Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon the ignorance...new to this archery thing.
If you have a bow that has a rating of 29-32 DL could you effectively change this DL (to 28) by 'stepping down' one size in the string/cable sizes ?
ie: the manufacturer has string/cable sizes for a 28-29DL, as well as 29-32DL with is on your bow) ..could you use the 28-29 strings on your bow?
What all is affected?

·
Registered
182 Posts
im not 100% sure but i dont think you can. the cam or mod is going to need to be changed. you can change the draw lenght alittle by twisting and untwisting the string and cables. it would prob help if you told what kind of bow it is.

·
WapitiBob
6,935 Posts
The preferred method would be to get a new cam and if needed, a new harness.

You can however shorten the draw by twisting the string or buying a shorter one. You'll lose a bunch of let off and peak weight doing so but it will do the job.
When you shorten the string you're just starting the the cam rotation further along it's path. The ending position will be the same.

·
I am nobody.........
8,659 Posts
The preferred method would be to get a new cam and if needed, a new harness.

You can however shorten the draw by twisting the string or buying a shorter one. You'll lose a bunch of let off and peak weight doing so but it will do the job.
When you shorten the string you're just starting the the cam rotation further along it's path. The ending position will be the same.
Exactly. It can be done, but the net results are too detrimental to the overall performance of the bow for my preferences.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
You can, but the trade off is loss of draw weight, lower efficiency, etc....if you can get new modules or cam or a newer bow to your exact draw .....going shorter on the strings/cables isnt worth the hassle IMO .....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts