Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fletching with 5" feathers for 10 years now and have been thinking about going to 4". The trend seems to be toward shorter fletching. I was just looking at some posts on the Bowhunting forum with photo's of crested arrows, and they were all 4" or shorter!! I recently tryed to install an Ultra Rest for use with my 5" feathers, and 3/4" of feather was lying in the launcher. I decided against completeing the installation, as I have 2 dozen freshly fletched arrows sporting 5" fletching. What are the pros and cons of going shorter???? I shoot 50lb, with 29" draw. DEERJOHN.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
If you are shoting feathers you may not notice much diff. But with vanes, shorter are more forgiving! Less chance for contact and things of that nature. And the new stiff vanes are really good for flight.

·
Registered
915 Posts
more vane=more weight, possibly more spin depending upon a helical or not, and more drag. (a helical spins it more, giving the arrow more drag and decreased speeds.)

Less vane=Unless you plan on using quickspins, they are substanialy lighter. Which would lead to more speed. The helical part still applies, but there would still be less drag do to less vane/feather to catch that air.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts