Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although relatively new to archery and bow hunting, I thoroughly enjoy it, shoot every week, and believe my two boys of 9 and 6 will as well for many years to come. Being a twice convicted felon I can only bow hunt until the year 2020, so I am in it for the long haul. I am a 40 minute drive to the nearest archery shop and do not have much confidence in those guys. Should I invest in a bow press and learn how to do my own tuning, maintenance, etc? What would it cost to get set up to where I can be pretty self sufficient without having to rely on a bow shop? Is it difficult to do? How do you learn how to do it without anyone teaching you? Is there a book on it or just use Youtube? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
You will only benefit from doing your own work. little by little you can pick things up and learn. This site has many good post on learning and tips.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you are willing to learn, patient with an attention to detail I'd say go for it. Nothing more rewarding than doing your own work on anything. It can be a costly venture to get everything you need such as bow press, vice, and tools but if your crafty you can hit the DIY section and build all this stuff.
It's a lot of fun doing your own work and if you don't have confidence in your local shop than its time for you to learn.
Good luck.
Roy

·
Registered
443 Posts
I got my first press last year. Wished I would of got it sooner. It opens doors for lots of simple adj. or peeps or other things you would just live with so you didnt have to bring it in.

I tuned my element for elk last year. It took many a trips to the press but now I have no fear of tuning my bows. Or my kids.

It will save you lots of money if your in it for the long haul.

Get a press!

·
Registered
15,731 Posts
Yes,

Read and ask all questions you can think of. At first it's overwhelming but in no time you'll understand what you are doing.

If you buy a press feel free to contact me if you need any help or guidance.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would say you would benefit from it. I'm in the same position as you, my "local" shop is ~40 minutes away. Between gas money and money for whatever service I need done, I could quickly add it up to the cost of a cheap press and a vise. Not to mention the satisfaction of doing everything myself.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
If you have some mechanical ability I would say go for it. But start with the easy stuff and work your way into it. It will take you a little time to put it all together but personally for me I get a lot of satisfaction from flinging my bare shafts, field points into the same holes at 20 yards after spending somectime tuning my bow.

·
Registered
7,265 Posts
Do all you can for yourself and the youngsters. The proper press is probably cheaper than driving to the shop.

Take it slow and learn as you go. More importantly, make sure the youngsters learn a bit along the way. Not forced feeding, but whatever they have a propensity to learn.

For the sake of the youngsters, please don't bust your probation. My guess is, that by the time you've done your probation, you'll be a committed bowhunter for life. I hope the youngsters will be as well.

Best of luck to you.

8,451 Posts
Absolutely! You will be pleased with your own work guaranteed. Listen and read from the folks here on AT as they have an abundance of knowledge they are willing to share. Doing your own work is very rewarding. Cheers!
Fred

·
Design&Hunt
1,721 Posts
The only thing I haven't done on my own since I've started shooting was a limb swap. Left that up to the local (35 mile) shop ... You'll get a lot more pleasure out of your bow knowing you can do mostly anything you need.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Been at it since March working on getting bows for wife and self, purchasing all the necessary gear for working on the bows, reading for hours all the good posted here, joining a club where members really help, and practicing the sport. Give it your best shot and enjoy as you go. Yes, it's confusing at times, but rewarding most of the time. Making my own home target and paper tuner was a big help. Have fun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, Learn to do it yourself. This site and u-tube are both great places to learn. There's all kinds of info on the web and the convenience and money saved at the local shop will probably pay for the equipment you'll need. I started working on my own stuff when I realized that no one cares about my equipment more then I do.
Good luck

·
Registered
395 Posts
I agree with all the responses so far, I take great satisfaction in knowing that I set up and tuned my own bow, it's also very rewarding to be able to help out a friend in need when they have problems, I enjoy building arrows the most.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Learn to do it yourself. I'm rather new to doing my own stuff as well. I just started about a year ago. I just learned as I went. There are tons of resources on here to get you started and headed into the right direction. Best advice I can give you is take your time and do not get into a rush with the lighter or razor blade. ;) I have had to buy two sets of new strings and cables cause I got into a hurry. Take your time.

·
Making it REIGN
3,794 Posts
I have been trying to learn on my own. Can do quite a bit myself but still take my bow to a trusty friend when I need something major done.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
I agree with the other replies. It definitely makes you a better archer to be able to work on your own equipment. There is a great deal of satisfaction & pride too.

And don't forget building your own strings and arrows. These are as integral to being a self sufficient archer as being able to tune your own bow.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
I used to do it myself, but realized there were people who are a actually gifted at the craft and for far less time and money they can do it for me. Frees me up to shoot far more and enjoy it. When you work on your own bow, you spend far more time tinkering than shooting:) I still tinker win arrows though;-)

1 - 20 of 45 Posts