Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just need a few opinions here. i am about 5'9.5". is it possible that my optimum Draw Length could be as short as @26.5inches? i am shooting a Mathews SwitchbackXT, which PROBABLY does run long. and i am shooting it with no grip on it which makes it even longer. and the string probably has stretched(stock string).

i am having trouble maintaining tension in my back and keeping my shoulder locked low. at my height, could it be possible that i need to shoot a 26inch cam minus the grip and Mathews tendency to run long?

any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Just a thought, but every Mathews I've owned has been approximately 1/2" long, that coupled with removing the grip I would not be surprised if it actually measured 27.5".

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
Yes, it is very possible.

As a general rule, your bow arm should be straight, not locked, with your elbow out, not down. Viewed from above, your arm should be aligned with your shoulders, and the nock of the arrow, directly below the eye you sight with.

From there, you adjust your release and or d-loop, to get your release arm level with the arrow.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
really

i just can't believe it could be THAT short. so are you saying, if i use a 26.0 inch cam, i could really be shooting 27 inches?

·
Real helos, have 2 rotors
10,241 Posts
You are way better off, ignoring the number and just setting your draw length to fit you. It's not about how big the number is, it's about having your bow set up so you can hit what you aim at. Do a search for threads on "draw length" by nuts&bolts, to be able to tell when your draw length is correct.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pressure

when shooting "back tension", not PUSH/PULL, i mean squeezing the middle back muscles to fire a release, am i supposed to feel and increase in pressure on my bow hand as my back pulls through the shot?

·
Living The Dream
3,796 Posts
I am a full inch taller than you, and my DL is 26.5". It was the same for Matthews as it is Hoyt. However, your strings could've stretched, etc.

·
Registered
9,525 Posts
I'm 5'9" too and my draw length is 26 inches with the grip on. I could maybe shoot 25 1/2" draw. Welcome the short arm party. Better to shoot a hair short then long any day. You then will get the push, pull you want

·
Registered
248 Posts
hold you arms out from your side and measure from finger tip to finger tip then divide that # by 2.5 and thats your correct draw length . if it doesnt match what your shooting then its either in your equipment or in your form.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts