Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can any one here explainto me " Shot Placement"

How can you be sure of making Exact Shot placement all the time on deer and wild game?

I hear that some heads are superior when you make and have good shot placement.

I here this all the time here on AT

When I was a young man ( I am now old and grey now) Fred Bear had me up to his all wooden hand build home n Grayling Michjigan in in 1964 for Christmas Eve Dinnerr with his wife Henrietta

I was telling Fred all about shot placement

She smiled listened and told me

"Tink you can never be sure about shot placement"

he told me he shot 3 Whitetail Bucks on one side and the bucks switched ends and the arrows hit the bucks on the other side of the deers body from what he aimed.

I hear so much about shot placement

But how does one Guarantee it on wild game?

300 FPS Bow Speed?
Carbon arrows?
Expanding heads that never fail?
No flames just good bow talk OK?

TINK:D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Tink..IMHO... I don't know!! We just have to be the best we can be and make sure our equipment is tuned and balanced properly! Many years ago when I got my first compound bow I thought I had it all together with that bow...opening morning of bow season I had a little buck walk within 12 yds of me and look the other way..just like I dreamed he would... I slowly pulled, lined everthing up and released!!! What the????How did that happen!!!!! I shot at his right side vital area and stuck him in his left hip. He was headed back the same way he came in!! Well that deer got his first lesson in bowhunting 101!!! Never had it happen since... but who knows for sure what will happen out in the woods....so I still don't know!

·
Registered
518 Posts
By taking shots at calm animals who don't have a clue what's about to happen.If a deer is alert because they saw you or smelled you maybe,all bets are off.I've never had a calm deer "jump the string".Be good enough with your equipment to put em in the ten ring and 99.9% of the time they never now what hit em.

CB

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ide have to say,By only taking high precentage shot's,toi begin with,and practicing with the equipment,that you will be taking to the field,untill it becomes second nature,from every concievable position.Throw into the mix,Super Sharp Broadhead's,and a health dose of GOD"s will,and let the shot happen,with no peeking.After all is said and done,Wounding Loss,is something that is going to happen to everyone,no matter how good they are.The only thing that we as hunters can do,is to limit this precentage,through practice.Those that claim to have never Wounded or Loss a game animal,by wounding loss,Dont hunt very much,or are Great Poker Players.JMO!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You can't thats why you need to use the best most reliable equipment you can and only take shots that put the odds in your favor.

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Five SHot got it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Five Shot You got it

There is no such thing as perfect shot placement

Unless the critter had a Big ring thru its nose, is tied to a tree ,and you have tight straps on all four legs...tied to 4 more trees.....

Then the critter might stand stock still and you can do your SHOT PLACEMENT number on him

But Look on the range at al lthe arrows that miss the five spot at 25 and 30 yards common bow deer range

Not talking about the 3-D Pros but the average bowhunter you start to see as fall comes closer

Here is where the Argument for SHOT PLACEMENT falls apart at the seams

"these "X"broadheads work great with Good Shot Placement"

no one can guarantee Good shot Placement on wild game inthe field

See, ther is no such thing as SHOT PLACEMENT on a a wild animal that might jump, bolt, duck, dive, Jerk, spin, twist, run and maybe shout as well

Perfect Shot placement is like the Perfect Woman.............

Fred Bear Told me
"Tink There is no Such thing as Shot Placement on wild animals"

Tink

:cool:

·
Registered
293 Posts
Last year on opening bow season I shot a deer at 20 yards It looked like a perfect shot to me I waited for about 30 min and got down to look for my deer found blood and followed it for about 40 Yards and lost it. Called in help (KILDOG) and we looked for about a half a day found blood all over a big rock and then found no more we tried everthing but to no avil..............sorry.........I just hate to lose one like that.....again the shot placement looked perfect to me and I have replayed it hundreds of times........It is not sometimes what it seems.............:(

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bill you proved my Point the hard way

Sorry about that lost deer but you made my point
Sir the hard way

Thanks Sir

TINK

:eek:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Tink, I guess shot placement means different thing to different people. To me it means doing everything in my power to place the shot where it needs to go in order to produce the desired effect.
I am always aware that there are factors of every shot that I cannot control. I seek to make the most of what is in my control. Such as practice shooting from different positions, sitting, kneeling, standing on uneven ground, with heavy hunting gear, with warm weather gear etc…. I try to aim for not only where I want my projectile to enter the game but also where I want it to exit. I think this is one of the most important aspects to shot placement. I cannot control what the animal will do after I have launched my projectile, but I can control every aspect of my actions. To me that is Shot Placement….

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I beleive that is all we can do Javi....then like the situation of olddogs..even when its right sometimes things go wrong....we looked everywhere for that deer and the way it was bleeding when we found blood i would not have guessed it would have went 40 yds but it did and we covered at least a mile long and a half mile wide...but we never found it!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The last two deer I shot had very good shot placement allowing me to recover the deer at a short distance. However, the previous two shots were considered perfect shots slightly downward at a quartering away shot on an 8 pointer at 14 yards and slight quartering away shot on a doe at 25 yards. I found the arrow on the buck and still lost him. I was sick about it. I wouldn't have done anything different on that shot. The doe was a lost cause, but I did find my arrow where it passed through. It is tough to do a good shot and loose one. It is hard to blame yourself, but I believe I took a very good shot and would do it again. Shot Placement can be an illusion.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
What I'm saying is that if you do everything you can to place the shot correctly, that is shot placement. What happens after you release the shot, falls under SH.... You never want it to happen but if you shoot enough times at game it will. Anyone that tells you they never miss is full of it..... Like I said I try to control what I can, I use the best equipment for the job at hand, I practice, practice, and practice shooting at all ranges and all situations I feel may come up during a hunt. I have done all in my power to place the shot correctly. The rest is up to the Gods of the Hunt....

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
To me the best shot placement is putting my broadhead thru the lungs or heart.....Like said sometimes you fall short of the best hit,no one here is a machine.

Take the best shot possible,and hope your arrow finds the vitals.....What else can you do?:)

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
tink i am not a ph but i do try to learn where the right place to make the best shot is located on the animal i am trying to shoot. or should i say in my opinion where it should be. but like anything else if you shoot long enough you will find that the right placement may not be the right placement for a quick and humane kill. i guess i would say the one that does bring down the animal fast but i do study thevital organs of each animal and try to make the shot in the right position that i feel is the going to get the maximum effect
rob k

·
74,535 Posts
Shot placement

Its not where you hit but knowing where to hit a deer or animal for best kill.

Nobodys going to make perfect shot but atleast you should be able to make good effort to be able to make the shot.

I can say this, I do pick small spot and shoot at it and not the animal.

I usally take double lung shot. Seem to drop faster for me. They cant breath long without lungs.

Good shot placement is the most inportant part or else you wound animal.

·
Registered
852 Posts
To me, proper shot placement means making a strong enough shot that the arrow passes through 2 or more vitals - preferrably both lungs... I have never had a deer that has been hit through both lungs travel more than 50 yards before expiring - usually less, in fact... I spend all summer long practicing at 40, 50, and sometimes 60 yards, and shoot plenty of 3D - at Open Class/ Men's Unlimited - where 45 to 50 yard shoots are common - and after all that practice hitting a 10 ring on a McKensie, a 25 yard shot on a whitetail is a slam dunk - provided that my hunting gear is accurate enough... I will not take an iffy shot at a deer, period... Now I agree that while hunting, sometimes "stuff happens", but I'm hearing a whole lot different tone than I was a short time ago - before it was "fixed blades ALWAYS put 'em down" - now it's practically "well, most of the time, unless something unexplainable happens".. No flame intended, but sorry gents - I don't get that... Last hunting season, I took 9 deer with the bow, and watched 8 of them fall over - the only one I didn't watch fall, ran inside of a woodline - but only went 25 yards inside of it before crashing - I guess you could call THAT proper shot placement - I know I sure would!!! After practicing at twice my normal hunting distance all summer long, I know without a doubt that if I make a good shot on a relaxed deer, I'm in for an easy recovery... I don't think it should be asking too much of an experienced bowhunter, having practiced diligently all summer long, to know WITH CERTAINTY, where his arrow is going to hit on a target as large as a whitetail deer - given that he exercises a little restraint in his shot selection... I'm not going to say I've never lost a deer, but I haven't in over 4 years - and believe me, PLENTY have been taken during that time... I sometimes help local farming operations cull deer by filling nuisance permits, so I get to shoot a fair amount of deer - when I get a good shot angle(broadside or quartering away) on a relaxed deer at 25 yards and in, it's pretty much a done deal... Seems to me, that although I would never do such a thing, a person could punch a target tipped arrow through both lungs of a relaxed deer, and still recover it within 100 yards - so, assuming that, I'll take the most accurate flying broadhead over one that will "smash bones" when it comes to hunting whitetails - although I'd like to note that my choice of broadheads for deer(Rocket Steelheads) is VERY capable of breaking bones, given the amount of KE my hunting rig carries.... If I'm not 100% confident of a quick recovery, then I don't take the shot - plain and simple... Lastly, with a fast(285+ fps) hunting set-up, that's still fairly quiet, I don't believe that a relaxed deer is capable of "jumping the string" inside of 25 yards - JMHO...

- georgestrings

·
Registered
11,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good Post

Good Post well done

Good example for other TINK

·
Registered
14,403 Posts
There IS such a thing as perfect shot placement.
There is just no such thing as a guaranteed kill, even WITH perfect shot placement.

Perfect shot placement and quality gear will get the job done 90% of the time. The other 10% you need a little luck. Bowhunting isn't a science, its an art!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I agree. There is a such thng as perfect shot placement, just no gaurantee that it will work every time. If a braodhead tipped arrow goes thru both lungs, the animal is done for and will be down very quick. An arrow thru the heart, and the animal is done for. BUT, shooting conditions in the wild are different than shooting conditions on the 3D range and the back yard. There are no gaurantees in the field. KNOW your limits as far as range goes and being able to put the arrow into the spot you want it in, if the animal is further, DON"T shoot. Know your equipments limits
and use it accordingly. I practice a lot at 50 and 60 yards too, but in the field, you do not have those clean shooting lanes like you do in the yard or 3D range, something can always interfere with these long shots unless in an open field. In the field, you do not have that relaxed and perfect shooting position at all times, may be shooting while squating slightly, turned more, up or down
hill angles, and from eleveated positions, none similar to practice
sessions in the yard or range. And the addrenlin flow is not there while precticing either, which adds to the emotions and takes away from the perfect shot

1 - 20 of 23 Posts