Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grabbed my indoor setup ('05/'06 XT2000 ProTec, 58#, 28", shooting X-Cutter ULs with helical feathers) and the hinge release I just aquired 5 days ago and shot a 60X game...........

...........from 12 yards. :eek: With ease, I might add. :darkbeer: Just getting the feel of the new hinge and I am diggin' it. Why didn't I get one sooner? :confused:

Just getting some good practice time in. I know the indoor season is a ways away yet, but I am actually looking forward to it. I can't wait to shoot 60Xs in front of everyone on league night. :mg: It's coming, I can feel it. No more 57s or 58s for me. :angry:

Anyone else use the short game to "brush up" from time to time? I have been for a few years now and it really is a nice training technique. Especially before indoors gets going. Those dots screw me up sometimes. :embara:

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use the short game in training to and it really does help. That's good shootin' it doesn't matter if it is "up close" it still isn't easy to shoot a 60X game just because your closer...you still have to maintain your concentration,form, everything matters as much in the short game as it does at 20.

Good luck with the hinge I know once I committed to it totally it made a huge difference in my scores.

·
Time Flies
13,281 Posts
I actually think that the short game is more of a hinderance than a help; you can make a mistake at 10 yards and still catch the X. I actually prefer shooting full games at 30 yards where your mistakes are magnified. The farther out you shoot, the more critical your form is...it'll make you a better shooter at 20 yards, guaranteed.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I actually think that the short game is more of a hinderance than a help; you can make a mistake at 10 yards and still catch the X. I actually prefer shooting full games at 30 yards where your mistakes are magnified. The farther out you shoot, the more critical your form is...it'll make you a better shooter at 20 yards, guaranteed.
That's why I like to use a program I have to scale the targets so it is like shooting at 20.

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
If the target is the same size relative to what it would be at shooting 20 yards, why don't you just shoot 20 yards?

His practice range might not go to 20.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
His practice range might not go to 20.
Yup!

I can only get 12 in the house. If it isn't raining, and I feel frisky, then I can step outside and get 70.

The real point of the drill is to get comfortable holding on that X. To let yourself KNOW that you're going to hit it. And hit it over and over and over again. Then you go back farther. And shoot 60Xs again. Over and over. Then farther, and many more 60X games. It's not just to keep the form tight, but to trick yourself into KNOWING you can shoot all 60 of 'em.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I have a ten yard range in my basement that i shot in all the time. I shoot a five spot vegas face , it really helps aiming at the baby X's. I have actually shot a 60X game on the baby's at ten yards but only one true one at 20. TONS of 59's but I know a steady 60 is coming!!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts