Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has started to become more interested in target archery and even bowhunting. I'm looking for arrow suggestions that will work well for a short draw/low poundage archer. Penetration and tune-ability are both important to me.

She's a 23.5 draw length and will be shooting 35-40lbs. Hopefully 40 by the time she starts hunting although that is not a requirement in all states I think it would be a good goal.

I'm trying to figure out how to tune such a short arrow without putting a really heavy BH on the front. I would like her to shoot 85gr Slick Tricks if possible to maintain a somewhat reasonable trajectory.

So far I've come up with the following possibilities:

VAP 800 Spine and Easton Carbon ION 600 Spine

1) What length should I cut the arrows?
2) Will she be better off with a heavier BH and sacrifice the flatter trajectory?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
257 Posts
well i just have been through all of this with my niece. she is also short (lol) and she is shooting @ 40 lbs @ 24" draw length and a 23" arrow just 1" out front of her revolution rest. i to was trying to set her up with a outfit that i would not have to put to much weight out front an still have a tunable arrow but with no answers. i have gone through 3 dozen arrows. well We all know when we add weight to the front of an arrow it weakens the spine. i look at the Dr.Ed Ashby theory, (after all he's only shooting 27"draw length) and i finally tryed a heavy arrow and with a heavy front end. i have her shooting a .400 spine arrow with a 100 grain insert and a 125 grain tip and it has a 23.9 % F.O.C. and it is giving her about a 10.grains per pound. and talk about penetration. and at 35 yard with the necked eye u cant tell that there is any trajectory loss. and for hunting she will be useing The RAGE 40KE. it was designed specifically for those with short draw lengths and/or light draw weights who generate less than 40 foot pounds of kinetic energy. The more forgiving blade angle of the RAGE 40KE, which has a cutting diameter of 1.5 inches, assures greater penetration at lower kinetic energies.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
my gf old setup was 40#@26" with 75gr muzzy beman ics junors. the fly great for light dw. the poster about seams like over kill for a short draw archer, also any rage is a bad idea for anyone not making much momentum or ke. eventhough rage made it for under 40ke my personal feelings are if they dont have enough momentum to blow though the deer or what ever why add a mech.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the recommendations so far.

She will be shooting a fixed blade BH, even for turkeys b/c of the extremely low DW.

Should I consider cutting the arrows a few inches long to get closer to recommended spine? Maybe 25 or 26 inches?

d_money, what did you think was overkill?

·
Registered
257 Posts
he was talking about the setup i have for my niece. 100 grain insert and 125 grain BH he saying that is an over kill. his opinion
weekender21
have you read or are you familiar with ED Ashby?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the EASTON chart, if I cut her arrows long (at 25") and put 125gr+ up front, I should be good with the .600 spined ION.

Maybe a 125gr Razortrick BH! Total arrow weight would be about 315gr, almost 8gr/pound. That should be a good combination. Any thoughts?

I am familiar with Ashby but haven't read too much. Trad guy right?

·
Do say when...
1,736 Posts
I got the same thing on my mind! I want something light, that still has some good foc. Not really worried about hunting, just target for now. I'm liking the vap idea.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Easton makes an Axis with a .600 spine also, that would bring the total arrow weight closer to 330gr assuming a 125gr BH.

·
Do say when...
1,736 Posts
I think I will go with a VAP. .600 spine with the 33 grain insert and a 75 grain tip. On the back I'll go with some pink gateway 2in. feathers and a QAD nock. I went with the 600 instead of the 700 or 800 because the chart 600 and plus I'll have extra weight out front anyway. Ot2 says I'll be a bit stiff tho.

·
Registered
10,858 Posts
GT ultralight entrada. Cut them from both ends and they will spin to .001" no problem. Cheap, light and they take ICS components.

-Grant

1 - 17 of 17 Posts