Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to purchase a new bow and was wondering what would be best for keeping my arrow speed up since my draw is so short.

i am shooting an FX now set on 68lbs. with a 25 inch draw length.

i have decided it would probably be between the SB or bowtech equalizer. all the SB negative feedback has got me kinda sciddish.

all feedback and comments welcome, just trying to find out some info on what bow would be better and i have not eliminated all the others so if someone knows of a bow that could be good post it.
thanks.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
The BowTech Equalizer is made specifically for shorter draw people and is a great bow. I would not hesitate to try one of those. It is lightweight, smooth and quick!

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Go to this web sight and down load the free Archery program . It will list all the bows and give you speeds and tell you what arrows will work for you.It is a great program and has been on the money for me. I was not impressed with the bowtech equalizer .they will have many bows listed so check there specs ect.but, look at that one ..and the martin cougar with nitrous cams . I have a 26 inch draw and this sucker is fast and accurate. If that is what you want any ways .Also, if you can find a pearson SDS those are very good as well..Good luck and enjoy..

http://www.pinwheelsoftware.com/

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
I have an Equalizer and really like it. For a shorter bow it holds very well and it
will give you the most speed of any bow at your draw length.

·
Registered
579 Posts
check out the Mathews Prestige. It has received rave reviews and is built for short draw folks. Remember that the Equalizer only goes to 60 pounds. If you start shooting a 350 grain or heavier arrow out of it, it's not so fast any more. You would be better off with an Allegience or a Tribute set at 65-70 pounds. You might also consider the APA Suphan. It will do around 280 fps at your draw length and by all accounts it is a smooth bow.

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Slidellkid -- Allegience and Tribute only go to 26. He needs 25.

A 60 lb bow will kill any whitetail alive and is much easier to pull on those cold mornings.

·
Registered
6,665 Posts
The Equalizer is a fine bow... whether it is the fastest or not, the answer differes depending on who you ask. However, it holds rock steady, and consistently puts the arrow wherever it is aimed. The rest is up to the shooter.

·
She's baaaaack!!!!
20,524 Posts
Another short draw shooter here at 25.75 inches.
I haven't tried a lot of the bows out there. But I'll tell you what I know.

The could push an arrow at decent speed was an old Moutaineer with the 2020 riser. I still have it and always will.

Anyway, the Martin Cougar III, Slayers and the newer Cougar 4 with Nitrous cams have shot well for me. I've use them for hunting, indoor X's and 3D. I shot my Cougar III in 3D at 58 lbs. to stay ASA legal (283 fps). At 60 lbs. it shoots my hunting arrow at about 262 fps, if I remember right this arrow weighs about 345 grains. I may be able to give more info tomorrow.

I shot this same arrow out of a 2005 Switchback and it was much slower. I'm not knocking the bow. In fact I liked the SB, it's a nice feeling bow. I have test shot the Mathews Prestige and if I were shopping for a new bow I would definitely want to take this bow for a few laps. It's supposed to perform well, by design, at shorter draws.

Us short draw bowhunters have to pay attention to speed or it very well may not be there. At one time I shot 74 lbs. to break 210 fps when a lot of other shooters were shooting 225 fps at 65 lbs. It's nice to actually have a decent selection to chose from.

The Bowtec Equalizer was designed for shorter draws. You'd probably get all you need for hunting out of this bow at 60 lbs.

Oh, another advantage to the Nitrous cams are draw adjustments, easily changed without a bow press. The Cougars are not the most expensive bow out there.

·
Registered
5,100 Posts
I would really look hard at the prestige, I have 2 of them and love them my draw is 27 3/4 and at Ibo specs I'm getting 306fps out of it for ASA shoots I was shooting a 375 gr arrow at 282fps these bows hold really well and at shorter draws the 6" brace height is not really a issue

Wesley

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks and for you knowledgeable folks what would the estimated speed from a SB be with 25" draw with a gold tip exp. hunter and 85 grain broadhead.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts