Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to sight in my broadheads and I've adjusted my sights all the way to one side in order to get dead on at 20 yrds. I'm wondering if I need to move my rest in order to compensate. Trouble is, I've got a center shot that is dead on. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Switch broadheads???? Try a mechanical???
Try different shafts with more than a 2" Blazer. I hear that they just won't stabilize a broadhead.

·
Registered
272 Posts
need more info, arrow lenght & size, are the broadheads tuned to the arrow shafts (spin check) do the arrow group consistently? Center shot is not somthing that can be measured until your bow is tuned to your set-up, just changing tip weight will cause the shaft spine to change and could cause the center shot to be readjusted.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hey me too

I'm having the same problem.
I got a new BowTech TomKat it was set up for me, tuned..the whole 9 yards. I decided to replace the sight and now all shots are left, even with the windage adjusted all the way over I'm still 4" left. I scared to touch my rest since it was set up by someone w/ far more experience than I.

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
Move it!

Don't be skeered....do a search and see what others have done to fix it. Very EZ. Allen wrench.......a lil bit of reading on here.....become educated....and make it right all by yourself.

The confidence to fix your own bow is VERY important in archery.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
LookMa-NoHands! said:
Move it!

Don't be skeered....do a search and see what others have done to fix it. Very EZ. Allen wrench.......a lil bit of reading on here.....become educated....and make it right all by yourself.

Great advice !!!

Ask / Read ....Ask / Read....Ask / Read.

First thing I have to ask is how do you achieve your centershot.

Paper or Line Tuning?

Does your FP's and your BH's hit in the same place (within reason)?

TX

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your help guys!

Ok, I'll try to answer all of your questions:

Arrow length: 29"

Broadheads: Montec 100 gr.

Arrow spine: Well they're cx terminator 400's does that help?

How do I acheive center shot? Well it's supposed to be easy to check on my particular bow. Trouble is no-one else or very few folks have one like it. It's a Liberty 1 by Liberty Archery and it's design is such that the arrow rest is centered with the string and rest dead center of the cables. When they are centered you're supposed to have a true center shot.

Yes my arrows group nicely out to forty yards.

I do spin test all of my arrows.
This all started when I installed the broadheads however.

I guess I should go back and do some walk back tuning. I was hoping for a quick fix. I had my setup shooting dead on with the same broadheads with my sights almost maxed out all the way back to 40 yrds. but I was having trouble seeing my target in low light. I installed a slightly larger peep and had to move my sight all the way to the right in order to get back on zero.

By the way I'm a lefty if that means anything in this equasion.

Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wouldn't that throw the tuning off?

LookMa-NoHands! said:
Move it!

If you move the rest left or right, would't this throw the tuning off?

·
Registered
272 Posts
If you get a chance recheck the shaft size, Terminator shafts have a weight range size like 4560 or 6075, unlike the regular cx witch has a spine size like 300 or 400. At 29" you should be using tr6075 or cx300.

·
I like big buffs!
4,291 Posts
creecherman19:

If your bow IS tuned, your BH's and FP's will impact the exact same spot. In this case, then no, you don't want to touch ANYTHING. It is tuned.

If they don't hit in the same spot, then your bow is NOT tuned, so therefore, moving the rest/nocking point is necessary in order to get it tuned. Once it is tuned, shoot it, and enjoy. :darkbeer:

·
NAASP
14,399 Posts
have to agree

Sid13 said:
If you get a chance recheck the shaft size, Terminator shafts have a weight range size like 4560 or 6075, unlike the regular cx witch has a spine size like 300 or 400. At 29" you should be using tr6075 or cx300.

You could walkback tune and try to tune then with broadheads and adjusting your rest and really get no where if your spine is too weak.

Your spine could be fine for FT, but weak for broadheads.

Broadheads increase the overall length of the arrow.

Fixed blades stablize due to blades and vanes. A tad weak spine shows up here.

Do the walkback/line tuning and then try to move the rest to fine tune in with FT and BH's. If it don't work, turn down the pounds to see if that has a effect. If so you may be underspined.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts