Votes: 71 19.6%
  • No.

Votes: 291 80.4%
1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading a lot on AT and some other internet sites about fatalities/serious injury due to a hunter falling out of the stand b/c they did not have a harness/lap belt. I hunt the Pee Dee Wildlife Refuge and their book that you have to sign and have on you when hunting states you have to have a harness or lap belt when hunting from an elevated position. I have always been big on a full body harness b/c with my birth defect I might be hanging in the air for a while until somebody can come and help me if I fell out of or lost my stand (most likely a climber). So what do you guys/gals think. Should a harness or at least a lap belt be required by law when hunting from an elevated position?

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Should a harness or at least a lap belt be required by law when hunting from an elevated position?
You should make it a poll.

I would vote "no" even though I always wear one.

My state requires seatbelts for drivers, helmets for motorcycle and bicycle riders, etc. Do we really need more laws?
I would rather see them outlaw smoking before requring harnesses for treestand users.

Ray

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should make it a poll.

I would vote "no" even though I always wear one.

My state requires seatbelts for drivers, helmets for motorcycle and bicycle riders, etc. Do we really need more laws?
I would rather see them outlaw smoking before requring harnesses for treestand users.

Ray
I respect your opinion and all of those that respond, but could you please explain your reasoning (I also hope that all those that partake will also provide a reasoning). We have to wear a seat belt while driving a car or will be fined so why should hunting regulations do something to make preventable injuries less of a common occurrence? Let's not get ugly, keep your comments respectful and civilized.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it should be a law the amount of resources it takes to get someone out of the woods when a fall occurs is a lot. I feel a person owes it to his family and his community to do the right thing. They are not expensive and usually come with a treestand. I feel it's just laziness I put one on everytime I'm in my stand If I don't have it I won't hunt. I support my wife and kids the last thing I want to do is become a burden to them emotionally and financially!

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
There are people who still believe we should be free to make our own decisions and to make our own mistakes.

Others believe government should tell us how to do everything from cradle to grave. I happen to live in a state, California, where many believe this way.

Is there a huge problem of people falling from treestands and becoming a burden on our society?

Finally as we make more and more laws, many folks develop contempt for the law. It is illegal to text while driving and illegal to use a cell phone against your ear while driving in Califorina. Do you think people obey these laws? No. I see people breaking them every few minutes of every day I drive.

We have speed limits on our freeways. Most are 65MPH. How fast do you think the flow of traffic is on the typical southern California freeway? If you are going less than 75 people will be honking at you and the flow is closer to 80MPH. Few cars are going less than 75 except maybe at night when it is dark. And the super speeders zip by at 95MPH or more!

Those "free" harnesses that come with treestands are junk and that is a big part of why people don't use them. If they were decent to don and doff and they were comfortable to wear, more people would wear them voluntarily.

Ray

·
Registered
904 Posts
I voted no.We have more important things to deal with in this country than if I'm wearing my harness or seatbelt for that matter.I dont mean to sound negative but Im really getting sick of people trying to tell me how to live my life when it doesnt put anyone else in harms way.you can get killed walking in an open field durring a thunderstorm.Just cheap ways to make money.Sorry for the rant :darkbeer:

·
Live with passion
7,328 Posts
I wear mine, but voted no. to much big brother for me.
Yep. . . the government has no right making these decisions for us. I disagree with helmet laws also. I would wear one, but why should the government be able to tell you that you have to. The only one you would be hurting is yourself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Always wear one but vote no on law. How would you ever enforce it except after the fact? I can just see a nice opportunity presenting itself on a game animal and her comes LE to check harnesses? No thanks.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I too always wear one but I think the government has plenty of more important things to worry about than our decision to where a harness.

"Keep em out of as much as you can because their sure to screw it up" is my motto...

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Here's how I imagined it... I've been hunting this nice 16 point for years...Finally I get my chance...out comes ol stickers.He starts coming right into my lane!...I start to draw & all of a sudden he just bolts...It was the warden again, just making sure I had my harness on!

I wear one & voted NO. Wardens have enough to do (& under budgeted) then run around checking to see who's wearing a harness.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think it should be a law the amount of resources it takes to get someone out of the woods when a fall occurs is a lot. I feel a person owes it to his family and his community to do the right thing. They are not expensive and usually come with a treestand. I feel it's just laziness I put one on everytime I'm in my stand If I don't have it I won't hunt. I support my wife and kids the last thing I want to do is become a burden to them emotionally and financially!
I agree! My thoughts exactly! you said it before i could. A guy i work with his brother fell out of his stand three years ago.Broke his neck,and died instantly. Wife,kids,and grandchildren he left them right,then and there.

·
Banned
19,441 Posts
100% no. If it was I suppose you'd have to fine a kid just climbing a tree for fun too. We already have too many laws.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I voted no.But I wear one.That just gives the gov. more reasons to give you a ticket.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i vote no. survival of the fittest, right?:darkbeer: ha all jokes aside, i dont want "the man" to have more control over me than he already does.:wink:

·
Registered
95 Posts
YES.... its just like a seat belt .... no one likes them but its for their own good ...i rather fall 3 feet than 25 feet ..im sure your all careful but it happens. if anyone in here has fallen off a stand i bet they felt dumb ... and tell you the truth ... i wouldnt want my grand kids to ask grandma ... grandma how did granpa died??? what is she gonna say ... HE FELL OFF A TREE ......

·
Registered
276 Posts
I voted no. We don't need more laws in this country.The GOV. already tells us enough.Make wearing a safety harness a law and next you have the GOV. telling you what kind bow you can shoot and what arrow's and so on.My 2 cents.

·
Hucklebuck’s
13,998 Posts
no no no I voted no it depends on the stand somtimes i wear one somtimes no
but no mater what the rope or belt hinders movement. in my summit climber I never wear one what you gonna due if you lose your stand dangle there and freez to death or somthing. if you can fall out of that stand your pretty good.
now hang ons i wear one. and what about built stands closed in.

1 - 20 of 129 Posts