Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well instead of mowing the lawn, I just had to take care of this!

My BowTech stock string was getting frayed and worn. I guess I need to stop shooting it so much.

So I want you all to know that I ordered a New Trophy String & Cable set from BaldyHunter last a week on Friday or Saturday, and he built it over the weekend & shipped it Monday. I received Wed evening. WOW! Great shipping Baldy!

It’s 20 strands on the string and 24 strands on the cables.

Here's the results of the string replacement:

Prior to changing my string, I chronied my arrows which avg around 423gr (+/- 1 gr), bow set at 30dl, 64.5lb……. 305-307 fps.

Then I chronied the arrows after putting it on friday, prior to doing any tuning/twisting/adjusting. All I did was put the string on and shoot it a few times. It was right at 32 3/8” ATA, and the timing marks were just outside the cables. …..303fps :confused:

Then I timed it friday and made a few yoke adjustements, and got the timing marks in the correct locations. When I was done, the ATA was approx 32 5/16”. Then today (saturday) I did some more paper/yoke tuning...got the arrow at centerline, shoots bareshaft bullets (when I hold bow correctly that is) at the same spot as my fletched arrows at 20yds...........keep reading.............310 to 313 fps.:smile:

Now it's time to kick some but next weekend at Camp Sherman 3D shoot!

Thanks Baldy…you did me a solid!

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look closely, the bow is outside hanging on a nail. There is a white wooden beam which supports my awning. You are looking at my back yard , and you can see my home-made paper tuner next to the shed. I'm actually standing on the back deck under the awning when taking this pic.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Wow

Holy Smokes. I never knew people got so excited over 10FPS, especially after they hit that magic #300. Congratulations. But to me, what is really awesome is that picture. Was that intentionally done?

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shucks...a million comedians out of a job, and you guys hogging all the jokes!

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Altogether it took me about 4-5 hours, but then I'm not experienced at it. I learned how to do this from talking to folks on AT, especially Baldyhunter.

But you definitely need a press, and it helps greatly to have a draw board.

Once you get the Cam timing marks so your cables fall within the dots, then you put the bow on the draw board and see if the top & bottom stops hit the cables at the same time when at full draw. You could probably get a friend to spot check this if you didn't have a draw board.

Once you get everything timed, your dropaway rest tie off point tied off, D-Loop installed, Peep sight in place, then you're ready to paper/yoke tune.

That part is described better in BaldyHunter's write-up Destroyer 350...tuned to Perfection.

Hope that answer's it for you. I'm mainly posting this, because I thought it was interesting to me the speed increase from a little tuning. And also of course, to show off Baldyhunter's strings!

(OH YEAH, I ALSO WANTED MY WIFE TO KNOW I FEEL BAD ABOUT NOT MOWING THE LAWN!)

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ha! I mowed the lawn anyways. Here's a pic of my bow (upside down) from another angle and my lawn (mowed - right side up).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
From thew look on Tozer's face, I don't think he approves of your color selection. May have to start over cuz we all know Tozer knows best!!!

Good looking rig and we have already seen that it will shoot. Congrats. It is very rewarding doing your own work isn't it~!

Marc:darkbeer::smile::darkbeer:

·
Banned
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From thew look on Tozer's face, I don't think he approves of your color selection. May have to start over cuz we all know Tozer knows best!!!

Good looking rig and we have already seen that it will shoot. Congrats. It is very rewarding doing your own work isn't it~!

Marc:darkbeer::smile::darkbeer:
Well I'll have you know that everytime I pick that bow up, Tozer starts prancing around, cuz he knows he gets to run around on the trails with me. So I had to tell him to stay while taking the pics, otherwise he'd be estatic. That's his obedience mode face! :teeth:

BTW, that TROPHY string was $20 less than what BT charges for standard $452X string. The TROPHY string was expected to have a slight speed drop, but that's not what I got after tuning. The ATA being 1/16 short, is to acccount for any possible string break-in which should be minimal.

Also, I'm still working the peep in, but the rotation doesn't seem too bad. Very little string rotation when drawing back.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Well I'll have you know that everytime I pick that bow up, Tozer starts prancing around, cuz he knows he gets to run around on the trails with me. So I had to tell him to stay while taking the pics, otherwise he'd be estatic. That's his obedience mode face! :teeth:

BTW, that TROPHY string was $20 less than what BT charges for standard $452X string. The TROPHY string was expected to have a slight speed drop, but that's not what I got after tuning. The ATA being 1/16 short, is to acccount for any possible string break-in which should be minimal.

Also, I'm still working the peep in, but the rotation doesn't seem too bad. Very little string rotation when drawing back.
Nice Strings!! LOL

Looks like one more turn out of the top cam (maybe even 1/2) and that peep should line up about perfect and all specs should remain spot on:wink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts