Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
I have only ever shot used bows. I have never paid more than $350 for a bow (usually more like $100) and they all have killed deer. Plus due to the poor secondary market for bows you can probably get a bow similar to what you want but much cheaper.

I’ve never bought a new one. I’m shooting a 2017 newbreed right now I picked up on here for 250$ and it’s a dream to shoot.
I used to get a new used bow every year. I have had this one going into its third season.

After you shoot a pile of bows you realize that you as the Indian puts arrows in the center. Not your 1500$ Mathews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been an avid hunter most of my adult life, typically I go after: ducks, deer, rabbit & quail.
After spending a few hours testing pretty much every bow at the sports store. I settled on a Mathews VXR, 31.5, 27”, 70lb draw. (If I’m
Typing this incorrectly please let me know) with all of the add ons the price was over $2k... which is pretty expensive. As a new bow hunter would it be wise to buy a used bow sight unseen?

Any feedback, tips or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks y’all
I bought a Hoyt Hyperforce with a QAD HDX and a Tight Spot quiver for $600 last spring. Brand new that would've cost me close to $1500. It took my a few months to find the right deal but it can definitely be worth it! I highly suggest buying a used bow, people love to buy the new bow every year, might as well benefit on their addiction.

Buying a used bow is a great option if you (or someone you know) is willing to work on it.... Depending on what you buy, it's usually a good idea to put fresh strings on a used bow... That could run $200 (installed) at a shop.... Some bows require cams be replaced to adjust DL (could be another $160).

I've bought plenty of Used bows from here.... I really got myself in a bit of a money pit when I bought my Hoyt... I had to buy modules and cams to get the bow down to my DL and it needed new strings.... I ended up putting $300 worth of parts/labor into a $400 bow!!!

I've since learned to ask the "right" questions and to do my own work so I don't get caught up like this again....

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.