Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have hundreds of pictures of this deer from this year and a whole bunch of a deer I think is him from last year. He was a 4 point, no brow tines last year, and a 5 with no brow tines this year. I looked through my '07 pics and can't find any that I think are him (but I only had one camera then, and not where I got most of the pics this year). I'm guessing he's a 2.5, maybe a 3.5.

Anyway, is there any chance this deer ever grows brow tines at this point. I'm guessing no, and I lean towards taking him if I get the chance.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
no! He's still young! He's 2.5 and almost even with the ears he will be better next year, Dont get me wrong im all for shooting but if your doing qdma its up to you! Being that youve been taking care of him whats another year or two! Being that he will probably never give you tines you could slay him now!

·
Registered
676 Posts
by the looks of his body he is a healthy 2.5 year old. also, seeing he doesn't even have nubbin brow tines, I personally would want him out of the breeding pool if I were managing my property really strictly. But, unless you have a quite large piece of property I wouldn't bother.

My 2 cents

·
Mountain Life
6,873 Posts
one more year, then if he's not better .... take him out..

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
Culling is about as effective a tool as the Deer view mirror for 99.9% of all hunters.

The .1% have thousands upon thousands of acreage, but even recent studies (I think on the King Ranch with two big tracts) show that culling has zilch effect long-term.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Unless he is in a fence I don't see how culling a free ranging deer will benifit you in any way other than a deer in the freezer.

·
Registered
10,964 Posts
Culling is about as effective a tool as the Deer view mirror for 99.9% of all hunters.

The .1% have thousands upon thousands of acreage, but even recent studies (I think on the King Ranch with two big tracts) show that culling has zilch effect long-term.
your exactly right!!!!

No such thing as "culling"

·
Registered
307 Posts
If u want to shoot him. Then shoot him.

Looks like a few pots of chili, and some sausage to me.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Normally I would not concern myself with shooting an immature buck, but since he has been living in the same area for at least 2 seasons, and most likely will continue to live there, I'm wondering if it would make sense in this case. Can someone explain to me why shooting him would have no effect? I guess my thinking is that the only way to make sure he doesn't pass on his genetic dispostion for not having brow tines is to do so? This is the only deer I have ever seen on our property that does not have brows. I'd rather not shoot him, but if it would be beneficial to do so, I will. Based on the number of pictures I've gotten, I should have a chance.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
No let him go.

·
Registered
23,633 Posts
Cull is a term whitetail hunters use to justify shooting a buck below their typical management standards..

If you want to shoot him...do so...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts

Exactly right!! I would let him walk. Worst thing that can happen is he might breed a few does, but how many are gonna turn out like him? He is a young deer that has some potential. Let him walk.

·
Smoke check!
661 Posts
I think no...I would give him another year or so. When you normally see people "culling" bucks they are older and given a chance to grow and just have not produced. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
even without the Browtines he is already nice for a young deer...wide with potential...see what he looks like next year...

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Exactly right!! I would let him walk. Worst thing that can happen is he might breed a few does, but how many are gonna turn out like him? He is a young deer that has some potential. Let him walk.
exactly, the culling has been proven not to be effective. Basically its the humans decision and culling is their term. It says you live in IL, so really I wouldn't worry about this buck, I would be quite sure he isn't the dominant buck in the area since their range is like a 5 mile area. His home range maybe smaller but come rut, the transients will run him off a doe. I wouldn't worry. I have a 3x3 here going on 4 years now and he keeps getting wider & wider each year w/no brows. He had to be all of 20" wide last season, rough estimate 3 year old. Only thing saving him cause he's a brute of a buck is me not being able to shoot the big boy cause we have an antler restriction of 4 on a side or a youth hunter is able too harvest him. Im sure he will be a pig this season. I had to look 3 times 2 seasons ago when I pulled up on him, thankfully I triple checked to see no G1's. But it was hard letting him go, very massive.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts