Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I shot a pretty good buck yesterday but I cant find him. He was thirty yards broadside and I must have hit him high in the shoulder, The buck fell down like I spine shot him, he layed there for what seemed to be about 10 minutes but was probably 1 minute then got up and stagered off. He was really laboring to get out of the field he looked like he was really hurt, he was hunched over with his tail tucked and moving very slowly.I watched him walk about 40 yards to the edge of the woods and then he was gone. I waited 1 hour to get down found what was left of my arrow and didnt go after him for another 2 hours. There is a muzzy broadhead and 6 inches of arrow still in this guy and after 6 hours of searching I can only find about 75 yards of blood trail and it stopped and nothing the blood trail stopped down in a ravine where he would have had to go up a big hill to a thicket or down to a big pond I cant find a thing please help!!!!!!

·
Banned
6,826 Posts
It just hard to say unless you know exactly where you hit him. If you think he is dead you are just going to have to scour around and check every clump of brush till you find him

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
If he's hit good, he'll head downhill towards the water. You are probably not getting much blood, because you don't have an exit hole and the entry hole is high...he's bleeding out inside. Stick with the blood, he'll start coughing it up soon. Also what did the blood look like...dark red, foamy, bright red, foul odor,?? For future situations like this, if he is laying there put another one in him if you have a shot. I am guessing you either went right into the shoulder upon entry or your arrow lodged in the opposite side shoulder. The good news is this is the boiler room area and I am pretty sure he is dead. If you have 6 inches of shaft inside of him, you got vitals and that thing is rolling around in there as he walks, hopefully doing more damage. Get yourself some buddies and pick up the last blood. Put one guy on blood trail duty while you and the others search in a grid pattern. A hard hit animal will run downhill and I bet he headed right for the pond area. Now get out there and go find him. Take plenty of lights and something to mark the blood trail/spots with.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
that happens much too often. I am with Doc...you hit the opposite shoulder and he is bleeding internally. Find the blood, go from there. if you are aloud,get some dogs involved.gl.The one in my avator only bled a spoonful for about 75 yards. went off a highwall. we found him the next day with my spitfire lodged inside the opposite shoulder with 4-5" of shaft. what kind of head where u using?

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like you could have hit the spine..Causes alot of shock instantly, but the animal recovers and is fine..kind of like getting punched in the chin. Happened to a buddy of mine a couple years back on a doe.Arrow stayed in her, dropped in her tracks, spun around a bit, got up and ran away. Good blood for about 150 yards or so, stopped bleeding but just a drop every 50 yards or so. Never found her, I am confident she lived and quickly recovered from the blow to the spine..This could have been what happened to you. Best advice, find where he went. If he traveled up the hill towards safety cover, chances are he isn't mortally wounded. If he travelled downhill towards the pond, you may have gotten him good. Keep us posted! Frank R.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Ditto Doc, Well hit deer run down, as not to expend to much energy in their effort to survive. The dog idea is also a good one if legal and you know someone who has a decent tracking dog. I tried that once with a bloodhound pup, but he wasn't very good, as a matter of fact, he was to young and dumb to be worth a darn, lost the buck, found him 3 days later when the crows pointed him out. Good Luck finding him!!!

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I've seen a couple times that a buck bled out almost completely and then with some sort of supernatural effort, managed to spring himself into some high grass/brush just as he died. One in particular was heartshot, went about 45 yards down a trail at high speed, gushering all the way, and then nothing. We started circles from where the last blood was and found him 15 yards off the trail from the last blood, hidden in a small brushpile. We must've passed him 5 times before we found him... very embarassing. It was as if he'd levitated at a perfect right angle to the direction he'd been heading.

Keep your chin up. If he's hit as bad as you think, he may be very close to where you lost blood. Try increasing circles from last blood until you either find more blood or find him.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Don't forget to look in the pond. A buddy mine shot one a few years ago & that's where he found it. Almost totally submerged in the pond!! Get some help & start a slow grid search. Good luck.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Could be shoulder or spine. If it's shoulder you should be able to find him. If it's spine better luck next time.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Wow this story sounds familiar. Last year this exact thing happened to me. I shot a nice buck but hit it high in the shoulder and he dropped in his tracks and laid there for about five minutes. I thought for sure I had spine shot him. After about five minutes he got and took off running and my arrow flew out(so i thought). I got down and tracked him to were my arrow had come out. I ended up the broadhead/insert had pulled right out of the arrow. I had only gotten about two inches or penetration. I tracked him for about two hundred yards with fairly good blood, but I never found him. It ended up someone shot him that rifles season and he still had my broadhead in him.

But on a good note, it sounds like you got more penetration than I did. Like they said above look around the water.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
FULLTIMEHUNTER said:
Could be shoulder or spine. If it's shoulder you should be able to find him. If it's spine better luck next time.

Good luck! Please keep us posted.
Really? spine shots are that bad?

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
My experience with spine shots are they either drop in their tracks or it is just a wounded deer. Hopefully it was a shoulder shot. Look low and near water.

Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I had spined him how could he move

Guys he looked afully hurt to me when he got up, he was moving at a snails pace when he got up. Should I give up or should I keep looking. Have any of you found a buck after several times out looking for him.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
bigbowman14 said:
Really? spine shots are that bad?
If a spine shot gets back up it most likely will NOT DIE. That is better than a gut shot deer in my oppinion as the gut shot deer will die but often times not be found.

Spine shots usually either kill the deer quickly or the deer does not die due to the placement of the shot. That is what I am referring too here.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
coreysiebert said:
Guys he looked afully hurt to me when he got up, he was moving at a snails pace when he got up. Should I give up or should I keep looking. Have any of you found a buck after several times out looking for him.

Regardless of whether the deer is dead or not you OWE it to that deer to keep looking every hour you possibly can the next couple of days.
See my post above about spine shots.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
14,752 Posts

There is a difference in shooting in the spine(bone) and the spinal cord! A spine shot(bone) will often knock the deer immobile for a brief time due to the shock to the system. A spinal cord shot will KILL the deer and the deer will not be able to get back up.

Hope this helps. Keep looking for him! Where do you live?

·
Registered
593 Posts
Sorry if this comes across as harsh but get off of the computer and go out and look for him......look at leaf patterns, marks on the ground, unusual tracks, odd animal activity, bugs on leaves (attacted to blood), tree limbs (since it was a high hit you are more apt to find blood where he has rubbed against something), etc etc etc....think like he would be thinking.

I tracked one 2 years ago that I found semi alive almost 3 miles from where I shot him. The only track we had that designated him from other deer tracks was a small drag mark in the snow where he was carrying his front shoulder. I spent two full days tracking him and finally found him wounded and unable to move. At one point it took us 4 hours to go 100 yards because it was across an overgrown CRP field and we were on our hands and knees looking for a 5" drag mark in the snow.

I tracked one last year for a guy and I literally got down to the level of a deer and looked at the "natural paths" through the woods. Your insticts will tell you alot. Expect him to be where you would never think he would go.....Sounds Goofy but "Be the Deer"

Good Luck:)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Check in the pond. I have seen it first hand on 3 occasions where dying deer ended up in a lake. It's worth a look! Good luck.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
coreysiebert said:
Should I give up or should I keep looking. Have any of you found a buck after several times out looking for him.
ABSOLUTELY DO NOT GIVE UP!!!! I think you put a good shot on him, but due to the location of the entrance hole and the lack of exit hole he isn't bleeding. Go get him, I'll be he is somewhere down by the pond. I'll even bet he is within 100 yards of where you last saw blood...now round up some friends and get to it. I put what I thought was a really good shot on a buck and when I went to the hit location I found maybe 2 spots of blood where I expected to find tons. I got concerned and headed back to the car to get a light and shed some clothes. I went back to the shot sight and found him behind a tree in a brush pile 25 yards from the hit....I thought I put a bad shot on him, but it was a true double lung. The entry hole sealed up and he bled inside. You should look until you can't look anymore.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts