Archery Talk Forum banner

Should 3D and hunting arrows be the same or different?

1219 Views 17 Replies 17 Participants Last post by  Bowdon
I use my same arrows for hunting as I do for 3D (GT XT Hunters 380gr.). I was wondering if others use different 3D arrows from their hunting arrows and if so what are they and why?
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
552 Posts
Most guys that shoot the Hunter classes in 3D shoot their same setups but when you get into the open classes they shoot much different setups than when they hunt. If you are using 3D to help with hunting season then I would say stay in the hunter class and use the same equipment, minus the broad heads of course :)

· Registered
2,919 Posts
it depends on how you look at 3D -- some see it as hunting practice, some see it as a form of target archery

if you see it as hunting practice, of course you use your exact hunting setup, arrows with big vanes and all; you probably even go so far as to put your quiver on your bow and load it with arrows (except take one out because that's the one you are using on the all important first shot)

if you see it as target archery, you use a target bow (scope, long stabilizer, maybe a bright shiny target finish, etc.) and you use very light and/or big diameter arrows with small vanes -- too get flat trajectory and/or line cutting ability, since penetration does not matter

· Registered
4,587 Posts
I use my same arrows for hunting as I do for 3D (GT XT Hunters 380gr.). I was wondering if others use different 3D arrows from their hunting arrows and if so what are they and why?
That's up to you. I shot pins two years ago with an Apex 7 and Easton Fatboy arrows. Neither of which would ever go in the woods with me (even though the Apex7 is black with camo limbs.) Either way is okay.

· Banned
18,714 Posts
Depends. When I use my hunting bow for 3D, I use the same arrows as I do for hunting and those are Goldtip 75/95's.....now with the other bow, I use the lighter/fatter Speed 23's........

· Registered
2,289 Posts
Your arrow goes with the bow not what your doing with it!! you could use different arrows, you would have to re-sight every time you change, right??? Use what ever you shoot!!!
Most people who shoot different arrows shoot different bows!! I have 2 bows, same kind of bow different set-up, different arrow!!! lighter faster for 3D...I could use either bow for either application, but I choose speed for 3D and KE(weight) for hunting!!

· Registered
14 Posts
I shoot the same bow, different arrows. It's not that hard to sight it in before the respective season. I like shooting 15-20fps quicker at the 3D shoots (I'm a LOT more consistent) and I shoot CXL250s with a fixed tip (292grain). For hunting, it's a matter of moving the sight down and takes all but 10 minutes (if that). I shoot CX200s (338grain).

Eventually, I will get a 2nd bow but since it's so easy to re-sight (not to mention cheaper) I just save the extra $500 I would have blown on another bow. Shooting the same bow year round is probably less harmful than switching bows around and re-establishing comfort zones. It's arguable and probably not worth an argument. Just comes down to personal preference. But in no way would I say arrows SHOULD be different. It's a proven fact better velocity = better accuracy....at least in my own experience. You cant increase your draw length and your bow only turns up so much. The 3rd element to speed is in the weight, which you CAN control and most people, like myself, prefer a lighter arrow not to mention a fatter shaft. ;)

· Registered
697 Posts
same weight arrows for hunting and 3d

why yes I do but I went the other way, rather than trying shoot 3d with a heavy hunting arrow I use my 3d arrows. 250 maximas at 315 grains (85 grn heads) shoot the best in my 63 #, vulan, havotec, and now am32. when I go out into the field it will be with a 85 grn mechanical. While I might have to do minnimal tuning, drop will be the same and one you have gone through the animal, penetration just means deeper into the tree behind it.

· Registered
4,813 Posts
What I hunt with is exactly the same thing I shoot for targets. I shoot targets to practice for hunting thats why I shot the same thing.

· Banned
8,425 Posts
I now use different bows for hunting and 3d. Also different arrows but to me it's all practice for hunting. When the season rolls around I shoot my hunting bows in and all that practice shooting 3d makes my practice that much easier even though i'm shooting different bows and arrows.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
I use a heavy arrow for close shots and a lighter arrow for medium shots and a real light arrow for long shots so I don't haft to change my sights. "Just kidding" I use fat boys for 3D's line cutters at 340 gr. 65 lbs and for hunting I use Axis at 419 gr, 70 lbs and small diameter for penetration on game.

· Smilin' Bob
25,079 Posts
Different for me. :)

· Banned
360 Posts
I use my big fat heavy slow aluminums for both 3D and hunting. Alot of KE for hunting and the big diameter has cut a few lines for me on the 3D course. I shoot barebow too so I can't really change a whole lot without messing up my internal "sights"

· Registered
641 Posts
I have a target bow setup and my hunting bow setup. I prefer to hunt with a bit heavier arrow and fixed blade broadheads. The hunter is a lighter physical wt bow, but higher draw wt. With my 3d bow I use a lighter arrow for speed, but also want a lower poundage draw wt bow for longer target sessions. And heavier physical wt for holding still on targets. Well, thats the theory anyway. So, 2 bows makes sense to me. My friend uses the same bow with 2different sights. One sight setup for his X cutters, one sight setup for use with a heavier hunting shaft.

· Registered
1,864 Posts
I shoot 3d's with the hole ball and wax, but it's Hunting practice for me no matter what I shoot. If I can get a 4 power dot to hold on the spot just think how easy at pin will be to hold. I learn to look at some thing and know the yardage and competing I learn good form, dealing with pressure and the hows of making a good shot and what I can do and what I can't do. I shoot my hunting bow a lot easyer after the 3D season. I have hunted a lot with guys that say they are bowhunters and not target are 3D shooters. After hunting with them they are not a great bowhunters ether. They just don't shoot target are 3Ds because every one sees how bad of a shot they are too and way they kill there deer ever year buy hitting it in the butt, neck are the leg.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.