Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a suggestion, but I think it would be good to have a Commercial Cam forum and a homebrew forum. I love checking this forum and seeing all the great pics but it seems every time someone has a question about a commercial cam, it turns into "homebrews better, why don't you use one" and I hesitate from posting a lot of time because of that. Homebrew guys, please don't take offense to this, I just think this could be beneficial to everyone. Maybe I'm way off, who knows. Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
Not sure? The lion’s share of posts are about home brew stuff. Maybe there should be a commercial camera forum.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure? The lion’s share of posts are about home brew stuff. Maybe there should be a commercial camera forum.
Thats what I mean, A commercial forum and a homebrew forum rather than just one "trail cam" forum.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Just a suggestion, but I think it would be good to have a Commercial Cam forum and a homebrew forum. I love checking this forum and seeing all the great pics but it seems every time someone has a question about a commercial cam, it turns into "homebrews better, why don't you use one" and I hesitate from posting a lot of time because of that. Homebrew guys, please don't take offense to this, I just think this could be beneficial to everyone. Maybe I'm way off, who knows. Just my 2cents.
As far as building homebrews etc., there already is, its called the"""" Do It Yourself Forum.""""
here is the link, http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=148
As far posting pics, I dont see the need for seperate forums, I think most guys that are into trail cams love to see pics regardless of what type of cam was used. Pike

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Been here from the start

I have been here from the start of this subforum. So far they can exsist together. I just don`t like when someone comes on here pushing there products. You don`t seem to get it. The reason most of us are into homebrew is because of all the crap and terrible customer service. Homebrews are not for everyone. Some of you just don`t have what it takes to put something together. There is also the pride of building something yourself and getting great pics from it. That is something you guys just don`t understand and never will until you get a picture from something you built. Commercial cams have there place and it is a big place compared to homebrews. You guys buy one cam and nothing bad happens so you think it is great. Then we hear you guys cry when it doesn`t work or you have to pay a hign fee to get it fixed. That is if you can get it fixed or parts are still available. I can still repair and find replacement parts for camera I built 7 years ago or more. So if you feel that you need a separate forum you guys ask for it. Ask the moderators we have been here from the start. We are not asking for you guys to leave. I like to have something to compare my pics to.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I have been here from the start of this subforum. So far they can exsist together. I just don`t like when someone comes on here pushing there products. You don`t seem to get it. The reason most of us are into homebrew is because of all the crap and terrible customer service. Homebrews are not for everyone. Some of you just don`t have what it takes to put something together. There is also the pride of building something yourself and getting great pics from it. That is something you guys just don`t understand and never will until you get a picture from something you built.
So guys who dont use home brews dont have what it takes to put some thing together? LMAO. I would if there was a benefit to me spending my time to do it myself, like saving me money etc. For example I always re wire my boats, install new trolling motors, fish finders electronics etc. because it saves me alot of $$$, I built 2 deer feeders last summer because they were alot cheaper to do it myself than buy them and if one of them got stolen I would be out alot less money. Im happy that you get pride out of your pics because you built your cams, but not everyone would, I wouldnt because I am more concerned about what is in the picture and do not care if its magazine quality etc. I currently own 15 cams, If one of them breaks, I just take it to the post office and pay $6.50 etc. to send it back, if it is older or gets stolen, I just spend $70.00 bucks and buy a new one, the 3-5 hours of my free time that it would take to build a homebrew is worth alot more to me than $70.00. I use commercial cams because it is more beneficial for me to use them than it is to build and use home brews. Especially since all I do is delete 99.9 % of my pics anyway. Pike

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just don`t like when someone comes on here pushing there products.
Exactly, except from my experience, its always the homebrew guys telling us that the commercial cams are junk and we need to go homebrew everytime some asks a question about a commercial cam. I've had great luck with performance and customer service on all my cams (except 1, my very first which was a cheapo wildview).

The reason I ask the question is that its impossible to come on here and ask a question about a commercial cam without half a dozen guys telling you that you should switch to homebrew. Its not for me, probably never will be. It would just be a lot easier to not have to weed thru those responses.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
I really doubt

I really doubt you have what it takes and anyone can say they have this and that. If you spend time wiring a boat and that time is great. Then why not build your own. I personally think you have nothing better than cause trouble on here. This is not my first experience with you and I am sure it will not be my last. If you don`t like it here then go somewhere else. The are plenty of other forums for people like you. There is also a subforum on here for photagraghy. Why don`t you take your attitude there or go to www.chasingame.com. This is a nice community and it only takes a few to ruin that. I am willing to coexist with the commercial cam people, it is you that doesn`t want to. There are some great people here on this forum that uses cammersial cams. There is nothing wrong with that. I enjoy looking at their Photos and I never hear anything bad. That is what makes this forum unique.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,651 Posts
I will be thie first to

admit - I always share the opportunity to join the homebrew community - but I NEVER have said any cam is "junk" - one man's trash is another man's treasure - FOR SURE. Any advice that I offer is from FIRTS HAND experience. I have spent a ton f $$ on commerical cams, some just to test against my Homebrews, then I usually sell them.

This entire community is predicated on "Archers Helping Archers" - I offer advise and support when asked, factual information based on direct experience. I am sorry if I have ever offended anyone with my infamous closing "...if your at all interested, hit me with a PM..." - I never meant any offense or to be pushy.

I like to think we can all get along in the same forum.....

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I see where you are coming from, but I see no need to divide up the forums. We all share the same passion...getting great pics of wildlife! I have gotten into the homebrew thing, and it is a great hobby. Still, the trail cam hobby is so much more than just the hardware.

If the forums were divided, we would miss out on more than just each others' pics. The debates regarding where to hang cams, when to check them, how to aim them, trail vs. feeder, flash vs. IR,..etc, would all suffer.

We all need to hear out each others' opinions and treat each other with respect. That's the bottom line.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,651 Posts
remember

United We Stand - Divided We Fall

AT is a Great Place, met some awesome guys here - some are friends to this day

Sometimes this kind of drama - can lead to the end....I'm sure you don't mean anything by it with your inital post, but it is very easy to see how things can get out of hand:embara::cry:

Joe

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
United We Stand - Divided We Fall

AT is a Great Place, met some awesome guys here - some are friends to this day

Sometimes this kind of drama - can lead to the end....I'm sure you don't mean anything by it with your inital post, but it is very easy to see how things can get out of hand:embara::cry:

Joe
It was simply a question of "would it be more efficient" to have 2 forums. I like to look at all the pics too, I would still go to a the homebrew forum to look at pics. But if I had a question about a commercial cam, I would ask it in the commercial forum.

Not trying to stir up drama and sorry if it has, I just see this as a better way to get the specific info you are looking for. I don't see that as "Dividing" anything, everyone is still free to view both, it just makes it easier when you are looking help on one or the other.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
I really doubt you have what it takes and anyone can say they have this and that. If you spend time wiring a boat and that time is great. Then why not build your own. I personally think you have nothing better than cause trouble on here. This is not my first experience with you and I am sure it will not be my last. If you don`t like it here then go somewhere else. The are plenty of other forums for people like you. There is also a subforum on here for photagraghy. Why don`t you take your attitude there or go to www.chasingame.com. This is a nice community and it only takes a few to ruin that. I am willing to coexist with the commercial cam people, it is you that doesn`t want to. There are some great people here on this forum that uses cammersial cams. There is nothing wrong with that. I enjoy looking at their Photos and I never hear anything bad. That is what makes this forum unique.
I could care less if you doubt it and I already tried to explain to you why I dont.
Please go back to my last post and re read it. I also never said that I dont like it here and have never said anything negative about homebrews on this site or any other and only have complemented their pictures and camera placement etc., other than that they didnt benefit me. I enjoy looking at everyone's pics regarless of what cams they choose to use. Your the one that assumes your better than everyone that uses commercial cams because you can build your own and assume that the only reason we dont is because (what was it again,?? LMAO!! Oh, thats it) """"""Some of you just don`t have what it takes to put something together.""""" And also that your pictures are better than guys who choose to use commercial cams. I have seen this attitude before on the bowsite were a few thought they were the only real bowhunters because they only hunted with bows and arrows that they made themselves.
Also why would I go to the photography forum??? I dont enjoy it as a hobby. Pike

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of you just don`t have what it takes to put something together.
This is exactly what I'm talking about, your answer was perfectly acceptable and very well put, with this one exception. You had to throw in something to show how elite you are because you are a homebrewer. Don't turn this thread into into a mudslinging competition, enough of this goes on already.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
You are right

You are right and I worked hard at it. I bought a couple of those cheap wildview cams. I took eight of them back and not one of them worked properly. I took 6 moultries back and never got one of those to work properly. The company didn`t want to hear from me or anyone else. Yes I bash anyone who promotes such trash and I am not afraid to use trash. Not all commercial cams are junk. There are some good companies out there. I never said I was an expert at the commercial cams and what is good and what is bad. There are plenty websights for that. Now if someone asked for our opinion of what is a good trailcam I am going to say homebrew every time. How many posts on here of pictures have been criticized. You still have not figured out that we started with commercial units and with all the disappointments and loss of money we went homebrew.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
What model wildview and how long ago? I have numerous wildview cams and have only had one that had a problem and it was replaced ASAP with no questions asked. I have three D-40's that have never had an issue other than one of them grew legs and ran away. I have to drive 5 hours each way and spend about $150.00 in gas and tolls to hang and check my cams, if they didnt do the job I wouldnt use them and would still be paying $200.00- $400.00 per cam like have been doing for the last 2 decades. (then homebrews would be a great benefit)
Also I think everyone here gets the fact that you and most other homebrew users started out using commercial cams.
Below is a pic from the cam that I had an issue with, ants got in it and laid eggs and the LCD display got ruined (but ants will ruin any type of cam regardless of $$ or whether or not its a homebrew or commerical cam) making it impossible to properly set the date and time, but the cam still took good pics. Pike

·
Registered
940 Posts
It would be fine with me either way on the 2 different forum thing. As far as pics I would still look at both just because I like looking at them. Since I've done away with commercial cams and started building my own I have to admit I think the homebrew is the way to go, but it's my own personal opinion, and I'm entitled to it. I won't try to force my opinion on others. The way I figure it, the more homebrewers there are the more compettion for cameras I have. I enjoy the HB hobby in itself. I think it's great that people share their pics for us all to see regardless of what camera, including handheld.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The way I figure it, the more homebrewers there are the more compettion for cameras I have.
See, I disagree with you here. The more folks that get into homebrew, the more money will be brought in and better competition will develop in the homebrew market. This will simply lead to better and better homebrew products and service which benefits everyone.

Right now, the main four main homebrew companies are Bigfoot, SSS, WS, and Yeti. Unfortunately, I've had negative customer service experiences from 3 of these 4 companies. I'd love to see homebrewing blow up so that these companies can afford to hire a staff and not have one person being R&D, Marketing, Sales, Production, Fulfillment, and Customer Service for the whole company.

More people doing homebrew most definitely benefits the homebrew community. Most see it this way too, and that is why they are so vocal.

·
Registered
940 Posts
See, I disagree with you here. The more folks that get into homebrew, the more money will be brought in and better competition will develop in the homebrew market. This will simply lead to better and better homebrew products and service which benefits everyone.

Right now, the main four main homebrew companies are Bigfoot, SSS, WS, and Yeti. Unfortunately, I've had negative customer service experiences from 3 of these 4 companies. I'd love to see homebrewing blow up so that these companies can afford to hire a staff and not have one person being R&D, Marketing, Sales, Production, Fulfillment, and Customer Service for the whole company.

More people doing homebrew most definitely benefits the homebrew community. Most see it this way too, and that is why they are so vocal.
I understand what you are saying completely, and agree to an extent. I was simply talking about the cameras themselves. (Sony P41, etc.) It seems we have driven the price of them up by bidding against each other at places like ebay. I've only been in to HB's about a year or so, and have dealt with BF, SS, and Yeti. I have had no problems with any of them, as a matter of fact, they have all bent over backwards trying to help me out whether the problem was theirs or mine. I haven't bought anything from WTS even though they have some stuff I'd love to have. I just have read too many negatives and seen too many waiting months at a time for their order to arrive even on items listed in stock so I'm reluctant to try them. But I seem to now be hijacking the original intent of the OP so I'll butt out. I would like to add before I finish though, that I have met many since starting the HB builds I have done. I have yet to meet anyone that wouldn't help me. I've had offers to ship me parts I needed from complete strangers who told me not to worry about paying for them or to pay them some other time or by trading a part I may have had. I don't think I'll ever get an offer like that from Moultrie, Cuddeback, etc.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts