Archery Talk Forum banner

Wearing a safety harness! Should it be the law??

• yes

Votes: 89 24.1%
  • NO

Votes: 281 75.9%
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

· Registered
36,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Should it be up to the hunter or should it be law that you wear a saftey harness while hunting from a treestand.

Not only do I believe it should be law, but if caught not wearing one the penalty should be the loss of your tag.

It seems to me that sometimes you just have to pass legislation when there are those so bullheaded they cant make an easy decision on their own ....

· Registered
3,409 Posts
They can't even stop road hunters how would they begin to enforce it. It is like the helmet law some states have them some don't

· Registered
1,228 Posts
do i think u should wear a harness? yes....should it be law? NO! its up to the hunter whether tehy want to practice safe habits or not...not the government's...i feel the same way ab the seatbelt law....why should the government b able to dictate our choice to protect ourselves? i mean really...isnt personal safety up to the person?

· Registered
2,556 Posts
Should it be up to the hunter or should it be law that you wear a saftey harness while hunting from a treestand.
You mean like the seat belt laws? Or the cell phone while driving laws? Yeah, we know how well all of those laws work, don't we?

If a guy wants to kill himself or cripple himslef falling from a treestand, I say we let him. It's a personal choice. Besides, how would you enforce that?
Do the cops come to the hospital and write you a ticket after you fall? Do you fine the family before or after the person is buried? Are you going to have game wardens walking the woods looking for offenders? That should help with the hunt, right?

What we don't need are more laws designed to protect us from ourselves. If you don't have the common sense to protect yourself, then what good is a law going to do? Take personal responsibility for your own life.

· Registered
14,752 Posts
Hell no!

The last thing we need is more laws!:pukey:

One of the leading causes of death for hunters is heart attack.....do you think we should make it a law that you can't hunt then?:rolleyes:

· Registered
4,855 Posts
You mean like the seat belt laws? Or the cell phone while driving laws? Yeah, we know how well all of those laws work, don't we?

If a guy wants to kill himself or cripple himslef falling from a treestand, I say we let him. It's a personal choice. Besides, how would you enforce that?
Do the cops come to the hospital and write you a ticket after you fall? Do you fine the family before or after the person is buried? Are you going to have game wardens walking the woods looking for offenders? That should help with the hunt, right?

What we don't need are more laws designed to protect us from ourselves. If you don't have the common sense to protect yourself, then what good is a law going to do? Take personal responsibility for your own life.
exactly

· Registered
36,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)

read my above post on enforcement...

its a fact seatbelt laws have saved 1000's of lives.

its not about arresting idiots, its about passing legislation, and if passed most will obey. of course there will be those that do not, just like other laws.

· Registered
1,906 Posts
X2

Just what we need another unenforceable law..............
If you fail to wear it you and yours will have to suffer the consequences.
Kinda like the gift from Jesus,Fail to open it and you'll suffer the enternal consequences
>02cent

· Registered
36,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
here the same logic you are all applying.

Child seats for infants. :pukey: it should be my choice if my infant sits in a child seat, not the state,,its my kid not yours....:pukey::pukey:

I can see this is going to be fun!

· Registered
467 Posts
No....

Just what I need, the government telling me what I can and can't do when I climb a tree.........

· Registered
8,583 Posts
The day may come when we will not need such a law , reason being is the use of a TreeStand may be illeagal. And I am not to sure if it aint far away either. Should it be mandatory maybe.

Crazy Wolf.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.