I will gladly stay in mine!

Tom

#16 ·
4 guys dressed in full camo in the sporting goods departments that are talking nonsense hunting tactics ---- store security. Trust me, those guys will do anything to catch a theif. 10 to 1 they were watching the store personel closer than the shoppers. :zip:

#17 ·
Holzy said:

dude i thought i was the only one. every time those guys need to go to gander or jays to get something they make sure they put on there fall hunting gear on, dont know if ther tryin to look more woodsy or what, and i seriously doubt they all came in from the woods. I was in gander gettin som BH's 75degrees out and seen some full on late fall gear guys gettin arrows cut. Nothin wrong with wearin a camo hat but i always get a laugh when i see the guys that get "ready" to go to gander.

#18 ·
All our Wally World workers are dressed in ful camo with name tags and such! It's cute! LMAO!!

Like the worker at Bass Pro said the other day (he was selling carbon arrows to a camo clad man)...."We DON'T have those in stock, but these will work!"
He was selling the guy Dominator 200's when he needed 400's!
But, who am I to second guess.........:wink:

#19 ·
Just hope that they hunt in the nieghboring property. Its no doubtedly the clothes they go into the woods with. So they stink to high even and chase all the deer to you!:wink:

#20 ·
You should ask yourself..."Why does this bother me so much?"

In my little part of the world you see camo all year round and it is VERY common to see a camo hat on about every other person. Most businesses make about equal camo to "normal" hats.

Most of "us" would probably be very ******* to you and your little world.

I will gladly stay in mine!
I never said it bothered me. You do NOT see people in full camo in the summer shopping, nor in the winter or spring. But, get close to deer season and head to an outdoors store and it seems as though people feel as though since they are going shopping for deer hunting stuff, better dress like I'm goin huntin :) Just cracks me up is all.

In fact, I had to tease my dad for the same thing once. We were headed to Jay's Sporting goods (most MI folks on hear know about Jay's). There was no open hunting season, but when I stopped to pick him up, he was sporting his mossy oak shirt. I asked him if he was going hunting and if not, why he felt compelled to where hunting clothes shopping.

Again, just a funny observation.

#21 ·
I have been to gander mountain & listen to the guy's in the hunting section tell the other guys standing there how to kill big bucks & just to listen to them talk makes me feel stupid some guys are just idiot's i just continue looking around like i never even heard a thing the moron just said.
You should try being on the other side of the counter... Man could I tell you some stories...

"I need sum rifled slugs to shoot out of my rifled barreled shotgun"

"Ya'll got any rifled .410 shotguns?"

Day before archery opener "Can you set this bow up for my 11 yr old son.. we're going bowhuntin tomorrow.." Bow is 70# and 31" draw... Explain to the customer that it won't work.. only to hear "can't you just throw a short string on it or sumthin?"

"Ya'll got this gun in Mossy Oak? Only one I can find is Realtree camo.. and all my camo is Mossy Oak.. "

"Ya'll got any cheap practice arrows? I want to buy some good hunting arrows.. and some cheap practice arrows"

"Can you set up this bow I bought off my buddy for $500...." Bow sold for $300 new... or is 1980s Whitetail 2 w/ 15 different sized aluminum arrows.

"What do you mean you can't get me a new limb for my 1980s PSE... season starts tomorrow... you mean you don't have them in stock?"

"Can you cut these arrows down for me?"
reply.. "well sir.. how long do you need them"..
customer "I don't know... you're the bow guy"
reply "Sir do you have your bow with you?"
customer " No.. I just need some arrows..."

#22 ·
I went to the Forksville PA bow festival this past weekend and I've gone for a few years now and a lot of people are in head to toe camos. Now if you have never been to this thing..its a big bow shoot/vendor selling equiptment festival. its actually pretty cool but i dont get why everyone has camo's on. most of the guys are probably wearing their hunting camo's gettin all sorts of scent and stuff in em.:tongue:

#23 ·
A lot of these guys are the same ones who wonder why they don't see many deer or get busted always by walking right out of that store and into the woods. It's actually kind of funny, but I have less issues walking into Wally World wearing camo than picking up stuff at the grocery store with my camo on and won't even think of it unless I was out for turkey or small game. If deer hunting, I have finally convinced the wife about the whole scent thing to the point that she no longer asks. :)

Mike

#24 ·
That's nothing! I sell Harleys for a living.
You should see some of the stuff I see!
Guys in dress slacks and shirts, wearing their "official HD" leather vest?
Or their "doo rags" on their heads? Or, BOTH!
It's like they keep it in the car in case they have to stop in.
Like we wouldn't let them in the door unless they have it on?

I have seen well dressed women in skirts wearing their vest.
They drove up in a car.

Middle of winter, dude strolls in, wearing his chaps?
WTH?

Funny stuff for sure.

The worst though is not what some customers decide is the official "go to the HD dealership costume" it is when they "Bro" me.
Like for some reason, all of the sudden they feel the need to talk like a 1%er hardcore biker?
I have news for them, I have been riding HDs for over 23 years and my closest riding friends do not ever call me "Bro".

I wear camo to Walmart though. But only if I have been in the woods that morning. I think the hunting knife on my belt makes them a little nervous:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.