Archery Talk Forum banner

Should I buy a used bow?

1K views 48 replies 42 participants last post by  Chris1ny 
#1 ·
I’ve been an avid hunter most of my adult life, typically I go after: ducks, deer, rabbit & quail.
After spending a few hours testing pretty much every bow at the sports store. I settled on a Mathews VXR, 31.5, 27”, 70lb draw. (If I’m
Typing this incorrectly please let me know) with all of the add ons the price was over $2k... which is pretty expensive. As a new bow hunter would it be wise to buy a used bow sight unseen?

Any feedback, tips or recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks y’all

#2 ·
I have bought and sold probably 12-15 in the last 10 years......... all used. Look at the feedback and how many translations they have had. ALL of my experiences have been positive.

#8 ·
Of the 6 bows that I have. I bought only one new, the other 5 were used. Of the 5, one was a local deal. The other 4 used bows came from the classifieds here on Archery Talk. Just be sure to talk with the seller on the phone (not text) and do your research.

#10 ·
Alight, so what’s the process for buying a used bow from here? Do you just send the payment VIA paypal and pray that they send you the bow? What happens if someone rips you off? I’ve had good luck buying used stuff from eBay and Im not opposed to buying used online, but it’s a lot of money to send on good faith.

#13 ·
I bought my first bow brand new to establish a relationship with the local archery shop. Plus, I didn't know what they heck I was doing. After that, I have bought 4 other bows used from here. After I buy them, I take them to the archery shop and have them check it out to make sure it has no defects.

Regarding what to do if someone rips you off, I first look at the person's history on this sight. If they have several hundred postings, it means they have been around and are more than likely, trustworthy. If you do get ripped off, you can contact a moderator. But most people here want to keep their reputation intact so I think you will be fine. I only had one issue with a purchase of an accessory and the person made it right by refunding some of the money which was agreed upon.

#14 ·
Paypal for sure, DO NOT use friends or family. you will be fine.

I buy used on here all the time, as mentioned above you can buy a new rig for around half the price that's only a few months old.

#15 ·
I buy used as well. I've shot so many bows over the years the last couple I've purchased I've never even shot. You learn over time which platform behaves this or that way. I usually spend around $400-500 for a used bow every couple years. AT is great for getting a fair shake on used bows.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
I'll just say taking up several hours of a shop's time, and it sounds like you were treated well, then going out to buy the same bow used only to have to take it back to that shop for set up probably isn't the best way of developing a good relationship with that shop...

While I buy most of my bows used, I won't go to the shop first and try out that same bow only to buy elsewhere. And if I take a used bow to the shop, I always try to buy something while I'm there [rest, new arrows, something], and tip very well for their service.

#18 ·
I'll just say taking up several hours of a shop's time, and it sounds like you were treated well, then going out to buy the same bow used only to have to take it back to that shop for set up probably isn't the best way of developing a good relationship with that shop...

While I buy most of my bows used, I won't go to the shop first and try out that same bow only to buy elsewhere. And if I take a used bow to the shop, I always try to buy something while I'm there [rest, new arrows, something], and tip very well for their service.
I agree with you actually. It’s a long story and originally I didn’t feel like typing a novel about how a shop kept telling me the bow I just dropped over 2k on will be ready in 4 days... Over and over and over again.

I’ll keep it short. So I bought a green VXR that they had available in the store, but accessories needed to be installed. I buy pretty much everything this guy recommended (his recommendations for gear matched what I had researched needing). After paying he says,”ok it will be ready in 4days.” I called 5 days later, still not ready it will be 4 more days. For over a month... eventually I said screw it, they don’t deserve my business. So I went in and got a refund on the bow I never got to use. But the guy who helped me was awesome. And you are right he spent hours sizing, explaining everything in detail. Out of respect for that one person I won’t name bash the store on here. But I won’t be going back, and if someone tells me they will do a job in 4 days I expect it done in 4 days. And If they can’t do it in that time (Sick, life, whatever) let me know, I’m reasonable.

After that I started looking for the same bow online and archerytalk kept popping up on my searches. So I figured why not geton here and get some help online.

Sorry for the typos I’m on my phone

#19 ·
Don't think you have to have a 2020 model either. There are lots of fantastic older model bows that shoot as good or better than most of the 2020's. Example: a used 2012 PSE EVO EV or 2013 EVO Max would last you many years and shoot just as accurate and fast as most 2020 models. Or a 2013 Vendetta DC, or a 2015 Bowmadness 32 or 34. Just stay away from the older Bowmadness bows that use the 895 limbs. They are too hard to find if you have a limb crack. The same goes for some of the older Bowtechs that had so many limb problems.

I would also stay away from the draw specific cam bows like the Omen and Full Throttle and stay away from the Modular cam bows since the modules are hard to come by without paying the ridiculous scalpers price, unless you find one that is in your draw length and plan on keeping the bow for a long time since modular bows with hard to find modules are hard to re-sale. But if you find something like a 2013-2017 Darton 3800 that has modules for your draw length on it, or with it, don't hesitate to buy it if it's a good deal. Those are SOLID bows and will last you many years. I don't recommend the newer Darton Maverick unless your draw length is 25" of 26" because the rotating module covers the string post on draw lengths 27" and longer.

Do your homework and find out as much as you can about any bow you are considering. You do NOT want to find out a bow has a reputation for failing limbs AFTER you have purchased it. Don't take just one person's opinion, get lots of opinions and read as many reviews as you can find. I would suggest the same even if you were buying a NEW bow. Good Luck!

#21 ·
If you want a flagship bow but don't want to pay full retail price, look at some of the last 2 year models that have been clearanced. I found an Elite Ritual 33 (New in the box) for $525. Half price from last year's retail price. I also found a PSE Evolve 31 for $500 (also new). I have bought several "New"1-2 year old bows for 50% or less than retail. These bows will still shoot as good as the new flagship bows, but will save you some $$$. You can also save a lot of $$$ buying a used sight, quiver, and stabilizers (if needed) in the classifieds and on Ebay. I still buy almost every arrow rest NEW, but sometimes get lucky with a used one. I paid over 2K for one of my Evolve 31's (New with all new accessories) from my local shop. I have another Evolve (bought online at clearance price) with a mixture of used/Ebay new accessories and have less than $750 into it....and it shoots great. I only bowhunt and shoot an occasional 3D, but shoot everyday in my back yard. If I want to buy a new bow straight from the shop, I will. If I can find a bow that I like and get it for 50%, I definitely will. It is safe to buy from the classifieds here on AT IF you check out the seller's feedback, ask lots of questions and request pics, and pay with paypal "goods and services" and NEVER, EVER use the "friends and family" option no matter how good of a deal it may seem.

#26 ·
I have purchased quite a few used bows off of archerytalk and ebay and haven't had any problems. All great experiences. Depends I guess on whether you want a warranty or not. Last I knew, Mathews warranty only applies to the original registered owner, but you might want to double check as I'm not 100% that is still true. Paypal usually has your back if you receive something other than what is described as long as you pay using the 'Goods and Services' option. I rely on lots of photos from the seller and seller feedback plus rating. I did purchase my Vertix brand new last year and it is nice to have a warranty.

#27 ·
I forgot to mention that if you buy a beyond parallel limb bow, especially one of the newer bows with quad limbs, make sure you have access to an inline press or have a pro shop close by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.