Archery Talk Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
If you want a flagship bow but don't want to pay full retail price, look at some of the last 2 year models that have been clearanced. I found an Elite Ritual 33 (New in the box) for $525. Half price from last year's retail price. I also found a PSE Evolve 31 for $500 (also new). I have bought several "New"1-2 year old bows for 50% or less than retail. These bows will still shoot as good as the new flagship bows, but will save you some $$$. You can also save a lot of $$$ buying a used sight, quiver, and stabilizers (if needed) in the classifieds and on Ebay. I still buy almost every arrow rest NEW, but sometimes get lucky with a used one. I paid over 2K for one of my Evolve 31's (New with all new accessories) from my local shop. I have another Evolve (bought online at clearance price) with a mixture of used/Ebay new accessories and have less than $750 into it....and it shoots great. I only bowhunt and shoot an occasional 3D, but shoot everyday in my back yard. If I want to buy a new bow straight from the shop, I will. If I can find a bow that I like and get it for 50%, I definitely will. It is safe to buy from the classifieds here on AT IF you check out the seller's feedback, ask lots of questions and request pics, and pay with paypal "goods and services" and NEVER, EVER use the "friends and family" option no matter how good of a deal it may seem.

I’ve been an avid hunter most of my adult life, typically I go after: ducks, deer, rabbit & quail.
After spending a few hours testing pretty much every bow at the sports store. I settled on a Mathews VXR, 31.5, 27”, 70lb draw. (If I’m
Typing this incorrectly please let me know) with all of the add ons the price was over $2k... which is pretty expensive. As a new bow hunter would it be wise to buy a used bow sight unseen?

Any feedback, tips or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks y’all
check ebay for a left over elite for a fraction of the cost, and a warranty.........................no chance I would pay anywhere near that kind of money.........they aren't worth the price tag

I have purchased quite a few used bows off of archerytalk and ebay and haven't had any problems. All great experiences. Depends I guess on whether you want a warranty or not. Last I knew, Mathews warranty only applies to the original registered owner, but you might want to double check as I'm not 100% that is still true. Paypal usually has your back if you receive something other than what is described as long as you pay using the 'Goods and Services' option. I rely on lots of photos from the seller and seller feedback plus rating. I did purchase my Vertix brand new last year and it is nice to have a warranty.

I forgot to mention that if you buy a beyond parallel limb bow, especially one of the newer bows with quad limbs, make sure you have access to an inline press or have a pro shop close by.

I think buying used is fine. Make sure there are lots of pictures and that the bow will fit you (draw length and poundage). I have not bought used, but I have sold 3 nice bows on AT.

I’m about to look for a used bow on here. I bought the VXR and I like it a lot, but after shooting a RX4 again I think I’ll try to find a used one and sell my Mathews. Being left handed does have it’s disadvantages but maybe someone on here has one for sale, or an RX1 or RX3 at least.

I would purchase a bow press first, then build a draw board. There is a lot of set up and maintenance involved is owning a bow and with tools you can purchase used and replace strings and do set up, when you need it. Do you think the bow shops are going to treat you any better if you bring in a used bow you bought on line? Mathews bows are very quiet, but they are heavy and not balanced. You might look at a bow with an adjustable cam like a PSE till you figure out your draw length, it will save you time and money. I also recommend you get a Bitz arrow fletcher, you can try out different fletchings. Buy all your accwssories used, but ones with lifetime warranties like QAD and HHA sights. You will come out way ahead in the long run

Every purchase and i mean EVERY one , I made here the item was in better shape than Expected.
buy from someone that has Many post here and your good. Cant speak to the people that get on make 20 post to sell. I dont buy from them, personal thing just does not feel safe. again PERSONAL thing

and YES save ya at least 40% if not a lot more on a very nice item.

Figure in around $100 for shop labor fees depending on the amount of help you need to get it tuned in and set up. I have around $800 into my tools. Everything from arrow making to string building tools and enough string making materials until I hang up archery.
I'll be looking to upgrade to a pse mach 1 in a few years after they age a bit. That would make my tool costs a wash with that purchase alone.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I just purchased a year old Hoyt RX3 Ultra and saved myself $600 vs a new RX4. But it was still a hard decision because my old bow is fully capable of getting the job done. If you know exactly what you want, try to find used but understand it will take awhile. If you don’t have awhile then bite the bullet, but be sure it’s the one you want and plan to keep.

I just purchased a year old Hoyt RX3 Ultra and saved myself $600 vs a new RX4. But it was still a hard decision because my old bow is fully capable of getting the job done. If you know exactly what you want, try to find used but understand it will take awhile. If you don’t have awhile then bite the bullet, but be sure it’s the one you want and plan to keep.
That is the kind of deal I'm looking for...

Bought a used mathews locally and I have had no regrets at all. You will need to work on it to set it up for yourself so I live the idea of getting some equipment too. Skip the bitz and get an arizona ez fletch if you're going to use blazers. That's just my opinion though.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.