Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been shooting 3" fusions with no problems. I was wondering if there are any advatages/dissadvantages if I switched to feathers. They will be on .340 axis stearing Slick tricks.

I know feathers dont fare well in rain, but have been told you can coat them.

how are they for weight issues?

·
Registered
16,024 Posts
Feathers with a bit of Helical to them will sure help with fixed blade heads, that I know for sure. I have never had problems with mine in the rain as long as I coat them.

·
Alien Mafia Member
3,765 Posts
I never shoot anything else.
4'' helical for most things, going to switch to 2 1/4'' for 3D
I do try not to shoot in heavy rain if I can help it, but I do not treat the feathers.
Weight is around a third of vanes.
If the feathers are in good condition, I don't think they are much noisier than vanes.
One big advantage, no matter how beat up they are, they still fly straight:thumbs_up

Kev

·
Registered
12,985 Posts
If you put a helical on them, you will definitely hear the difference! If you practice much with them, you will definitely see the difference in their durability. I tried them for a season and went back to Blazers.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Noise

I had some arrows fletched with 4" gateway feathers with a helical and compared them to my 2" Blazers fleched with a good offset and actually the Blazers seemed a touch more noisey. Barely, but a difference. Not sure why...maybe because the feathers are lower profile. Just my personal experience.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Feathers aren't as loud as everyone thinks they are,really depends on the profile. Parabloics are very quiet but I prefer the shiled cut. I shoot them off of recurves and longbows shooting 180fps and never had a deer react to a "loud" fletching. They're very durable,lighter than vanes,stabilize the arrow very well,and just have a cool factor going for them

·
Registered
301 Posts
I like feathers. They stabilize excellently. I am using this season's Turkey wings to process fletching and to fletch all my hunting arrows for this coming deer season. A hunting arrow with turkey fletching you harvested is a very cool thing. It will be cooler when I get a deer with one.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I shot nothing but feathers for probably 20 years, then I tried Blazers and haven't looked back. I think feathers get the edge for stabilization but good vanes like Blazers have it hands down on durability and are much quieter in flight in my experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts