Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive only been shooting for about a year and im a novice. Now ive learned that it would be a benefit to shoot according to your dominant eye. Im a left eye dominant, right handed shooter. My question is, should i buy a left handed bow and start from scratch or continue to shoot right handed? Im in the market for a new bow. looking at a RH Powermax. Ive only learned the basics of form, shooting, etc.. I probably sound like a noob but thats because i am. just looking for some opinions from veteran archers. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
My wife and I run an archery program for teens and we always have them shoot according to their dominant eye as this helps them shoot effectively at different distances. Also one of my best friends does the same and he is a bow hunter. Yes, it seemed a little “awkward” the first couple of times, but after that there is usually no problems at all. I’m sure there are other opinions, but this is what we’ve done for years and we have seen great success in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
976 Posts
I haven't faced this problem myself, but with everything I've read the general consensus is picking the bow according to eye dominance and overcoming that initial awkwardness is far better in the long run than continually battling the issue of opposite eye dominance.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would say get a used left handed bow for a cheap price. Keep your right handed one and use that until you get comfortable with the left handed one. This is what a buddy did and in about two months he was comfortable enough to switch to the left handed one for good.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
No time like the present to start shopping for a great used left handed bow that is priced right.

Thought I may be loosing my dominant eye due to an injury last fall. I was shopping for a lefty. Thankfully my right eye recovered a great deal & is still my dominant eye. Wish you Well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts