Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya ever wonder why its different from one animal spieces to another. Think about it, Deer type species we all strive for the heart and lungs. As for a Turkey, shot placement is in the head why is that ? Turkeys have lungs and a heart right ?
What about ducks and geese are not the shots taken when you lead the duck or geese , this also places the shot at the head or close to it. How about rabbits , when a rabbit takes off in front of you and is running straight away do you not take that shot. Its not like you are focused right on lungs and the heart really are you ? So why is it that a lung or heart shot on a big game animal is more important than that of smaller game. Sooooo why is this ?

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
because big game animals are amazing creatures and wondefully adept to survival. They can get shot below the jaw bone and through the nose and still survive.

In my opinion, the head shot just isn't as big of a kill zone.

Also, I don't shoot at turkey's heads. I shoot at their body also.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
I've only taken 7 turkey's with a bow....and all the shots were broadside or frontal using muzzy bh's.....and i never lost a bird....had to run a couple down...but never lost one.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
because big game animals are amazing creatures and wondefully adept to survival. They can get shot below the jaw bone and through the nose and still survive.

In my opinion, the head shot just isn't as big of a kill zone.

Also, I don't shoot at turkey's heads. I shoot at their body also.

But is it true that a head shot on a turkey is taken more than a body shot ?

I guess I could say this stands true more for the gun hunter also , right ?

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
Ya ever wonder why its different from one animal spieces to another. Think about it, Deer type species we all strive for the heart and lungs. As for a Turkey, shot placement is in the head why is that ? Turkeys have lungs and a heart right ?
What about ducks and geese are not the shots taken when you lead the duck or geese , this also places the shot at the head or close to it. How about rabbits , when a rabbit takes off in front of you and is running straight away do you not take that shot. Its not like you are focused right on lungs and the heart really are you ? So why is it that a lung or heart shot on a big game animal is more important than that of smaller game. Sooooo why is this ?

Crazy Wolf.
I think it's because whether we want to admit it or not.....we put a priority and higher value on some animals than others.

I think it is apparent in tracking as well. Often times we see stories on here where guys tracked for days for wounded whitetail. I don't think for a second the same effort would be given for a squirrel or coyote.

The turkey neck shot is a funny one. We have these unwritten rules that you don't neck or head shoot a deer. Heck, the deers brain is 4 times wider than a turkeys neck!:wink:
And for some reason the turkey neck shot is the chosen shot for many hunters.

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong.....it's just quite interesting....and a lot of the reason I try not to judge anyone for their choice of shot.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts

Crazy Wolf.
U shoot a turkey in the head/neck with a shotgun so you don't have to pick all the bb's out of it and ruin the good meat.:wink:....and the fact that you'll drop him faster than hitting him in the body.I've seen a lot of turkey hunting movies and yet to see where someone took a head/neck shot with a bow.

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
U shoot a turkey in the head/neck with a shotgun so you don't have to pick all the bb's out of it and ruin the good meat.:wink:....and the fact that you'll drop him faster than hitting him in the body.I've seen a lot of turkey hunting movies and yet to see where someone took a head/neck shot with a bow.
You haven't seen any of the gobbler guitine videos in action???? Your missing out!:darkbeer:

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Not with archery equipment...

The reason that gun hunters shoots the head and not the body shot is the pellets have a tough time getting through the feather/wings of a turkey to hit the vitals.

A flying waterfowl, especially a decoyed one locked in, has the underside wide open. This efetahers are not b near as protective as teh wings. Water fowl sitting on the water are really harder to kill since they have the wings somewhat protecting the vitals.

IMO...

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's because whether we want to admit it or not.....we put a priority and higher value on some animals than others.

I think it is apparent in tracking as well. Often times we see stories on here where guys tracked for days for wounded whitetail. I don't think for a second the same effort would be given for a squirrel or coyote.

The turkey neck shot is a funny one. We have these unwritten rules that you don't neck or head shoot a deer. Heck, the deers brain is 4 times wider than a turkeys neck!:wink:
And for some reason the turkey neck shot is the chosen shot for many hunters.

I'm not saying any of this is right or wrong.....it's just quite interesting....and a lot of the reason I try not to judge anyone for their choice of shot.

These are all very good points. I just wonder how many hunters really take the time to ask them selves this type of question ? Just never really concidered it maybe ? , I really dont know !

Crazy Wolf.

Crazy Wolf.

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have got to be kidding me. Did someone really post this? Wow? Thats all I can say. This is probably the most ignorant post I have ever read. Thats enough said

What do you mean some one ? , I think thats a ignorant question. You know who asked it.

I see nothing ignorant about it.

Crazy Wolf.

·
In 'Da Head
24,266 Posts
All animals were not created equal. I pin up on a rabbit with a small game head and the rabbit's head looks about as big as the proverbial boiler room...I know if I slam that SGH into his squash or his ribcage he's going to go down...unfortunately a body shot may allow him enough time to go down the nearest hole and then no recovery. You take the highest percentage shot you can and I can say I've never had a head shot turkey take off after being shot. If you hit the head on a turkey, it's lights out. If you miss, then it's a clean miss. A head shot on a whitetail is not a high percentage shot, so most don't take it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Check out Drury Outdoors Longbeard Madness 12... its back in the Hoyt days :mg: but I'm not gonna hold it against them :wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
So I know I may get warned or kicked off this site but dumb people like you make me not want to get on here anyway. If you shoot a deer in places other than the lungs and heart they may not die and you won't find them. Shoot a rabbit in the ass and it will die and you will most likely find it. Big game is bigger hence the name. They are also tougher. So like I said only a stupid person would have made this thread.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
You haven't seen any of the gobbler guitine videos in action???? Your missing out!:darkbeer:
Nope...i've read where people have talked about them,but never seen one.Most of the ones i've seen on the OD channel is a arse or broadside shot.

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
i have hunted deer some and turkey alot all with a gun, , , i am starting with a bow this year and the hea shot on a turk is one out of my league, and two i would not unless with the guittine, which i dont shoot. . . i will be aiming for the hip joint and slightly above to the front, reason . . . th vitals on a bird are lower one, and two if i break the hip joint i have done my job. . . why you ask when people shoot them high in the body lets say in the breast they usually fly away from what i have guided and seen on video. . a turk has to jump to fly take out is powerful legs and possibly his vitals in one pass. . . that is my vote i can chase down a wounded turk alot better than a flying one. .

·
Registered
14,752 Posts
you have got to be kidding me. Did someone really post this? Wow? Thats all I can say. This is probably the most ignorant post I have ever read. Thats enough said
I disagree. It's something that should be discussed and can make for some interesting discussion.

If this is the most ignorant post then you've missed out on a whole lot!!!!!:mg:

Doc, you bring up some good points but I'll pose this question too you. Do you think "everyone" should view a deer as a superior animal to say a rabbit? I would have to honestly say I hold the deer to a higher standard then pretty most any other animal I've ever hunted.

I do know rabbit hunters though that would probably think differently. They aren't bowhunters either though(not sure if that matters though).

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
we've got a rookie AT'er fellas!

give him a little slack for not being familiar with this site.

I would think the point behind is post is to create a discussion on shot selection.

And dude, after four years on here, your post is the most rudest and ridiculous I've ever read.

Archers helping archers! REMEMBER THAT!

So I know I may get warned or kicked off this site but dumb people like you make me not want to get on here anyway. If you shoot a deer in places other than the lungs and heart they may not die and you won't find them. Shoot a rabbit in the ass and it will die and you will most likely find it. Big game is bigger hence the name. They are also tougher. So like I said only a stupid person would have made this thread.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Check out Drury Outdoors Longbeard Madness 12... its back in the Hoyt days :mg: but I'm not gonna hold it against them :wink:
I never was a fan of dury outdoors.....but don't hold it againest me.:wink:

·
Registered
159 Posts
i just get tired of stupid post.. If he would have said why do we shoot turkeys in the head it would have been fine. But he asked why we shoot big game in the lungs and dont make sure we hit the lungs of animals like rabbits. I mean seriously comparing a deer and a rabit. Thats pretty stupid.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.