Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my bow that I won on ebay finally. Took it to my cousins for some shooting while the rain stopped for a little while. For the people that are unaware of the bow I bought it is a Browning Nomad Stalker II 55# at 32'' and 52 inches long (previous post I said at 55# at 28") Ive shot an old junk fiberglass recurve for bowfishing for a few years and its not very high poundage but I think it helped me ALOT. The first few shots were horrible as expected but then it all came together and surprised the poo out of me. I was shooting consistantly 9 out of 10 shots average in a spray-painted dot on the target thats about the size of a mason jar lid at about 20 yds give or take a yard or 2. That gave me so much confidence and not to mention a huge relief because of the posts saying I would likely be overbowed which if it was 55# at 28'' I may very well have been. I had a blast and cant wait for the rain to stop so I can get outside and shoot again!

If its 55# at 32" what do you think it would be at 27.5?? Thanks.

· Registered
1,760 Posts
oh baby!!!!

Way to go!! nice shooting. I might of been one of those"over bowed posters" and still am. Keep attention to any discomfort in you bow elbow and shoulders. I think you will lose or gain 3-4# for each in. of DL. shooting is fun ain't it. - Steve

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No hard feelings bout the overbowed post if you were one of em. I couldnt believe my accuracy with a bow that I just held for the first time today. I missed the target completly about a half dozen times and then I just thought "shoot as if it was a carp" So I looked at the 3 inch dot, kept my eye on it through the entire draw process, and as soon as I hit my usual anchor point I released. I made the entire process one smooth motion without stopping and holding at my anchor point. Not sure if its the correct way but it worked out great.

· saskarcher
5,124 Posts
If your 'archery strength' is up to the task, heavier bows can sometimes be shoot better than light bows as the string 'rips' off your fingers..
just try not to get into a short draw scenario ;)

· Registered
22,135 Posts
sman -

Given the stacking potential of those bows, and if it were indeed marked 55#@ 32" (I've never seen a NS marked at 32" and would really be surprised if Browning would mark one as such), it will be between 40 and 43# @ 27.5" (possibly less).

IF the bow didn't stack, it would gain ot loose 2.75#/inch, 2.75 x 4.5" = 12.375#.

You'd still have to weigh it to be sure, again, seriously doubt that bow will have a linear draw-force curve to 32".

Viper1 out.

· Premium Member
5,344 Posts
The only accurate way to know what the draw weight is at a particular draw length is to put it on a scale (an accurate one).

Some bows have more pre-load than others. Some stack faster than others. Some don't have a linear draw-force curve. Etc. etc. etc.

Draw weight "formulas" are just as much "hit or miss" as draw length "formulas". They might work for some, but they can also be way off on others. Might sound good, but pretty much useless if you really want an accurate reading.

Chad

· Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea in that pic its clearly a 52 below the 55#. Im sure its a 5 now instead of a 3 but when you hold the bow in your hand and look at it the 5 looks like a 3. I didnt look and compare the pics to what I see on the bow. Thanks Hawkmoon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.