Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a halon 6. My problem is my HTR I had was so damn forgiving and now with the halon I love the speed and the look its just my inconsistencies in my form really show at 30 plus yards. I could shoot my HTR out to 80 and keep it in a pie plate. I just don't know about the halon. I'm torn. Should I keep it and practice or go back to the old reliable...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
How long you been shooting the Halon? Maybe give it some more time. Only you can answer which bow is best for you.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Only you can answer that question. How long did it take for you to be consistent with your HTR. May take some time for the Halon. Everybody thought I was nuts considering and buying the HTX over the Halon. I know deep inside I made the right choice. You have to be confident that you made the right choice even if you go back to the HTR. Good Luck in your quest.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Speed bows always bring out the worst in the little hiccup's that anyone has in their shooting style. I have certain criteria I look at before I buy a bow and speed is not one of them. Consistent accuracy to me is more important than feet per second.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Speed bows always bring out the worst in the little hiccup's that anyone has in their shooting style. I have certain criteria I look at before I buy a bow and speed is not one of them. Consistent accuracy to me is more important than feet per second.
Yeah I hear ya their...

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Either way, you'll have a good bow whichever you choose to shoot this season.

HTX is outselling the Halon here, but my prediction is the HTR will be a sleeper bow this year. Already seen a few folks come to get a Halon/HTX and walk out with a HTR.

Not that there's anything wrong with this year's new crop, but the HTR is a really solid performer and that little bit more stable with its extra length/mass/riser.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
if your second guessing your choice and your shooting you may never get over it. htr is a fantastic platform sell the halon and get basically all your money back because people want them like mad right now.

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
If you hadn't been practicing regularly before you bought the Halon, you have to recover your form first (it generally takes me a couple of weeks to get it back if I take a break), but you have the addition of a new bow that shoots very differently than the HTR to get used to as well, in which case I'd say shoot it a while longer (and shoot it often) before making the decision. If you were shooting the HTR regularly and your shooting just fell apart after you got the Halon, maybe it's not the right bow for you. The other thought I had was maybe look at dropping the draw weight some while you recover your form, and maybe work with your dealer to check out your draw length compared to your HTR if it is available to make the comparison.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I agree with above. Fix your form, don't put a band aid on it. If you are physically able to shoot consistently, you should make yourself better. It's it tuned? Arrows good and the right spine? Post a video of you shooting and let some of these guys help. If the guy at bow site can shoot the halon accurately with his form, anyone can.

Sent from my iPhone
Wake and Chill R (wife's)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Arrows are Beman ICS patriots 340. And I agree. It's a learning curve with every new bow. I think I will work on.my form with this bow a little longer.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I would give it some time before I went back. How long did you have to shoot the HTR before it became a tack driver for you?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yeah I think I am going to give it time. I'm just indecisive

Im with ya on that one. I like my halon and its smooth but it seems like when I shoot for awhile, I'm not as consistent at longer distances. I've had it for about 2 months now so ill just keep shooting it. Been kinda looking at other bows, I don't know what to do!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think these new bows are more grip sensitive and follow through sensitive. I know if I don't have the correct high/low grip right I'll be off about 5" @ 40 yards (low in my case) and if I don't keep that pin on target after the shot I'll be off. And the release control is always important, just like long distance shooting with a rifle, let it surprise you. The faster the bow, the more sensitive it will be. Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone
Wake and Chill R (wife's)

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
does it matter how fast it gets there, or does it matter where it hits?

we teach our sons & daughters accuracy because typically they can't pull/shoot heavy weight fast shooting bows. my son is 12. he shoots a 40lbs bow, it's not at all a fast bow, but at 30yds, he will shoot through ping pong balls all day. He puts about 32ftlbs of energy on target. am I confident in taking him out to hunt at 35-40yds, absolutely

·
Registered
499 Posts
I bought a shorter brace height bow in 2014, it took me 2 months to start getting groups again at 20 yards. I started off like I was a new archer again. First I focused on grip, then draw and anchor. Then holding the bow still until the arrow hit the target. When I really focused on these things, my groups got a lot better, all the way out to 60 yards. Since you already have the bow I would give it some time. Improving your former won't hurt at all. As I discovered first hand. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts