Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keep'n Archery Real
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is based on anything, but for some reason I just can't get myself to like a short Axle to Axle bow. My current bow, the PSE Thunderbolt with Lightening cam is 37" A2A and I love it.

I have shot a Firestorm which is a 33" A2A and I did fairly well with it, but still I just couldn't make myself like it. Are my prejudices based on anything? Or am I just weird? :)

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I'd say your prejudice is absed on practical experience and knowing what feels good to you---a good thing.

I'm not a big guy at 5'8" and still prefer bows in the 37"-38" range. I have shot and own a 32" ShadowCat that was custom built. I also have bows in the longer A2A and can unequivically say that longer shoots smoother and more accurately. They do so because of the law of physics.

Now that being said, there are some shorter bows that shoot very nicely. Those being the ones with long risers and parallel limbs. That long riser has a lot of weight to it. Here again, the laws of physics (inertia). Plus with the lasrger cams and wheels the string angle is not quite as acute making the bow feel and shoot more like a longer A2A bow.

If you like what you have then stick with it. Confidence is a major part of shooting well.

·
Keep'n Archery Real
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, Good to know. I've been toying with the idea of a new bow but so many have a short A2A. And the idea of a new bow is definitely one of desire and not necessity. But I do love my current bow and setup.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I agree completely! I shoot a Bowtech Pro 38 b/c it just feels right. I want a short ata bow to hunt from ground blinds and i have found a few that i like. But I will have to get used to it for sure.

Whatever feels good to you is what you should shoot:wink:

·
Registered
50,379 Posts
Myself I like short axle to axle bows. By the way the firestorm light is 30" not 33":smile:

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Don't mind short ata's as much as I did in the past but still prefer bows around 40 to 42 ata.

Sag.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts